What’s the difference between an IR and a Cab on a Kemper?

• Are “Cabs” basically just Kempers version of an IR? My buddy uses Axe effects and is always talking about his IRs, and I’ve just kind of assumed that we’re just called IRs “cabs” on Kemper. Are they the same thing? How are they different?

i was also reading about taking IRs and converting them to Kempers format. Does this have any affect on the quality of the IR?

• The Kemper captures the amp, speak and mic in once shot but the modelers use either and built in cab sim or an IR created by a third party. IRs can be imported into the Kemper via a conversion process and sound very good too. I personally use a mix of the studio profiles that have the Kemper profiled cab and direct profiles with IRs. I like using direct and merged profiles best.

• How are they different?

The Kemper cab portion of the profile has the speaker impedance included when profiling with a mic/cab/amp. The Axe now has an impedance option, but most IR's did/do not include the speaker impedance. You may find some difference, but you may prefer it?

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup: