Set-up 4 Kones in a 4x12 Marshall 1960AV (Stereo)

• So I'm trying to wire correctly 4 Kones in a Marshall 1960AV with the switch on "Stereo" (8ohm / side).

Goal is to get stereo sound (2 kones on each side).

This is what I've got so far, now trying to figure out the switch thing..

Any help would be appreciated.

• Good job! You have each pair of speakers wired in series.

Now, connect a pair to one side of the jack plate (red from the top speaker, black from the bottom speaker), and the other pair to the other side of the plate.

Here is back view of the plate, with wires connected:

https://www.amplifiedparts.com…c_products/s-h800_0_0.png

• Just thought I would re-post Andy TV's pointers from the other thread (Kone & Kabinet Q&A)

Just having the right and left pairs of speakers in series isn't enough, they must also be in phase. So taking the signal from the positive tag on the first speaker to the negative tag on the 2nd speaker in the series circuit (as per the advice quoted above) is critical if you don't want the speakers to be out of phase. The same pattern of connections must be mirrored on each side so that all four speakers will be in phase.

• Just thought I would re-post Andy TV's pointers from the other thread (Kone & Kabinet Q&A)

Just having the right and left pairs of speakers in series isn't enough, they must also be in phase. So taking the signal from the positive tag on the first speaker to the negative tag on the 2nd speaker in the series circuit (as per the advice quoted above) is critical if you don't want the speakers to be out of phase. The same pattern of connections must be mirrored on each side so that all four speakers will be in phase.

Sure, I've followed his pointers I believe.. See this picture (I've marked the +/- signs). Is it wrong?

So if the switch is on stereo it should be just like that?

Thanks! Just trying to make sure I won't blow up anything (and of course that it will sound the best it can) when the power amp arrives..

• Finally managed to complete it :)

After receiving the power amp I found out that I can't use the wires and close the back of the cab. Some were too short...

So I've ordered the necessary stuff (14AWG wires, isolated spade quick connectors and a crimper tool) and created long enough wires that fits well.

I've connected everything and powered up the power amp and the Kemper.

No smoke, no fire.. Good start :)

Turned up the volume a bit and got sound. Tested the stereo with ping pong delay effect and by turning down the volume every time on a different channel (different side) and it works :D

I'm not much of a DIY guy, so understand that all of this going smooth without any issues is quite a miracle for me :D

I only had an hour to test it and play a bit. Looking forward to play more.

First impression - Very Good!

For me it sounds great in both FRFR mode and the imprints I've tested.

Some profiles I liked with earphones and studio monitors sounded less good here (as is), but I'm sure it's a matter of tweaking the settings (directivity, sweetening). Need time to play with it more.

The stereo is very cool (need to test the new stereo widener).

Switching from stereo to mono in the Kemper's output monitor's setting definitely made a difference with stereo effects.

Maybe it's not like two different cabs apart from each other, but I really liked it over the mono in this 4x12 setup.

Overall, this short "feasibility study" was very successful. I really liked the sounds for both FRFR and Imprints modes.
    Looking forward to play with it more.

Yikes 4 Kones!!! Probably be able to hear you from my house :)

Yep, it's definitely an overkill for me now (in a bedroom), but it should be in a bigger basement within a few months.

What power amp are you using?

Palmer Macht 402