About to Buy a Kemper - Need Advice!

• I'm about to buy the Kemper Profiler PowerHead + Remote Bundle but I'm not sure if I should get the power amp. I'd like to play in stereo using two cabinets but I understand the Kemper power amp can't accomplish that.

Usage: 75% direct recording to computer, 25% playing with a band in a small (15' x 15') room.

Current equipment: Late '70s Marshall 4x12 cabinet, Peavey Classic 50/50 rack-mount head

I think the Profiler Stage Combo (with or without the power head) is sufficient for my direct recording needs, it's playing live that concerns me. If it matters, we're playing mostly 80s metal.

For playing live, I'm thinking I have two options:

1. Buy a second cab to accompany the Marshall cab and use the Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp for stereo. If the Peavey isn't a great option, I'd appreciate that feedback as well.

2. Buy two FRFR cabinets (Kemper cabs perhaps). Can the Kemper power amp drive two Kemper cabs in stereo or am in the same boat as Option 1, meaning I still need a stereo power amp?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't played in 20 years, hence the age of my equipment and lack of knowledge with the modern digital environment.

• Welcome to the forum! The Kemper power amp is mono, so if you feel you need stereo for live play, you'd need another power amp. Personally, I think that mono is just fine for the live work. I don't play metal, so I'll leave the other advice to someone who does :)

Edit: I just realized you were considering a Stage, which doesn't come powered ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Zappledan You've already schooled me. I guess I didn't mean the Profiler Stage, I meant the Kemper Profiler PowerHead + Remote Bundle. I'm hoping not to confuse anyone reading the thread but I'm going to edit my original post.

Thanks for your comments!

• Welcome, have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper once it arrives :thumbup:8)

I'm going in stereo all the time so I bought the non-powered rack. Doing a lot of recording work (np poweramp necessary as there are studio monitors) and in rehearsals and live going with pair of FRFRs and main outs into PA. Only very few occasion where I miss the powered version, e.g. jammin' with friends without too much stuff to be carried around.

• I have the power head and remote. I rarely use the power amp, but when I've needed to it's been great to have it.

My Kabinet just arrived yesterday and I can tell just from my initial playing with it that I'll be using that almost every time I gig without in ear monitors.

I'd leave stereo for the PA.

• deadman42 If you don't mind me asking, what power amp and FRFRs do you use?

Finally So do you always use a PA or do you not care about stereo when you'll play just with the Kabinet?

I guess that begs a different question: I'll need a PA for vocals. Can I skip having guitar cabinets completely by running the Kemper and vocals to a board/PA?

• If you don't mind me asking, what power amp and FRFRs do you use?

No poweramp at all. Using powered FRFRs wedge/floor monitors from db Technologies, sorry can't recall the exact type in this moment. Have good experience with Yamaha DXR10 as well, the Headrush 108 and 112 have been discussed here in the forum a lot. You might want to use the search functionality of the forum and catch up with recent discussion. Quite helpful I'd say.

I'll need a PA for vocals. Can I skip having guitar cabinets completely by running the Kemper and vocals to a board/PA?

Well, yes and no. Yes, you can do this. Advantage: You just need that one system. Disadvantages might be that you can't hear yourself well depending on where the PA is positioned. I have the monitors mentioned above right in front of me on stage. Perfect sound for me with almost no bleed into the audience. Lots of people use in-ear monitoring as well. Your PA should be of reasonable size in order to handle vocals and guitar properly. Most venues have enough to handle what my band needs (harder rock, loud drummer), not sure what I would buy otherwise.

• I always run stereo to the PA unless the mixer is small and clogged up. I'm happy just running like this with no cab on stage. Keep in mind that I don't play metal or much hard rock and I prefer a relatively quiet stage. The last time I played with a loud band I took a 2x12 guitar cab for monitoring and it really helped everyone hear what was going on better.

So for me that's what the Kab is for - just a lighter version of my 2x12 that doesn't make all my Fender profiles sound like Marshalls due to my Celestion V30s.

• One other thing- Once you "dial in" a few profiles with your own receiver set (ears), you will then wonder just what you did without it. ;)

I went with a pair of Kone's and a "pre-built" pair of "monkee-fur" 1x12 cabs I found on eBay. They sound great! I run the Kones with a SLA-2 studio amplifier.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• I've got the power rack and I'm running Kones in a 4x12 cab. I wish the poweramp was stereo, but really that would just be a novelty. With the powered head you can go stereo to foh and mono for monitoring in a cab or Kabinet.

Having the poweramp in the head is worth it for the portability and ease of use imho.

One day if I feel I haven't already poured enough money in to this set up, I'll make a second poweramp from the Ice 250asx2 (the same amp that's in the powerhead) so I can run stereo to two 2x12's.

If you're dead keen on running stereo cabs, I'd go a rack unit with your power amp to keep it "all in one", can't offer any first hand advice on the Peavey though

• Never really understood stereo for live use, the only place that it would really apply is front center, audience to left or right of stage will hear some variance of what you are wanting them to hear re delays etc. I always play mono live. Stereo sounds great in the rehearsal space though!

I have a non-powered rack with a matrix power amp as my main rig for playing live, wireless in the rack as well. I typically have a guitar cab on stage and also use IEMs for every show.

If I had to do it again I would have saved a space in my rig and got the powered rack. Some pics before I added the wireless.

[Blocked Image: https://live.staticflickr.com/7725/28565322706_a14f2a2b34_k.jpg][Blocked Image: https://live.staticflickr.com/7725/28565322706_a14f2a2b34_k.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://live.staticflickr.com/8602/27981990783_f7c072f599_k.jpg][Blocked Image: https://live.staticflickr.com/8602/27981990783_f7c072f599_k.jpg]

• Thanks so much to everyone for all the great advice. I can see there are many possible solutions.

I think I'm headed toward a setup with FRFRs to get the full potential of the Kemper. (RIP my 42 year old Marshall cab.) I'm taking the advice of many that getting the power amp is worth it even if I don't use it often.

Stereo. I don't have any aspirations of playing outside my little rehearsal space so I may still go the stereo route. I realize that means buying a second power amp if my old Peavey Classic 50/50 doesn't work well. I also have to decide on waiting for a Kabinet, building cabinets with Kones, or buying third party FRFRs. I saw an interesting stereo setup using a Camplifier so I'm wondering if that would be a good solution. I'll have to do a little more research.

Thanks again for all the help!