Reverb/Room for recording

• Ok, I know that we should always record dry, and add any kind of reverb later in the mix.

But with the Kemper, even the great profiles can't have that subtle sense of room compared to a recording where close+room mics are used.

So, what can be used to add that feel while recording? Maybe a little of Space parameter, or some sort of specific reverb?

Thanks

• Don't forget, what you send to be recorded doesn't have to be what you listen to whilst recording. Depending on how you monitor the KPA, you can send a DI track to the recorder, or an amped sound but without the the reverbs, delays or modulation but still hear the whole lot whilst you record.

• I totally disagree with the idea the we “should always record dry” and add FX in the mix.

Of course this gives almost unlimited options later but there have been plenty of great recordings made over the years where reverb and delay were printed to tape on the original 4 track before being bounced to a single track and freeing up 3 more for overdubs (the Beatles didn’t do to badly). The classic Motown records were all done with reverb on the original recording too. There are a number of highly regarded engineers who advocate the idea of making decisions early on and sticking too them rather than being left with option anxiety at the mix stage. I am by no means a recording expert but my advice would be do what works for you rather than what someone else says is “right”

• Sorry for the confusion, but I can't seem to find any presets in my Kemper.

I have updated the firmware in early 2020 but I only have the algorithms, not the presets.

I don't use Rig Manager, is there a way to download them and import via USB stick?

• Sorry for the confusion, but I can't seem to find any presets in my Kemper.

I have updated the firmware in early 2020 but I only have the algorithms, not the presets.

I don't use Rig Manager, is there a way to download them and import via USB stick?

Use the “Type” knob on the left side, not the “Browse” knob.

The Browse side will only have saved presets, sometimes from vendor Rigs

You can download or use the Rig Manager to try some Kemper presets .

There is a Rig pack you can download on the Kemper site that had effect examples, you can use a USB stick

Edited once, last by drog ().

• I totally disagree with the idea the we “should always record dry” and add FX in the mix.

Of course this gives almost unlimited options later but there have been plenty of great recordings made over the years where reverb and delay were printed to tape on the original 4 track before being bounced to a single track and freeing up 3 more for overdubs (the Beatles didn’t do to badly). The classic Motown records were all done with reverb on the original recording too. There are a number of highly regarded engineers who advocate the idea of making decisions early on and sticking too them rather than being left with option anxiety at the mix stage. I am by no means a recording expert but my advice would be do what works for you rather than what someone else says is “right”

I hear what you're saying and used to approach it from that angle too but I find that nowadays, the workflow seems to be happening in stages, whereas in the Beatles era, their songs were probably in final form already at the time of recording. If there's a producer involved, the arrangement may very well change and I found out a couple of albums later that providing the dry could have saved trouble. For example, you might think your chorus/reverb combination sounds perfect for the song now but then you find out that all of a sudden the keyboardist now has a swirly thing on his Rhodes and it becomes part of the song, then you wish you didn't have effect anymore because it's a mess. Often, once you submit tracks for artists, you have no idea where they go or what will happen to them so now I give both a dry version and a wet with effects baked in (mostly as an example) - and Kemper is awesome for this - and I see the engineers going for one or the other, but usually the most experienced ones seem to use the dry track often because they are used to think of the whole more than I do (or possibly because of my questionable choices!) However when it's a very straightforward task (demo, etc) just for myself or needs to get it done fast, I do record wet directly.

• Use the “Type” knob on the left side, not the “Browse” knob.

The Browse side will only have saved presets, sometimes from vendor Rigs

You can download or use the Rig Manager to try some Kemper presets .

There is a Rig pack you can download on the Kemper site that had effect examples, you can use a USB stick

Thanks but using the "Type" knob seems to go through the various effect types, it doesn't seem to find any presets. Will try again tonight.

BTW, under Rig Packs downloads on the Kemper site I was not able to find those presets.