UAD Apollo Twin Routing Issue

• Hello everyone,
    unfortunately I've got an issue with the routing of the return signal when reamping with the Kemper and couldn't find any thread adressing this. The issue is documented with a few screenshots for better gras4ping the problem..

My setup is as follows:

I send a mono audio track recorded in my DAW via the line output 3 of the UAD Twin interface into the Kemper return input via jack cable. The input source is selected as "return input reamp". I go out of the Kemper via XLR cables from the left and right main outputs into inputs 1 and 2 from the UAD Twin (also XLR). The output source one the Kemper is Main Output - Master Stereo.

In the UAD console the cue outputs are set to line 3/4 and the output in Logic Pro X is set to output 3/4. For recording the reamped signal I use a new audio track, where the input is set to input 1/2 stereo and the output of that track is stereo out.

The odd thing is, that I only record one side of the signal - not stereo and it is always just the input 2 of my interface. Furthermore I can only record when the input is set to mic rather than line. When I set the first input to mic however, it gives a strong feedback noise. Therefore, I assume there's a routing issue in the console. I just cannot figure out which one it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Not sure where the feedback comes from, but make sure to mute input 1 and 2 on the Twin. Could potentially solve it.

Also when going into the Twin with XLR you NEED to select Mic. Line is only listening on the jack part of the multi-socket. In your screen shot only one of 1 and 2 are set to Mic. That is why you don't get stereo. I propose you link 1 and 2 to make it easy:

Let me know if this changes things. Also not sure why you'd set the cue to 3/4 - but that part I need to relearn everytime I need it :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Thanks for clarification! I changed the first input to mic as well. But as said earlier now I get the feedback on the first input channel. Even lowering the gain on the Kemper can’t stop the overdrive. When linking the two input I don't get any signal at all...

• Did you try muting the channels as suggested?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Yes I did, however that results in the feedback being recorded. The cables I use are totally new and quiet good. So what I tried to do is linking the channels in the interface now, but it won't solve the issue...

• Btw. my Output from the Kemper should be right (green lighting and when recording only the one channel, the signal is fine (even though just on one side). Apart from that what I did was checking if it works mono and it does. So when I check as input not stereo, but mono, the signal is fine. Odd thing though - the Kemper is set to Master Stereo, which should be wrong. The amplitude of the feedback when linking the channels can be seen in the screenshot I attached.

• So guys - issue resolved. It had to do with the sends of the UAD console. As long as any sends are still active the Kemper receives the send signals and distorts. So it was no routing issue actually but rather a (as normally always) a user issue in the console. Thanks anyway for all your help - great to know many are here to help.

• Hard to help but are you sure you don't have monitoring enabled in logic then? That could create a feedback loop.

• Hi musicmad... I am sooo tired. I am going MAD. Perhaps you can help me. I am about to sell my gear. I cannot figure this out.

Equipment: Pro Tools 10/Apollo Twin Duo/Kemper

What I am doing:

KEMPER:

GTR to Kemper

Kemper MAINT OUT to Line 1 (interface)

D.I OUT/SEND to Line 2 (interface)

Return INPUT to Line OUT (interface)

APOLLO TWIN DUO:

Inputs 1 AND 2 are set to Line, 20db gain fader set at 0.0

Pro Tools:

D.I Audio Track - Input (Line 2) to Out (Mon L/R)

Ramp Audio Track - Input (Line 1) to Out (Mon L/R)

1st issue: I cannot hear the distortion from the Kemper when I am reamping the dry signal

2nd issue: When I raise the gain or fader on Line 1 on the Apollo, I hear loud feedback (Kemper distortion way in the background)

3rd issue: I cannot even hear the distortion from Kemper when I am playing

At this point, I believe my equipment may not be working :0(

• Hm not easy but let's see how we can break it down. First you need the basic stuff to work. Forget about reamping for now. Plugin your guitar in the Kemper and the outputs from the Kemper in line 1 and 2. Do you have sound? Do you have signal in Console?

• Yes, with: Kemper MAINT OUT to Line 1 (interface) and D.I OUT/SEND to Line 2 (interface), I have sound - only thing is that the only way I hear sound is if I am in "Alternative Input" on the Input Source in the Kemper.