The .kipr/.krig filetype evolution (more info requested)

• First off, let it be clear I’m not seeking to disassemble or reverse engineer the files but to understand “rig” compatibility between OS versions...

Some stuff here requires an explanation (or correction) from a more knowledgeable person...

Having made the jump to the latest os7, i am aware that my presets (some that date as far back as 2012) need updating to ensure they work with os7. Something of interest i have learnt is that the OS needs to do a migration-task when loading an “older” preset. After loading, saving the “migrated” preset manually should store it in the latest format and, i presume, omit the need for the migration-task next time it is called upon.

Over the years of the kpa development, we know the file-structure of a “rig” (saved as a “.kipr“ file) has evolved to accommodate the additional parameters introduced with new features and functions most recently the introduction of the “kone imprint”. And, just like any other progressive software, the saved file types may need to increase in size respectively. Often during an OS upgrade the kpa informs us that all rigs and other stored user data gets “updated” to integrate with the new OS.

I’d like to understand the history of the kipr file and how its compatibility has changed. For example, what OS can accept an “os v7 .kipr file” and, more specifically, i want to know how the latest OS deals with older rigs and kipr files and any action that can be done to optimise the kpa generally.

• At what point did .kpir files get superceeded by .krig files?

I dont recall reading info or an official announcement anywhere on this. did i miss something?

a flick through the rig exchange reveals a little more. A few rigs from across the years:

Year: 2020 Filetype and size: .krig 5,755 bytes

Year: 2020 Filetype and size: .krig 5,688 bytes

Year: 2019 Filetype and size: .krig 5,732 bytes

Year: 2018 Filetype and size: .krig 5,590 bytes

Year: 2017 Filetype and size: .kipr 5,601 bytes

Year: 2016 Filetype and size: .krig 5,543 bytes

Year: 2015 Filetype and size: .kipr 6,404 bytes

Year: 2014 Filetype and size: .kipr 4,149 bytes

Year: 2013 Filetype and size: .kipr 3,966 bytes

Year: 2012 Filetype and size: .kipr 3,827 bytes

The size increase i expected but as for the change of extension indicating a different file type, i'm not sure.

Could it be that there is some auto-updating of the rig-exchange presets to ensure compatibility?

I'm guessing that as you export or load a preset rig-manager updates it to the "new" file format. This would make sense.

The question still remains, what OS can handle what filetypes and what are the inherent differences between these file types?