Talkbox question

• Hello all, I have the unpowered rack model. I use a Heil Talk Box . . . or I do when I'm using my "real" amp. I'd like to find a solution to use it with the Kemper. I have power amps I can use. The ones I'd prefer to use have 1/4 inputs not XLR. Though if need be, I could use one of our PA amps. Here's what I need the Kemper to do:

• 1/4 out put (the monitor out seems to be the thing to use)
    • to be able to use a foot controller (I have the Kemper foot controller) to activate the monitor out and turn off the main outs
    • at a minimum I need to be able to turn the main out on and off while leaving the monitor out active (I can switch the talkbox on and off but would rather find a one switch operation)

Thoughts?

I've asked this before but didn't get a working option.

Thanks!

• If you don't use an FX Loop in any of your rigs, or the Auxiliary Inputs, I can suggest a one switch operation:

Add an active FX Loop to a Rig or Performance Slot.

Set the FX Loop "Mix: Pre/Post" parameter to Pre, and the Mix to 100%.

When you select the Rig or Performance Slot, the signal will be sent to your Talkbox, through the 1/4" FX Send/Direct Out to the poweramp for your Talkbox. Since nothing is connected to the FX Return, the Kemper will be muted.

To turn off the send to the Talkbox, and hear the Kemper again, Select another Rig or Performance Slot.

• Actually, I'd expect it to sound tighter bypassing the Effects and using the delay/ reverb (if necessary) on the mic at the desk.

Are there any general tips for what type of profile/ pickups translate into a great talk box sound?

• The original Talkboxes (like the Heil) were connected to the output of an amplifier. So, a good starting point for Rigs could be something like a 60s/70s Marshall or Fender, with the Cabinet in the Rig turned off (or a Direct Profile). A fair amount of "classic rock gain" will get you in the range of Joe Walsh/Peter Frampton/Steppenwolf/Aerosmith.

Newer talkboxes like the Rocktron and MXR have built in solid state amps and EQ, are designed to accept the raw guitar signal. I send a direct signal to mine.

• This would work for an unpowered KPA.

But I have a powered rack going to my Kabinet on the back line.
    I use the old style Heil talkbox, so I could just place it between my KPA monitor out and my Kabinet. Just like I’ve done since the 80s.
    But, when I kick in the talkbox, how do I kill the main outs going to FOH?

• This would work for an unpowered KPA.

But I have a powered rack going to my Kabinet on the back line.
    I use the old style Heil talkbox, so I could just place it between my KPA monitor out and my Kabinet. Just like I’ve done since the 80s.
    But, when I kick in the talkbox, how do I kill the main outs going to FOH?

My only suggestion would be a custom switch box, that has the ability to switch the Profiler Output from the Kabinet to the Heil, AND turn off the send to FOH with a single press of the switch.

• Thank you Paults,

I run two XLRs to FOH, and one quarter inch from my powered KPA speaker out that to goes through my Heil and then to my Kabinet. The button on my Heil toggles between pass through mode or sends the signal to my tube.

I can handle stomping on the Heil to make it work but, I don’t know where in this situation your suggestion of a switch box would go.

Question:

Is there a way that I could send a “mute” command to the main volume output (FOH) of the KPA?

Perhaps take an unused button on my KPA Remote and send something like a toggle MIDI command to mute main volume but keep my monitor volume unaltered. Example: stomp once to mute and once again to unmute.