Profiling core concepts

• So, I've read the manual and gathered all the info I wanted. Still, there is something I'm missing about the core concept of profiling.

If I understand correctly, the process captures an amp like it sounds in that exact moment, how it is set. An algorithm then separates head and cab+mic. If so, how can the profiler know how amp regulations would respond?

An example. Let's say I have my Blues Junior set at high volume and low master and I profile it. If I invert the values and have low vol. and high master, the real amp will sound very differently. I can dial the same amount of distortion, but it's voice will be different. Same goes for eq settings. Now, the volume knob on the Kemper, I understand, only changes the rig volume and does not influence the sound at all, whereas the gain knob does what it says. So, how can the profiler recreate these conditions and how do I control this kind of parameters?

Would I have to make more profiles with different settings of the amp?

Same goes for purchased profiles, are they sold in packages with different settings, sold separately, or how does that work?

Thank you.

• As you say the Profiler captures the status quo in the particular moment with particular settings. It does not capture the individual curves of the amps' controls, e.g. gain, bass, treble and so on. Nevertheless the process obviously includes some assumptions or measurements from the Profiler which allow to tweak the profile - which will never be exactly the same as when you profile the different settings on the amp. Still it might come close. Good examle is the gain which you can dial back for instance and in many cases the result will be fairly authentic.

Would I have to make more profiles with different settings of the amp?

Same goes for purchased profiles, are they sold in packages with different settings, sold separately, or how does that work?

Yes, that's exactly what would be necessary if you want fully authentic profiles of different settings. Most players though just need a few with rather significant changes.

Commercial profilers typically include a lot of profiles with different settings (and cabs and whatever) in their packs.

• Same goes for purchased profiles, are they sold in packages with different settings, sold separately, or how does that work?

yes, usually you buy a profile and get a bunch of settings, usually more than you need.

e.g. if you take a high gain profile and roll down the volume pot of your guitar, it will clean up very much like the real amp with less gain,

or if you reduce the gain in the profiler, you get a similar result. adding gain seems to be different.

• Then I guess it's just a matter of how much you can effectively tweak the profile. Not that It'd be a game changer, but I'm still going to see if I can undertstand that better. It would be much simpler for me to just try, but unfortunately I don't know anyone with a kpa around here and stores don't have them for some reason.

• I just buy a profile pack and use the ones that have the right gain level/sound for what I'm after and save them as "my" profiles.

If I find myself regularly wishing a profile had more gain I'll usually replace it with another profile, rather than trying to sculpt the other one into something it's not.