Kemper setup with power amp and 2x12

• Hi

I just bought a Harley Benton GP 400 power amp and vintage 2x12 cabinet for my kemper.

if I want to get the best tone out of the power amp I often read it should be run in mono (bridged)

does that mean I only take one cable from the Kemper to the power amp?

• I checked the manual for you (you should try it :)). Use channel A only in bridged mode.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Thanks, would it actually make sense to run a single 2x12 speaker in stereo? would stereo effects be better seperated on the 2 speakers in a single 2x 12 or not?

I'm using a 2x10 active stereo cabinet from Blueamps and the stereo separation definitely has an effect, although not the same as with separate L/R speakers. At home, practising with the speaker next to me on a shelf (<1m away) , it sounds great with stereo effects. On stage the effect is more about creating a "fuller" sound than a single speaker. The sound gets much "thinner" if I run the KPA's monitor-out in mono into the same cabinet in mono-mode.

• Thanks, would it actually make sense to run a single 2x12 speaker in stereo? would stereo effects be better seperated on the 2 speakers in a single 2x 12 or not?

I used to run a 2x12 in stereo (pre-Kemper days) and it really sounded amazing. Huge difference really.

Not as "distinct" as 2 cabs, but great anyway.

• Ok now i have the 2x12 hooked up in mono (bridged mode)while SPDIF are going to my Studio monitors in Stereo(spdif out sounds awesome). The mono bridged sound is ok BUT all the sounds with delays and reverbs especially dotted eigths do not sound great through the 2x12 in mono. I feel like you are missing all the beauty of the gorgeous kemper delays and reverbs that you get to hear in stereo. It seems like I would have to adjust all my delay and reverb tones for the 2x12. I did change the output to Master Mono on the monitor out and tried single delays instead of dual delays but the huge difference remains. So next thing I will try is main outs L/R into the power amp in stereo..And I still have 2 DXR10s..thanks for all suggestions sofar.

• So next thing I will try is main outs L/R into the power amp in stereo..And I still have 2 DXR10s..thanks for all suggestions sofar.

You may be better off switching to stereo-monitoring and feed monitor-out + direct-out to your monitor-amp. That gives you the option of adjusting monitor-level separate from main/recording output-level.

• My point is just that the Kemper has an option of running monitor-out in stereo by using direct-out as the second monitor-out. When using that you may keep the main-out-level detached from the master-volume and thus be able to adjust your monitor level with the master-knob on the KPA without affecting what goes to FOH or recording. You may do the same with the level on your poweramp. I use an active stereo-cab with controls on the back which makes it a lot more convenient to adjust the volume on the KPA.

• For what it’s worth, my Roland Jazz Chorus is a stereo amp in a 212 cab and it sounds amazing, so from that I would assume that if you can run your Kemper/amp/cab setup in stereo it would be worth it.

WildBillMojo

• trust your ears if it sounds good it's good lol I have a unpowered toaster well which is powdered by the new fryette PS-100 going Into a 1x12 cab with celestion vintage 30 and actually using the kemper speaker imprints sounds unreal dunno if it's the KT88s in the fryette or what, I have a zilla fatboy 2x12 with 2 kemper kones on the way cant wait to hear that will keep ye posted

Ian Flynn

• My very personal view...

Stereo will always sound "bigger" and more expansive and open up delays...but...that is not always advantageous, especially in a live situation.

In a band its important each instrument occupies its own sonic space otherwise sound is lost. I have found that the more effects and wider sound, the more there is that potential ( and it is only a potential).

I remember going to a friends gig and he had a new line 6 stack ( this is over 10 years ago BTW). He let me have a quick play before the band started, it sounded really good on its own...as soon as the band started up, it totally disappeared. It wasn't a volume thing, it was a the sonic space...

I experience the same thing back in the day, running a stereo set up ( ada pre amp, marshall 50/50 power amp, Quadraverb and 2 1x12 speaker cabs). Enormous sound on its own, lost in a band. I changed to a Laney head, mono with NO effects ( no reverb even) and the best sound in a band i've had prior to the KPA. I've therefore held that mantra. In a band I feel that its the tightness that gives the biggest sound, effects can add bleed.

Therefore for live, especially in a 2 guitar band, stereo is a disadvantage.. :)

• My very personal view...

Stereo will always sound "bigger" and more expansive and open up delays...but...that is not always advantageous, especially in a live situation.

In a band its important each instrument occupies its own sonic space otherwise sound is lost.

totally my experience too. I spent 25 years playing in a 10 piece band with keys and horns. My job was always to make my guitar a small as possible so it could poke out in its own space. Lots of like 3 or 4 note chord voicings in the middle of the guitar register with a relatively tight bright sound. Sounded like shit on its own but was totally right in context. In that band anything bigger just got totally lost. On the other hand in a 3 piece with no keys etc a big stereo sound would be much more appropriate.

• On the other hand in a 3 piece with no keys etc a big stereo sound would be much more appropriate.

I'm in such a trio and indeed I use some stereo sounds. But only in quieter moments, cleaner sounds which have enough room and with overall more ambient mood. When it goes back into the rock side of things I narrow it down to mono again in order to keep it tight and pushy. Works well and gives a lot of flexibility and creative space. Nevertheless my setup is definitely stereo to have the option. Percentage-wise I'd say 70-80% of the gig is mono sounds, the rest stereo.

Therefore for live, especially in a 2 guitar band, stereo is a disadvantage..

Totally agree. 2 guitars is stereo on it's own and in best case these guitars complement each other well to make up space or to create pushiness and power by exactly doubling things. Had that for some years as well and it was big fun... 8)

• how do you witch from stereo to mono and back on a live gig?

Not actively. Just changing effects. If there is no stereo effect involved it is not in stereo, even if I have 2 speakers. So my rock tones are free of stereo effects, once I have clean and ambient tones I put a bit of chorus here and there and very often a stereo delay in the effects slots. That does it for me :)