Need Help, using Midi with Band Helper and Stage

• My goal is to run Bandhelper to select a song that will automatically change my Stage to the performance for that song. - I need to know what do I set the Kemper system to? Page 7 & 8 of the systems button shows some midi values and I need to know what to set those to? Also under the performance mode (Edit)(midi Settings) what do I put for midi Device A, message, Device B, message? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

“I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.”

Dave Lee Roth of Van Halen - 1979

• midi device A & B is for midi devices attached to the Kemper

All you need to do is match the midi number on the Kemper to the send channel on Bandhelper

Set up you Kemper program numbers in Bandhelper

I do this with setlist maker . I have it just send the first program change for each song

I

• In the Kemper, go to System settings page 14 and change Midi device A to be on channel 5.

Go to Bandhelper/Midi devices and add a new device Kemper and assign it to channel 5, and change the numbering to 1 - 128

Now you have set it up so that if you choose 1, you will go to performance 1 slot 1.

Go to Bandhelper/Songs/edit and add a midi preset. I tend to name my presets the same as the song, just in case I want to change the performance slot later.

In Bandhelper where it says Program Changes/Bank MSB, Bank LSB, Program put in 12 or something in the "program". If you put 12 in there, you will be picking 3rd performance, slot 2 as an example.

Putting a 1 in there would be performance 1 slot 1. Putting in 6 would be performance 2 slot 1.

Enjoy!

• I use set list maker. I set the Kemper to its own midi channel 1. I use a GR55 and have it set to device a and channel 2. Setlist maker switches the Kemper

To b honest the Kemper only needs to be set to its own unique channel

• I use set list maker. I set the Kemper to its own midi channel 1. I use a GR55 and have it set to device a and channel 2. Setlist maker switches the Kemper

To b honest the Kemper only needs to be set to its own unique channel

Yup, I use bluetooth from my tablet to a Yamaha MD BT01 wireless into the Kemper.

• I want to change my recommendation from

Go to Bandhelper/Midi devices and add a new device Kemper and assign it to channel 5, and change the numbering to 1 - 128. Seems that numbering 0 - 127 works better now after factory resetting my Kemper

• OK - I think I am missing something, I am using the Stage so under systems I have Midi Device A set to Channel 5, in Bandhelper I added midi device (Kemper) channel 5. I have the song Program Changes/Bank MSB, Bank LSB, Program 50 (it's in the 10th bank 1st slot. So far I can't get it to change to the slot. Are either of you using the Stage, I doubt that is the problem. In Bandhelper it shows MIDI Song Number - I have tried that blank and with the same number as the program.

- In the activity log in the Bandhelper app it indicates it is sending date one song says (F3, 32) to all ports, another says F3, 3D) to all ports and a 3rd says (f3,OC) to all ports.

Edited once, last by sstauffer ().

• OK - I think I am missing something, I am using the Stage so under systems I have Midi Device A set to Channel 5, in Bandhelper I added midi device (Kemper) channel 5. I have the song Program Changes/Bank MSB, Bank LSB, Program 50 (it's in the 10th bank 1st slot. So far I can't get it to change to the slot. Are either of you using the Stage, I doubt that is the problem. In Bandhelper it shows MIDI Song Number - I have tried that blank and with the same number as the program.

- In the activity log in the Bandhelper app it indicates it is sending date one song says (F3, 32) to all ports, another says F3, 3D) to all ports and a 3rd says (f3,OC) to all ports.

What is the device you are using Bandhelper on, and how is it connected to the Stage?

• go to Kemper (I think in global settings) and set it to midi channel 1.
    set Bandhelper midi to channel 1

Do you have a Bluetooth to midi converter (Yamaha bt01 is a good one)

If it’s plugged in correctly to the Stage midi in and out. It should work

Are you using an iPad for Bandhelper ?

• I'm using the Yamaha bt01 Bluetooth converter and a 1 year old iPad and a Kemper Stage. -The Adapter connects to the iPad and app and I can tell that the ipad is sending a signal according to the activity log in Bandhelper but it doesn't change anything on the Kemper. The BT101 wouldn't connect with my older ipads so I am going to see if I can test it with another setup to make sure it is receiving the signal from the iPad. I tried setting the midi channel on the Kemper and in the app to 1 and also to 5. I reset the global settings but still nothing.

• Interesting... I know that you are not supposed to use the device (iPad) to connect to the Yamaha BT adaptor. You are only supposed to use the Bandhelper app to connect to the Yamaha.

If you connected to the iPad itself, delete that connection and only use the app.

• Interesting... I know that you are not supposed to use the device (iPad) to connect to the Yamaha BT adaptor. You are only supposed to use the Bandhelper app to connect to the Yamaha.

If you connected to the iPad itself, delete that connection and only use the app.

Are you saying use an iPad to midi hardwire connection? I thought about trying that but I don't own one currently.

• Are you saying use an iPad to midi hardwire connection? I thought about trying that but I don't own one currently.

Nope. Just saying that if you go into the iPad bluetooth to connect to the Yamaha that's wrong. Do not use the iPad built-in bluetooth, just use the Bandhelper app to connect to the Yamaha.

I know it sounds silly/ridiculous, but that's how it works.

• Gotchya, yeah it won't even recognize it unless I go through the app. - I have a gen 2 ipad and I can't get it to link at all, it does link up with the new iPad but I still can't get it to recognize the signal coming from the iPad so I am wondering if the Yamaha adapter is defective.

Nope. Just saying that if you go into the iPad bluetooth to connect to the Yamaha that's wrong. Do not use the iPad built-in bluetooth, just use the Bandhelper app to connect to the Yamaha.

I know it sounds silly/ridiculous, but that's how it works.

• Gotchya, yeah it won't even recognize it unless I go through the app. - I have a gen 2 ipad and I can't get it to link at all, it does link up with the new iPad but I still can't get it to recognize the signal coming from the iPad so I am wondering if the Yamaha adapter is defective.

Hmmm... can you try it with your smartphone?

• If Bandhelper is Like SetList Maker. You have to reconnect the signal every time you reopen it. The connection is in the app. Not the blue tooth settings in the iPad settings

Open the app, open your SetList, should be a midi icon in upper corner ,tap it ,

This should open a pop-up window, now open the “connect to Bluetooth “

Tap on the device in window. That should connect the app to Bluetooth

You should now be able to send midi commands as long as you have them set up in the app

You set these up in midi presets

• Hmmm... can you try it with your smartphone?

I have an android phone and I can't get the Yamaha to connect to it. I called yamaha and they said it is not compatible with android.