Different ways to profile an amp???

• I don't have my Kemper yet, so I will ask a BASIC question. Does Kemper have a instruction book online to read? From what I have heard you connect your guitar to the Kemper which get's connected to the amp you want to profile.
    Hit the Profile button and the outer space sounds start. LOL Then you play the profiled amp to refine the sound. Can you profile an amp without Micing up your amps cab? You know just connect the Kemper to the amp and hit Profile and then your done, besides refining the sound. I keep reading about everyone Micing up everything and the Kemper hears the amp through your studio Monitors sort of thing. Will somebody please clear this up for a newb to all of this :) ?(

• Guitar into KPA.
    Direct out of Kpa into amp.
    Mic the amp.
    Mic goes back into KPA xlr input or into pre amp and into KPA via the TRS input. If you don't want the cab, take line out of the amp into KPA instead, or line out from an attenuator/dummy load. That's your profiling loop.
    Select an existing KPA profile which is similar to your amp.
    Go to profiling.
    Compare volumes of the KPA profile with Reference Amp (the mic'd amp) and make sure that you're not overloading the KPA's input. Input volume is controlled by the return level.
    Start the profiling process. Bring on the aliens and the sounds of the industrial revolution.
    Compare KPA (your new profile) with Reference Amp. If the two don't sound the same (and mine never have) then hit 'Refine' and play along for a while. Comparison has to be done outside the KPA - can't do it through its headphone output. Need to do it through your monitors or their headphone input. Ideally these should be in a different room to the one in which the amp is set up.
    Then press finish and compare again.
    Several goes later - it may be a few minutes of playing, it may be much longer - you will get them the same.
    Now you press store.
    Upload your new profile onto Rig Exchange. You don't have to make it available to everyone. You can now edit it with correct details. It's very tedious doing this on the KPA.

Do searches on this forum about refining. This is the critical process in getting a good profile (along with good mic'ing technique for getting a good amp sound for Reference amp).

Vintage amp obsessive

• Hey awg427,

mic'ing your amp is the only way to capture the interaction between the poweramp and the cabinet (which BTW is a huge fraction of the sound of any amp).
    You can use a DI (hence profiling the preamp only and its interaction with the DI) or a dummy load with a line out (hence profiling the interaction between the poweramp and the dummy); you will of course get a different sound in both cases.

Anyway, you can take this "partial" profiles and couple them with an already profiled cab (already in stock or from users). Sound will be different (not necessarily worse) from profiling the same amp with the cab you choose tho.

HTH :)

• Compare KPA (your new profile) with Reference Amp. If the two don't sound the same (and mine never have) then hit 'Refine' and play along for a while. Comparison has to be done outside the KPA - can't do it through its headphone output. Need to do it through your monitors or their headphone input.

Sorry, I don't understand this. Why has the comparison to be outside? Can't you just A-B with the soft buttons Kemper Amp and Reference Amp?
    Is this only possible after profiling but not after refining?

• I think you can't hear the reference amp in your KPA cans when you are in Profile mode. Maybe it's possible when you're in refining mode.
    It raises another question. What's the point of selecting an initial KPA profile? Why not just disable stomps, stack, fx (as I think one previous user has suggested) and just set the mic level so that you aren't clipping the return level?

Vintage amp obsessive