Marshall DSL 20HR w/Silver Jubilee 2536A cab mutiple mics

• Here are a few profiles of my Marshall DSL 20HR with a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2x12 Vertical 2536A cab loaded with Greenbacks.

The different mics used are in the name EX:

D20 JB2GB "421" ……"421" meaning Sennheiser MD421

"57" - Shure SM57

"M81" - Telefunken M81-SH

"7B" - Shure SM7B

"N102" - Neuman TLM 102

"609" - Sennheiser E609

"Rib" - SE Electronics X1R Ribbon

There are a few multi-mics as well done at 50% each mic.

These are all zombiecabs IRs ( https://zombiecabs.com/ ) in the profiles in which I used the original length IRs (about 2 seconds long) so I think they sound about 10-20% better than what is available on the website(125ms). The Kemper seems to be able to respond better with the longer IRs while profiling. This is making me think about offering some special "Kemper IR Packs" that would be much longer that can be used in a DAW for profiling purposes only. Let me know what you guys think?

DSL20HR 2536A mics.zip

• Thanks I'll try um out! :)

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Thanks for sharing! So this is basically one (direct amp) profile with different IR?

They all sound very very bright and harsh to my ears. So I tried some other cabs and IR (from other profiles and Ownhammer, Bogren, ML Soundlab, Celestion, my own cab IR...). They all sound pretty good (or workable at least) and none of them had that "ear piercing" harshness. Maybe it's just me ;)

• Thanks for sharing! So this is basically one (direct amp) profile with different IR?

They all sound very very bright and harsh to my ears. So I tried some other cabs and IR (from other profiles and Ownhammer, Bogren, ML Soundlab, Celestion, my own cab IR...). They all sound pretty good (or workable at least) and none of them had that "ear piercing" harshness. Maybe it's just me ;)

Thanks for informing of that! You are correct. I appear to be having an issue that I am trying to find the problem. I can make a profile using the exact same settings 5 times and I get 5 varying different results. I have ruled out all outboard gear such as amp, cables and load box so, the problem must be in my DAW or the Kemper itself. The definition can vary from 0.2 to 10.0! And sometimes the definition will be very close but still sound very different- like harsh and brittle sounding. Since I've owned the Kemper Stage I haven't yet did any profiling with a real cab and mic. I think I will try that out this weekend to see if it does the same thing. Any of you guys have similar troubles?

• Maybe a gain staging problem? How do you make your (direct amp?) profiles? Using DAW and IR loader / plugins the profiling process is very sensitive to this.

I've been doing it like this:

Speaker out -> Torpedo Captor -> DAW via my Presonus Studio 192 -> Studio One Pro 4->IR loader w/IRs -> back to Kemper

I have also tried using some FX like very mild EQ curves or Console emulators but usually prefer it dry so that down the road I won't be stuck with that sound and add those FX later in a mix.

When I first got the Stage I was all over the place with gain staging ( Captor? preamp gain? DAW CH volumes? DAW Output volume?). I think I've got it narrowed down but maybe this problem I'm having has been there from the start? I have had early profiles that sounded great and others that were just horrible.

I have narrowed down for gain staging to only adjust the output of the Captor and keep everything else the same. At first I was getting lots of To Low or Too High error signals back into the kemper. By keeping everything at around unity gain and only adjusting the output of the Captor seems to work better, I think. I have even tried different latency buffers thinking maybe that could be it but....same story???