Guitar gauge change = necessity for new setup?

• Hello,

I need some advice from some more skilled guitarists related to my new guitar.

I´m playing guitar for many years now, but always used very cheap guitars (Squier Strat and Harley Benton LP). Now I´ve bought a (for my circumstances) more expensive guitar,

it`s a FGN JIL-ASH-M and I am more than overwhelmed from this guitar.

This simply starts by the tuning experience, where the Tuner bubble got a very short spike upturned and then swings in a position and stays.

My cheapies got permanent seesaw changes of the tuner bubble, and I think it is the overall setup of the strings and specially the octave purity (or am I wrong?).

That leads me to my question, and the only downside of my new guitar: it came with a 010 - 046 string setup, that has a lot more tension on this guitar as on my LP and stratocaster (which is related to the shorter scale (LP) and the vibrato (strat), so I want to change to a 009 string set, but I fear to loose that perfect guitar setup (no money left for a Luthier).

Usually I would just try it, but I´ve read a change of the string strength could damage the saddle notches, what makes sense for me when changing to a bigger string gauge, but otherwise?

And another string gauge could cause a new setup of octave purity, or not?

I hope you understand my little skilled english and also my shakiness...

• First off, if I understand your note, it sound like your new FGN has some spiky tuning i.e. turning doesn't do anything and then it kicks in...so not gradual? That could be the nut being tighter. Actually, you'll likely get that particular issue resolved by going from 10s to 9s. The strings shouldn't be as tight in the nut.

I'm assuming that's a Fender scale instrument. I like 9.5s in Standard tuning (Daddario makes them) and 10s in Eb tuning. If you go down to 9s from 10s and keep the tuning, then you may see your action raise a touch due to less tension on the neck. That can be solved pretty easily if you have a tool to tighten the truss rod a touch. You shouldn't need to change the action of the saddles if you like where everything is at, but, the lower gauge strings with the same tuning means less tension and it's going to need just a touch of adjustment. If you were looking at the neck form the top, you'll want to turn the wrench to the right (right takes away relief, left adds relief). Just a quarter turn at most and then look at the action. That's it. Also, there can some times be intonation changes where the saddles need to move to compensate, but honestly I've rarely had to account for that in a string change. If your strings are ringing true at the open and 12th frets right now on the new guitar, then going to the lower gauge and adjusting the truss rod won't likely change that.

Hope this helps. Send me a DM if you need more help.

Matt

• Hello,

This simply starts by the tuning experience, where the Tuner bubble got a very short spike upturned and then swings in a position and stays.

Hi,

If i got Your right, I think this just depends on how much strong you Hit strigns when tuning..

try to hit them softer and it will not happen (with your fingers or useing a lighter pick)

I use 1,14 picks and if I don't use it softly it happens on every guitar, from the cheapest Chibson to the Most expensive Custom Shop. No matter about string Gauge or General Set up or Diapason lenght.

If you hit strings too hard the first vibration generates a higer pitch.. then it naturally low down by itself.

Congrat for You new giutar!

• Hey thank you for your fast answer.

You misunderstood my description for the tuning, I never had such a wonderful experience^^ before this guitar(it seems my english is much worse than I thought:D).

I`ve changed from 10 to 09 on my other guitars as well, without a doubt at all. But while tuning those, the bubble is constantly running up and down in a specific "scale", while with the FGN it is a "steady moving of the bubble without this "permanent seesaw"(I never knew that tuning a guitar could be so easy) and I refer this to the setup.

I also tried to improve my other guitars over the years, but I feel my skills very limited. I was quite satisfied with my "oldies" BEFORE I bought this new one, and now I fear to downgrade this guitar by just changing the string gauge.

I appreciate your help very much if there is no risk to harm the saddle notches, I will just try it.

• Thank you

Yes, I know that and what I was trying to descripe, is this little (tiny) over and then in to the tune of the string, that is the only move of the bubble, while I always had a need to estimate the real position of the bubble with my old guitars (okay, this sounds a lot more dramatic then it is^^)

I´ve always thought this is the normally behavior of the bubble and was so much impressed with this new FGN, that I just could not believe it and firstly plugged my old guitars in, to prove if the Kemper tuner has changed with a firmware update^^

• oh, ok!.. now I got You, .. well I'd say don't be afraid to '' downgrade this guitar by just changing the string gauge '

but at the same time ''Don't fix it if it's not broken''

If You like Your new One Like this leave it like this. no problem.

• well in this case, if You prefer 0.9 Gauge, change them.. Probably it's not even neccessary (you will not feel the need) to adjust the trussrod or anything else. and don't worry it will not starts to ''permanent seesaw'' when tuning.

• All depends on how your guitar is currently setup.

If you have a slight (good enough) relief in neck then you should be good to go with 9s. however if the next is dead straight, then the gauge change might cause a slight Backbow which might give you a little fret buzz or not.

I'd say give it a try with 9's and if they dont work out well you can always revert back to 10s if you don't want to touch the setup.

- Too Many Synths and Way too Many Guitars :rolleyes:

• Yes, and I did that with my old cheap guitars and was satisfied with what I had, but this new guitar shows me what is, how it should be, so I will try the 9s on my new and practice setup on my oldies, maybe I can do it better.:/

• The question you are asking we can;t answer...

Will changing my string gauge affect the great set up I already have?

The answer is...possibly.

String gauge affects the tension on the neck and possibility of string buzz etc. It also affects the intonation as well. Will it in your case? Its difficult to predict. I suggest change the strings and see what happens. If you get a problem it needs resetting, if not you are ok. If you can;t afford a set up, replace with the original string gauge. You lose a set of strings but nay change will cost.

I always have a pro set up on any new guitar, set with the string gauge and tuning I want because I have hit problems previously but i appreciate this is costly.

hope that helps in some way...

• Don't be afraid to do your own setups on your guitars. There's so much information out there how to do it. I never let anyone else touch my guitars for a setup simply because I know how I want my guitars and they all are in different tunings. A good luthier should take all necessary information from a guitarist before even touching a guitar and not just set it up like it was a factory setup and hope for the best lik 99% of them do. How you play, how you want the action, playing style, soft, medium or hard hitter. All that matters. And don't believe a few luthiers out there that will tell you you should never touch the guitar because you will likely ruin your guitar and only a pro can do the job. They say that for a obvious reason. Some other guitarists believe that myth and will tell the same bs. It takes some practice but it will be worth it in the end and you save your money for something else like new string.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I agree in part, but having messed around with set ups myself a skilled luthier can usually do it better. I always specify my set ups, not go for factory or their opinion.

You won't ruin a guitar with your own set up ( unless you over tighten a truss rod or over file frets) but add in a trem and I'd rather pay someone with the right tools and experience. If you are not very experienced and don;t really know what a good guitar plays like, have a pro set up is a good start.

• Every guitar player should have the book: How to make your electric guitar play great.

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Yo…uitar-Great/dp/0879309989

It's a fantastic book that shows you how to fix all sorts of issues with a guitar. One of the most used would be how to set up your guitar, step by step. This book transformed me. I was no longer worried about breaking anything. I was able to do my own setups, the way I want it, and not how some random tech liked it. A setup costs more than the book, and sometimes you need a setup done twice a year, depending on climate. Save yourself some money and learn how to do your own setups.

• Every guitar player should have the book: How to make your electric guitar play great.

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Yo…uitar-Great/dp/0879309989

It's a fantastic book that shows you how to fix all sorts of issues with a guitar. One of the most used would be how to set up your guitar, step by step. This book transformed me. I was no longer worried about breaking anything. I was able to do my own setups, the way I want it, and not how some random tech liked it. A setup costs more than the book, and sometimes you need a setup done twice a year, depending on climate. Save yourself some money and learn how to do your own setups.

Regardless of if you do your own set ups, knowing the key aspects of the guitar and how they work is really important so totally agree this is really useful.

There is no magic in doing set ups, most of it is patience and practice ( along with some knowledge) but for me it does take some investment in time. Therefore for anything with a bit of a challenge, I go to a pro. For example, my White Falcon is in for a set up as I'm not messing with nuts and an unpinned bridge :)

• Okay, I did change the string gauge and the A, G and B string produced a little buzzing, so I did the little neck setup like mtmartin71 descriped, and the buzzing disappeared... (on the A string it remains first, but I tried it the next day and it already was gone).

The only thing now, is the strings on the bridge end seem (feel) a little higher now (I expected the opposite), but I will work on this the next day.

Now I have a wonderful new guitar, that fits to my fingers^^

Thank you all for encourage me doing this... (I really love this community!)