How to get direct out from an amp head into kemper

• Hello,

I want to make merged profiles profiling the amp itself from the cones and also the amp head direct out.

I don't know how I can get the amp speaker output signal into the kemper, because that cable has an electrical load...

It could be posible to use this DI box betwen the head and the cab? This way I can get an XLR signal. But I don't know if this DI boxes are designed to get a loaded signal like the speaker out from an amp head...

Thanks for the info.

• Hellu .

Check manual from page 286 ......

But it´s not exactly clear what kind of DI - box

they mean with "Specialized DI-box" :/

Passive / active / other specifications ????

I´m sure others will chime in and clarify this :)

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• i have’t tried that particular DI but I’m fairly confident it will work just fine. The fact that it has a -30db pad switch suggests it can handle pretty high signal levels. I usually use a really cheap ART xdirect or the active version the Zdirect. Both work fine. palmer should be a step up from them.

There is a reason that Kemper offers a special DI Box.

You can use this type of di-box if you have a direct output on your amplifier and want to convert the signal from unbalanced to balanced.

From the manual Page 82

A Direct PROFILE will be taken by feeding the output of the reference device directly, or via DI box, into the
    RETURN (or RETURN 1) of the PROFILER, rather than capturing the sound by microphone. No further preparation
    is needed. During the process, the PROFILER will automatically detect the character of a Direct PROFILE and
    disable the cabinet module accordingly.
    However, not every DI box is suitable for this job - because the DI box has
    to be placed between power amplifier and guitar cabinet, it needs to be capable of handling such signal levels.
    Some DI boxes are only suitable for line level signals and cannot be used. If the DI box provides speaker simulation, or
    attenuation, these features need to be inactive. Some DI boxes don't allow complete deactivation.

From the manual Page 293

While it is relatively straightforward to capture Direct Preamp PROFILEs from line level outputs of bass amps, or the
    send outputs of preamps, capturing them from tube amps that include the power tube section is a bit more
    challenging. It requires you to tap the sound where it is about to hit the guitar cabinet. This tap is the speaker output,
    where high voltage and high wattage occur, meaning you will need a dedicated DI box for this purpose. A
    specialized DI box like for example the KEMPER DI box can scale down the voltage to a line level signal, suitable for
    the PROFILER, on a XLR output jack.
    The high-power signal is forwarded to the guitar cabinet through a different
    output jack.

Be the force with you ;)

Edited 2 times, last by Yoda Guitar ().

• thanks Yoda. Yes, know all that but the truth is most DI boxes seem to be OK. The text in the manual seems to be more of cover our butts in case it all goes tits up than anything else. I have been using the ART Xdirect (which Burkhard suggested as suitable in the DI thread) for nearly two years without any problems. Some day I will buy the Kemper DI and see if it makes any difference but for now the ART s working just fine and I’m nearly 100% certain the palmer will also work perfectly well.

• I have been using the ART Xdirect (which Burkhard suggested as suitable in the DI thread) for nearly two years without any problems. Some day I will buy the Kemper DI and see if it makes any difference but for now the ART s working just fine and I’m nearly 100% certain the palmer will also work perfectly well.

I use the Behringer ultra-G ''which Burkhard suggested as suitable in the DI thread'' but I don't think I'll never buy a Kemper DI as far as I will never buy that 2 way switch at that price!?!? come on.

• My idea is to use that DI box between the head and the cab, but having both connected, so the current and power can go to the speakers like normal connection and the DI just "listens" what is coming thru it.

I already bought it, in the Palmer website they rate the power handling to speaker level so I think it will be ok.

I will post here as soon as I test it.

Thanks for the tips.

• Hello, just to make the point.

I bought the Palmer PAN 01 and tried yesterday making some direct profiles. The signal soundwise was darker than the real one, so I had problems merging profiles because the resultant merged profiles were darker than the studio ones.

I will return the palmer and buy some other brand.

See you.