Saturnalia

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Still on the search for that big guitar sound, another day another step, sometimes forwards, sometimes backwards.

• Thanks, I’m not sure I understood the last part of what you said, it looks like English but seems to be suggesting there’s some acceptable less than maximum largeness on guitars which clearly can’t be what you intended because that makes about as much sense as saying there’s a loud enough amp. I must be miss-reading.

• Nice huge sound Per, I like when the full band kicks in after the intro. That has a really nice push and the guitars sound quite well. Not too big I'd say and agree with @monkey_amn that it fits well as it is. Bigger is not always better 8o

• Still on the search for that big guitar sound...

The big guitars are big-enough for the sound of the period, I reckon. No point in their being even-bigger IMHO, Per.

IOW, you needn't strive for something bigger... IMHO. By "period" I meant the era when that sort of mix was popular.

Thanks, I’m not sure I understood the last part of what you said, it looks like English but seems to be suggesting there’s some acceptable less than maximum largeness on guitars which clearly can’t be what you intended because that makes about as much sense as saying there’s a loud enough amp. I must be miss-reading.

Well, there is such a thing, of course. I can hear Quincy Jones right now saying, "The rhythm guitar is too-big. This will be a pop release so let's tone it down a bit and re-track it." He said a similar thing after hearing Beat It once Steve Lukather had finished his tracking, declaring that the guitars overall were too-heavy for a mainstream pop release with the aim to flood the market the way it was hoped Thriller would. Bear in mind that Steve wrote and played all the parts except for the lead break, so that iconic chorus riff and chika-da_da-daa, chika-da_da-daa rhythm part ushering in the lead break were his.

Granted, Quincy said, "too-heavy", but it could just as easily have been "too-big"... IMHO.

Another way of looking at it:

When I listened I wondered what more you could have done to increase size without totally washing out / dominating the mix with the geetar, and I could come up with nothing. At the same time I felt that it wasn't necessary anyway. That there burger is already supersized IMHO, brother. :D