My first tune with Fuzz/Octavio effects - I'm having fun!

• I've never been a fan of fuzz sounds. That is until a few years ago when I realized what wonderful fun you can have with Fuzz and Octavio effects.

So I started finding out more and more about those sounds and have had good help from people here at TGP. I also have had the pleasure of discussing this with Christoph Kemper and getting tips from him how certain pedals work and how to put it together.

So now during the Corona shutdown I have gotten to the point where I'm happy with them and have started using them in my tunes.

Here's the first tune I've written and recorded with Fuzz/Octavio sounds in the KPA.

Guitar is a James Tyler Classic with a maple fretboard.

All the sounds in this track was recorded using a single rig in the KPA.

Hope you'll enjoy it!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Nicely done, and some good tones in this , thanks for sharing , I'm into Hendrix stuff ATM and these tones are not that easy to obtain on the KPA.

Hey Waraba,

Thanks, I've been working some time to get to where I want to regarding these types of sounds. I did a lot of listening to Youtube clips to see what I liked and at one time I was ready to give up and just buy one or two external pedals and use in front of the KPA, but I was to short on funds to do that at the time so I figured I'd take the challenge and really learn how to work these effects. Just like I decided to do with the Green Scream and Mouse so I didn't have to get any external OD pedals. I'm glad I did. Both because I can really get almost any OD/dist/fuzz sound I like and I'm also saving money. Win-win!

Cheers,

Mats N

• Well done! I really like the overall groove of this. Dig that Leslie effect on the intro as well!

Thanks! I was however the Univibe effect I used for the intro. But thanks for mentioning the Leslie, as I needed a reminder to learn that effect more in depth.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Well done Mats! Like this Fuzz/Octavio sound!

Hi Hans,

Just in case you and any other KPA user would be interested in getting into these kinds of sounds, here are my settings and some reasons why I do it this way.

Slot C: Fuzz DS
    Drive: 0.8 (with a max morph value of 7.5)
    Mix: 100%
    Volume: -1.7
    I usually don't feel any need for more Fuzz gain than 0.8 but for the occasion where I want to go a little bit crazy with it, it's good to have the extra gain on tap.

Slot B: Recti Shaper
    Drive: 6.8
    Ducking: 0
    Volume: +2.2
    This is the Octavio component of the rig. If you don't want octave fuzz, don't activate this slot.
    The higher the dirve, the more prominent the effect.
    For me, this works with all pu pusitions on a Strat or Tele. Works fine with P90 and while I seldom use fuzz with HB guitars, it happens and works OK. Don't forget to experiment with the guitar volume controls for many shades of this effect.

Slot A: Pure Boost
    Volume: +2.2
    I use this here for three different purposes.
    1. To goose the clean amp profile for a more dynamic feel
    2. To give the fuzz some extra input gain. I imagine it gives a slightly different sound and feel compared to increasing the drive parameter in the Fuzz DS.
    3. To increase the input into the Recti Shaper for a more pronounced octave fuzz.

Slot D: Analog Octaver
    Voice Balance: -50
    Mix: +3.1
    Low Cut: 1.7
    Ducking: 0
    Volume:0
    This gives a sort of "vintage" octave down effect that I very much enjoy playing with and is used in this tune.
    I set Low Cut differently depending on what guitar I use. It's usually between 0 and 1.7.

This set up works well in front of a very clean amp profile. The settings above is what I use with a D*mbl* SSS-style clean amp profile set very clean giving me a lot of headroom and also makes it a good profile when I want to play clean sounds with the Univibe and Tremolo effects I usually have in slots X and Mod when I want to go old school fuzzy fun. This is also the profile used for this tune.

If I want to use a modified version of above setup with a Marshall style amp to get into Eric Johnson territory I ditch the Analog Octaver and put a Muffin in Slot D for more variety and use a Suhr ML-100 light break up profile or the same amp profiled with a Butler Tube drive in front of it for a slightly creamier tone. Works very well too if your into those kinds of tones, which I also am since lately.

Hope this helps in some way to provide you with some musical fun!

Cheers,
    Mats N

• Hi Mats,

thanks a lot for the settings and explenation!

Cheers

Hans

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112