Stereo recording, then panning

• Hi,

I like to double track my guitars and pan one left and right for that fuller sound. If I'm using a profile with chorus / flange effects I also like to record that track in stereo as mono sounds flat and lifeless. I assume it needs a stereo field to come to bring the effects to life.

However, I also assume that when I pan to the left in my DAW, it simply takes more of the left signal and less of the right. i.e a hard pan left just knocks out all of the right, so essentially back to the same starting point.

Does anyone have a technique for this or do you simply have to make a call between stereo or two (lifeless) monos?

Thanks.

• I usually record totally dry and then use plugins to add effects later. I'm sure there are several ways to accomplish what you're trying to do, but one easy way would be to record your main and then layered tracks in stereo with the stereo effects you want on them. Then in your DAW or sound editing software, just reduce one side of the wav file's volume to zero, and then do the same on the other side in the other wav file. Then repeat the process (record two new tracks to use for left and right layered tracks and then again mute one side of each). Just make sure you're muting the same side on each track. The key will be to make sure your playing when layering tracks is spot on.

For sound editing programs, I use Sound Forge, but free programs like Audacity will allow you to do the same thing.

• Not sure what DAW you are using but if you are using Logic, you have to pan with the "direction mixer" if you want to retain your stereo sound; if you pan stereo using the pan knobs, it will just give you more of one side of the stereo.

• To get an intense stereo effect, try this - Record a mono track, create a copy of the track in your DAW. Pan the 2 L/R. Drag one of the tracks a tiny bit to the right and lower its volume.

Now you use panning and track volumes to get it where you want it in the mix.

• I’d rather record wet/dry and pan the dry track but keep the stereo effect, if you don’t want to use the effects in your DAW (which I’d almost always do in practice).

• Hi,

I like to double track my guitars and pan one left and right for that fuller sound. If I'm using a profile with chorus / flange effects I also like to record that track in stereo as mono sounds flat and lifeless. I assume it needs a stereo field to come to bring the effects to life.

I've just started recording this way recently, with so far good, interesting results. I used to record only in mono. Using Reaper DAW, you have 5 different options under the pan control on each track. The most interesting one is 'Dual Pan' mode. What this does is creates 2 pan controls on that track. So if recorded in stereo for the left guitars for example, I'll set one at 100%L, one at 50 or 60L, then do the opposite on guitar #2. Under normal mono pan, I like 100L/100R for the separation, somehow this sounds better, different than say 70L/70R or similar. The dual pan creates an even balance for me- example- parts where everything drops out, and one guitar is playing solo- If you're 100L it really drops out and you'd have to automate for proper audibility. Anyway, hopefully whatever DAW you use has some similar options to try....

When you add a small amount of Micro-pitch or chorus, then things get even more interesting!