Kemper Kabinet and V30 imprint. Could it replace a real Mesa 1x12 v30 cab?

• I am watching the Kone Q&A thread, but it brought to my attention some opinions about the V30 imprints.

I’ve watched ToneWars A/B with a Mesa 1x12 cab, and he is happy with the result.

Of course tone is subjective and personal taste matters, but please let me know what do you think about the Kabinet delivering high gain tones through the v30 imprint. Is that closed to the real thing? What was your own experience?

• He used the Kabinet, compared with other cabs. It is not a blind test, though, but a soundwise opinion. Some high gain forum members did not like the v30 imprint compared with what they use regularly.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Different brand v30 speakers sound different?

Different speakers of the same model can sound different - a new speaker will sound different from one that has been used a lot, and the speakers may have been made in different factories. But, the size and type of cabinet makes the most difference. The exact same speaker can sound different, if you put it in a different cabinet. If the Mesa 1x12 cabinet is a different size/shape, and/or has a port, it will sound different than a smaller, non-ported cabinet. So, unless one of us has tried putting a Kone in a Mesa 1x12, we really don't have personal experience with your question.

Here is as close to answering your question as I can get:

I compared Kabinet to my Marshall 2x12 slant V30 cabinet (vintage, well broken in speakers), and the V30 imprint didn't sound the same. I didn't expect it to sound the same - it is a much bigger cabinet, with two speakers, However, to my ears, using the Creamback Imprint in Kabinet made it sound more like my Marshall cabinet. You could also enable the Bass Boost, or adjust the Output EQ to make it sound like a bigger cabinet. And, of course, there are all the other speaker Imprints to choose from, too.

• No. I hated it. It’s not like a real Mesa UK made v30. It’s more like an orange v30. I returned my Kabinet and stuck with a Mesa recto 2x12.

Comparing a Rectifier to a Kabinet is very unfair to the Kone technology. Mesa cabs are the best in the business. I have a Port City 1x12 and the Kone V30 imprint sounds great in it. Very tight, lots of chugga chugga. I have no doubt two Kones in a 2x12 Recto would sound similarly fantastic. But, if you're only going to use the V30 imprint, it's a one trick pony so why bother?

I do not have a Kabinet so I can't compare, but it was a big "hell no" from me when they released the specs of it. Cab construction matters

• Comparing a Rectifier to a Kabinet is very unfair to the Kone technology. Mesa cabs are the best in the business. I have a Port City 1x12 and the Kone V30 imprint sounds great in it. Very tight, lots of chugga chugga. I have no doubt two Kones in a 2x12 Recto would sound similarly fantastic. But, if you're only going to use the V30 imprint, it's a one trick pony so why bother?

I do not have a Kabinet so I can't compare, but it was a big "hell no" from me when they released the specs of it. Cab construction matters

Yeah I'm just telling the OP my experience. Kabinet was no good for me. Putting a Kone in a Mesa cab...no idea, didn't try it and don't think I will. My point was that the default v30 imprint using the Kabinet wasn't good at all and using a real Mesa v30 was far superior sounding. That's what he asked about...

• Yeah I'm just telling the OP my experience. Kabinet was no good for me. Putting a Kone in a Mesa cab...no idea, didn't try it and don't think I will. My point was that the default v30 imprint using the Kabinet wasn't good at all and using a real Mesa v30 was far superior sounding. That's what he asked about...

Yup, we're on the same page. But, there is so much talk about the Kabinet being terrible for high-gain, I'm trying to fight the good fight and say it's because of the Kab, not the Kone. I sold off all my Mesa cabs for Port City so I can't do it, but I really hope we'll get a Kone demo in a Mesa cab soon. And, hopefully, we'll eventually get multiple variations of the V30 imprints available (Mesa, England, China, Orange, etc)

• Yup, we're on the same page. But, there is so much talk about the Kabinet being terrible for high-gain, I'm trying to fight the good fight and say it's because of the Kab, not the Kone. I sold off all my Mesa cabs for Port City so I can't do it, but I really hope we'll get a Kone demo in a Mesa cab soon. And, hopefully, we'll eventually get multiple variations of the V30 imprints available (Mesa, England, China, Orange, etc)

I'd be happy to test it for all of us is Mr. Kemper wants to send 2 Kones to me and I'll throw them in my Mesa 2x12.

• no idea about the V30 but the EVM12L in the Kabinet sounds fantastic. It doesn’t sound the same as my two Mesa EVM12L Thiele cabinets but the speaker sound is clearly similar. I’m sure if I could be bothered putting the Kone in one of my Mesa cabs it would sound close enough to leave the big heavy beasts at home. As PaulTS pointed out the cabinet itself is at least half the sound so comparing the imprint to a “real Mesa V30” is a pointless exercise unless you put them both in the same cabinet.