Be aware of the digital sonic artifacts (aliasing) in your KPA!

• My guess is that it comes down to the bottom line--Kemper probably had a price point that they wanted to meet, and a compromise had to occur somewhere--so perhaps there was a hardware cost-cutting measure, or they just felt like the current processor was up to the task.
    When Line 6 made the POD X3--which had lots of aliasing--that unit had the SHARC ADSP-21369 at 266 MHz (KSZ-1A), 1.6 GFLOPS DSP, and when they put out the POD HD, which had no noticeable aliasing, that unit had the SHARC ADSP-21369 at 333 MHz (KSZ-2A), 2.4 GFLOPS DSP.
    I imagine there was plenty of code updating, but without that faster processor, I doubt L6 could have eliminated the aliasing.

The Axe-Fx II has [2] ADSP-TS201S: 500/600 MHZ TIGERSHARC PROCESSORS with 24 MBIT On-chip EMBEDDED DRAM. Though I think the KPA is superior in most ways, the Axe-Fx II likely has more horsepower. I peaked inside the KPA and saw one main DSP with no name on it, so who knows if there is enough power there to faithfully produce the kind of resolution we would expect.

Kemper beats Fractal Audio in value, but I would have paid more to have the ultimate KPA with no compromises--that's assuming they did compromise, hell, maybe they will correct this in the next firmware update, then we can go back to making music and stop speculating.

Kemper, may we please have some specs? If you don't give it to us, we love you anyway... but throw us a bone.

• The main DSP is a Freescale DSP (formerly Motorola) running at an equivalent of 400 MHz speed.

http://www.guitar-muse.com/kemper-profiling-amp-2949-2949

I don't think the issues are due to lack of processing power although a huge amount of processing power makes programming easier since you don't need to be as efficient. I think it is just matter of time and it should not take them very long to fix it.

The Axe II uses one of the 2 processors exclusively for the amp modelling, but they were using only one for FX and amp modelling on the Axe Ultra, the sound quality on the FX is on par to the ones in the Axe FX II and the amp modelling was great just not as good as now. Don't forget that Fractal is modelling all main components inside an amp and the interaction between. They need much more processing power to get the same results than using the Kemper approach.

• You think line6 could do better if they just put in better hardware? I don't believe that.

I didn't say that, I said: 'I imagine there was plenty of code updating, but without that faster processor, I doubt L6 could have eliminated the aliasing'. But the point is, when it comes to pro audio gear, it's always best to have the fastest processing hardware that is reasonably possible, even if it's more than is needed, to provide some headroom and to allow for future expansion. Wouldn't a dual amp option be awesome in the KPA? It's probably not possible with a single processor, so this opens the possibility of a future, more robust KPA II HD. I understand that it's business, but the technology exists now.

The global sampling rate of the KPA is 44.1 kHz, while the internal sampling rate is partially much higher, I wonder if that 44.1 k has something to do with the noise.

Edited once, last by miles ().

• OK - If my wording proves to be incorrect I will be happier than anyone. I have tried to be clear that I am talking about the 'containment vessel' for the Profiler, not the Profiling technology/coding itself - to me there is a substantial difference in implementation between the two...

PS: All my Strats have humfree pickups, and still sound quite 'stratty', otherwise I wouldn't take them onstage - everyone's different ^^

All modelers known to man 8o

• OK - If my wording proves to be incorrect I will be happier than anyone. I have tried to be clear that I am talking about the 'containment vessel' for the Profiler, not the Profiling technology/coding itself - to me there is a substantial difference in implementation between the two...

PS: All my Strats have humfree pickups, and still sound quite 'stratty', otherwise I wouldn't take them onstage - everyone's different ^^

Although I would take out some of the pricklies from your statements, I do generally agree that updating the "containment vessel" would be greatly appreciated and (in some places that you point out) very much needed.

Noiseless and stratty, you make some people jealous!

• Although I would take out some of the pricklies from your statements, I do generally agree that updating the "containment vessel" would be greatly appreciated and (in some places that you point out) very much needed.

Please explain specifically about the 'pricklies' you refer to - don't be vague, but spell them out clearly and I will respond with a likewise serious answer...

• Noiseless and stratty, you make some people jealous!

No need to be jealous - it's easy! I use two hi output twin-blade Dimarzio PUs for Neck & Bridge, and one Bill Armstrong zero hum Strat PU in the middle....anytime I engage the middle PU, it's quack-city - Stratsville for days! Zero hum & noise, all the time...

• Please explain specifically about the 'pricklies' you refer to - don't be vague, but spell them out clearly and I will respond with a likewise serious answer...

I may not agree with adjectives such as very weak, unacceptable, unreliable, unrealistic. I have my issues with the box but I would not go so far as you.

• And if you're a total 'Strat Purist', simply use a balanced set of Bill Lawrence (zero hum) Strat PUs for a brighter neck & bridge PU response...

• Please explain specifically about the 'pricklies' you refer to - don't be vague, but spell them out clearly and I will respond with a likewise serious answer...

'I am talking about a 'support system' with very weak Noise reduction, Stomp ODs with unacceptable amounts of aliasing and noise, an unreliable OS, and totally unrealistic startup times for performing.'

Is the above quote what you object to? I honestly don't see anything inaccurate or 'prickly', but a rather honest assessment of the current 'package', with the current OS. There are also advertised features that remain nonexistent.

• Again, I often feel that Kemper would do everyone a favor by selling/leasing their profiling system to a larger company with more support & financial clout who could expedite the process & bring amp profiling to the undeniable forefront of modern guitar sound...

• Again, I often feel that Kemper would do everyone a favor by selling/leasing their profiling system to a larger company with more support & financial clout who could expedite the process & bring amp profiling to the undeniable forefront of modern guitar sound...

This isn't constructive criticism or constructive advice, this is an insult to Kemper.

• This is an insult to Kemper.

Why Lance? CK Kemper has made a great contribution to guitar sonics regardless if he is in sole control of the manufacturing process, no? His is the master creative aspect of envisioning the profiling process and bringing it into being no? How can his creativity/creation be demeaned? My comments are fueled by the rather slow process of updates, bug fixes, fulfilled features, etc... please don't tell me I'm the only one who has become concerned about this stuff.

• Why Lance? CK Kemper has made a great contribution to guitar sonics regardless if he is in sole control of the manufacturing process, no? His is the master creative aspect of envisioning the profiling process and bringing it into being no? How can his creativity/creation be demeaned? My comments are fueled by the rather slow process of updates, bug fixes, fulfilled features, etc... please don't tell me I'm the only one who has become concerned about this stuff.

It took Fractal six years to come up with Axe-FX11, OS6.
    It's taken Line 6 fifteen years to come up with the HD series.
    Boss can't even progress beyond COSM.

The KPA has been out for 4 months and in 4 months it's risen to the top of the rankings.
    Almost every bug fix has been completed, one promised feature, the Performance mode is still to come.

What's there to be 'concerned' about?

• and totally unrealistic startup times for performing.'

Exactly how many times do you start up when performing a show? :D It's good to let even real tube amps warm up for at least 10 to 20 minutes you know. I can't see how 2 or 3 minutes for the Kemper to boot is killing show times. Plus Neil could use the extra pre-show setup time to get his hairpiece and pants snake perfect.

Edited once, last by Animus ().

• Why Lance? CK Kemper has made a great contribution to guitar sonics regardless if he is in sole control of the manufacturing process, no? His is the master creative aspect of envisioning the profiling process and bringing it into being no? How can his creativity/creation be demeaned? My comments are fueled by the rather slow process of updates, bug fixes, fulfilled features, etc... please don't tell me I'm the only one who has become concerned about this stuff.

I believe they are quite fast fixing issues compared to most companies. In 4 months they have released 8 firmware versions with different improvements, additions and fixes (brought to their attention by users or not). Should Line 6 have sold their modelling technology to a bigger company when they released their first POD because it was not perfect and had its issues? I think they have done pretty well since then, don't you think? And I don't recall Line 6 (even today) releasing fixes and updates as often as Kemper.

Edited once, last by MadH ().