Rig Manager 3.0.120 not updating Rack

• Hi Guys -- hoping for some insight. Trying to update my Rack Profiler to OS 7.3.2 (current 7.2.2). Rig Manager 3.0.120 running on a MacBook (iOS 10.14 Mojave). Things have been running fine, but now trying to update the OS and Rig Manager says the Profiler needs and update -- i say ok and nothing happens. It says it will go look for the software and will take a few minutes. Have tried several times and left the MacBook alone for 20 minutes and nothing. All I have now is Rig Manager showing me and exclamation point (!) on my profiler with "needs update" in the bottom left of the screen (see screenshot below). I've updated the Rack Profiler before using the USB flash drive method.

Help! thanks,

Greg

Edited 2 times, last by GCNC8068 ().

• well, answered my own question. Apparently you have to enable Rig Exchange in Rig Manager or it never downloads the software. I had not enable that because candidly I wasn't interested in Rig Exchange at this point (I use the Rack almost exclusively for live work, and I've purchased the small lot of profiles I wanted (Britt and Dr Z) and have found "my rigs" for what I need -- didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of auditioning 100's or 1000's of other rigs).

Also, it appears the Rack must be in Tuner mode or it won't update (Browser or Performance modes don't work). Or, at least it wouldn't update for me outside of Tuner mode.

It's convenient to update software all via Rig Manager -- but there appears to be an absolute absence of instructions or directions in Rig Manager or on the Kemper download site (in fact, the update instructions for the latest OS say to use the flash drive method - which doesn't seem to work now, at least for me).:huh:

• well, answered my own question. Apparently you have to enable Rig Exchange in Rig Manager or it never downloads the software. I had not enable that because candidly I wasn't interested in Rig Exchange at this point (I use the Rack almost exclusively for live work, and I've purchased the small lot of profiles I wanted (Britt and Dr Z) and have found "my rigs" for what I need -- didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of auditioning 100's or 1000's of other rigs).

Also, it appears the Rack must be in Tuner mode or it won't update (Browser or Performance modes don't work). Or, at least it wouldn't update for me outside of Tuner mode.

It's convenient to update software all via Rig Manager -- but there appears to be an absolute absence of instructions or directions in Rig Manager or on the Kemper download site (in fact, the update instructions for the latest OS say to use the flash drive method - which doesn't seem to work now, at least for me). :huh:

You're right, we should point out more prominently that you need to be logged-in to get updates. Logging in is the first setup step in the manual but yes, we don't explicitly mention that.

As for the rest, you're wrong though. Updating using a flash drive works and you don't need to be in tuner mode for that. Please contact support if you need help there.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• Thanks for the update. I was logged into the Kemper site, but had not activated Rig Exchange in the Rig Manager. Failing to do that made Rig Manager not get the download. Once I activated Rig Exchange and provided my login credentials, Rig Manager worked fine. I think the clarification is that "logging in" on Rig Manager means checking the Rig Exchange option in Preferences and providing your credentials (or make Rig Exchange a default rather than an option).

With respect to the USB option -- my Rack would not recognize the flash drive (i.e., would not format it or see it). In hindsight, that may be because I have the rear USB plugged in via a rear interface panel (with "permanent" connections between the Rack and the panel so it's easier to make connection to my rack case during live setup), so I have a USB cable always available for my laptop. I have performed two prior OS updates using the same flash drive, so it generally has worked ... I suppose the Rack won't recognize both USB ports at the same time? I did unplug the USB cable from my MacBook during one try, but did not unplug the cable from the rear USB port on the Rack.

Thanks for the follow up.

Greg

• . I suppose the Rack won't recognize both USB ports at the same time? I did unplug the USB cable from my MacBook during one try, but did not unplug the cable from the rear USB port on the Rack.

Greg

It does. I have my kemper permanently connected to a computer by the rear usb socket - and the front socket still works for updates - and plugging in a keyboard to type in profiles names.

• thought I'd follow up -- my flash drive was mis-formatted, hence the reason the Rack would not recognize it. Not sure how that happened since it's the same flash drive I used before ... but I have a MacBook and maybe it reformatted when I downloaded the new OS.

Anyway, seems it was pilot error ... need to be 100% sure you format any usb drive in FAT32.

And be sure to have Rig Exchange turned on in Rig Manager so your are "logged in" to Kemper so that Rig Manager will handle software updates of itself and the Profiler OS.

Greg