Kemper Sounds Great Through Headphones, Losing Stereo Sound in Ableton

• Hi everyone,

New user here, was on the list to get a Kemper Stage for a while and it finally came in. Been spending a few months getting my bearings and exploring, but still pretty new to all of this -- particularly on the recording side. I found similar questions to mine answered on the forum in the past, but was unable to utilize any of the solutions. Hopefully someone can identify a solution based on my vague clues...so thank you in advance!

I noticed a considerable drop in sound quality/tone when playing with my Kemper through Ableton, and couldn't put my finger (or ear) on what the problem was. When I plug my headphones directly into the Kemper, the sound quality and tone were incredible. Plugging my headphones into my Scarlett 6i6 when recording through Ableton, not so much. I did a test with some ping pong delays and noticed that when my headphones are plugged directly into my Kemper, I'm getting stereo sound; the delays are clearly panning between my ears. When I switch my headphones into the Scarlett to play through Ableton, the stereo panning isn't there. My guess is there is some Output setting -- whether in Ableton or elsewhere -- which is causing it to go into Mono.

Anyone have any insights into this? Without headphones and playing through monitors via the Scarlett, it's hard to tell if the issue is still there. Ultimately I'm trying to match the quality and tone I get when my headphones are plugged directly into the Kemper.

Thanks again for reading, looking forward to spending more time here. Let me know if I can clarify anything further.

• Welcome to the forum! Have you checked your Output settings? Make sure they're set to Master Stereo.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Thanks for the reply -- I did double check my Output settings on the Kemper, everything is set to Master Stereo.

I'm noticing the same issue without even opening Ableton, so I'm narrowing down the source of the issue to be my output/headphone settings in my Focusrite 6i6. I'll continue to troubleshoot and let you guys know if I solve it for future reference.

• Welcome, have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper :thumbup:8)

Please use the search funtion here in the forum. There have been similar threads around this in the recent past. Basic essence: The Kemper headphone out is great, it sounds extremely well. From what I read the Focusrite interfaces do not have the best headphone out. So there you lose something for sure. Try other ways of monitoring as well to discover how they might change the sound you hear.

• Hi all,

Thanks for the responses -- I solved the issue, and will post the solution here for any internet dwellers in the near or distant future who may run into the same problem.

I overlooked a simple fact: you must have two output lines running from your Kemper into your interface. The outputs then go into your interface in positions 1 & 2. In your interface settings, you'll need to change the output settings to allow positions 1 & 2 to both receive the same signal -- this will put them in stereo. Sounds identical through the headphones, monitors, and interface now.

Happy playing!