Best way to link Macbook, Kemper and Yamaha HS8

• Hi everyone,

I do own a Macbook, Kemper Toaster and a set of Yamaha HS8s.

Could you please give advice what is the best way to link?

Current setup:

Macbook -> Kemper: 3.5mm Klinke Y-cable into the alternative in / return of my Kemper

Kemper -> Yamaha HS8s: Kemper Main-Outs via Microphone cable into Yamaha HS8s

The issue which I am facing but which I want to avoid is that I need to turn on the Kemper even if I just want to listen to music via my Macbook.

Which audio interface is to be recommended?

Would be great if there would be some more inputs if there would be more instruments in the future.

Thanks in advance

Dominik

• I'm running a similar setup.

Mac Desktop w/Yamaha HS8 speakers and a toaster. I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface and it works fine. Just connected the Kemper SPDIF out to the SPDIF input of the interface (but you can use XLR or 1/4" if you want). The Focusrite connects to the computer via USB cable. So as long as your MacBook has a working USB input, that's all you'd need.

I like the 6i6 because I can connect my Kemper via SPDIF and then I have my Korg Kronos connected to the MIDI inputs, and then just run a couple cable from the 2 outputs of my 6i6 to the HS8 speakers. Nice to be able to connect multiple sources at the same time.

The only thing I don't like about the 6i6 is the software that it comes with can be a pain in the a**. It's more complicated than necessary and seems to be the only complaint with the Focusrite stuff. Once you get familiar with that, everything works great. And it's an affordable interface.

• I suggest to splurge and get a great interface right off the bat if you are serious about this stuff. Life is too short for messing around with those low end ones that will keep you up at night once you inevitably realize how much they suck.

• Mine, using GarageBand:

MacBook Pro<-->single usb cable<-->Mackie Profx3 12channel-->2 balanced 1/4 speaker cables from Monitor Outs-->jbl monitors

2 xlr cables from Kemper Mains into ch1/2 of Mackie

• Scarlett Interface are very easy to use and run with iOS devices too (with a dongle USB 'girl' -> Lightning 'boy' ) with GarageBand or other DAW.

need to confirm if 3rd generation of Scarlett run with iOS devices.

if you choose and USB interface with SPDIF connection, you'll limit the break of the numeric chain.

(enough enter in details, the SPDIF connection is sometimes a debatable subject)