Quick question about an UNreverb vst ?

• Hi ! I heard about this in the past, but could not find this tool

Do you know a vst or program that would be able to remove any reverb on a vocal take ?

I have 4 takes of voice from a singer but could not do that much with the natural reverb happening in these. I asked to the singer to sing in a closed and mate place but that did not happen.

I'd like to remove the reverb tail of these and just keep the raw voice takes.

Is that possible ?

• Yes and no,

you can remove the reverb tail but you cannot remove the impact of the room during the singing.

I know of one plugin by SPL (Spl De-Verb) and one by Izotope as a part of the RX-Suite (RX De-Reverb). I think they both offer demos / trial periods.

• For vocals, my best results come from using this method (I get quite a few voice overs from people recording at home:pinch:) :

Get the track sounding as good as you can with whatever EQ and compression you are using on the vocal track. Now duplicate the track, including FX. Flip the phase on the copy. Add a compressor at the end of the chain of the duplicate. Set the new compressor to have the fastest possible attack and set the threshold so it’s compressing at least 12 dB. Now set the release so that you are getting all the important vocal information but the least amount of reverb. It’s a balancing act, but you’ll get much better results than RX and without the artefacts. Note that you might have to add a little low end, depending on how quick you set the release, but just remember to do the same to both tracks.

Edit: forgot to say that emulated compressors don’t necessarily work as well as one common-or-garden DAW freebie for this, as the attack might not be fast enough (unless it’s a take on the 1176).