Is there a thread or video on connections required to Profile an amp (using Stage)?

• Title says it all. I've searched high and low, and the process itself seems simple, but very little is discussed about the cabling?

I found one that talks about the signal running in a circle. It seems like it makes sense. Guitar into Kemper. Kemper send to amp input, amp out to cab, cab miced up and brought back to Kemper via the Return.

I'm getting a message saying the Reference amp can't be found. I'm using an XLR to TRS adaptor for the mic cable, into the Kemper Return.

I am getting the spacey sci-fi signal attempting to profile, but for some reason it's not recognizing the mic'ed signal from the amp.

Where did I screw up?

• What mic are you using? If it’s one that requires phantom power, you’ll need a mic preamp. Otherwise, it sounds like you’ve got the cabling right (send 1 and return 1, I’m assuming).

• I am brand new to this ... I borrowed friend's Sennheiser. That may be my issue (mic preamp)

I don't even know what phantom power means...

He also have me an SM57 ... I guess I'll have the same issue?

• make sure you are using send 1 and return 1

Guitar plugs into Kemper input

Kemper Send 1 goes into amplifier input

Mic from amplifier or D.I. output to Kemper return 1

You should now be able to hear Kemper and source amplifier. If you are getting no amp found, try increasing input level. Also make sure your mic does not need phantom power (Kemper does not offer that, you would need a phantom power box or mic pre). Make sure there is no mic pad turned on.

• I believe it's a Senn 421. Amp is a Tomaszewicz TZZ17.

I'm fairly sure I need a mic preamp. Not sure why my buddy didn't tell me that, he knows Im new at this.

So if I need to go to GC tomorrow to pick up a mic pre, and I don't have any future goals to be a studio engineer :) what should I look for? I also think I will buy an audio interface for recording while I'm there, would that power the mic?

• The microphone doesn't need a preamp. You can plug it directly into RETURN 1.

You could check, if you receive a signal, if you talk into the microphone while plugged into the guitar input of the Stage.

• OK cool, thanks. My buddy gave me the mics knowing they didn't need power … I presume.

The adaptor cable is brand new.

And just to confirm, the manual says TRS back into RETURN1. Not a standard instrument cable?

• It was the mic. The SM57 worked.

So I busted my cherry on profiling. It was over fast and the results were less than spectacular. But you can't beat the thrill of the first time ;)

I have a level issue I need to sort out. The profile came out distorted. I messed with the levels bit, and tried again, no distortion, but very thin.

So most of my profiles seem to be at a volume I like at 4 (green lights), so I shoot for my max volume somewhere in that vicinity, and use the amp volume control to even them out. That's typically loud enough to bother my neighbor, so I keep it to daytime hours.

The first amp I am doing is a dirty/clean Vox sound with some grit. The reference amp is louder than I typically play for the tone I am shooting for. How do i go about balancing the levels to get that tone at slightly lower volume (I know Fletcher-Munson, and I will lose a little, but it shouldn't be as thin as what I am getting in my profile)

Mic positioning ... and levels, have to be the culprit. I will experiment, but any tips are welcome.

• A mic pointed straight on at the dust cap of the speaker will yield the most trebly, thin, piercing sound. Try experimenting with angling the mic 45 degrees and pointing at the edge of the cap. Still too bright? Move it bit by bit towards the outer edge of the cone until you hit something you like.

• Here is a vid I made a while ago on profiling with the Stage. You would only need to replace the load box return with you mic input

OK cool, thanks. My buddy gave me the mics knowing they didn't need power … I presume.

The adaptor cable is brand new.

And just to confirm, the manual says TRS back into RETURN1. Not a standard instrument cable?

You may need a XLR to TRS adaptor. It does need to be a balanced input.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.