Y- cables for expression/volume pedals

• Hi guys,

I'm completely baffled with this....

I have several pedals I can use connected to the remote. An Ernie Ball Volume and a Visual Volume.

The problem is that the pedal will work or not, depending on the cable.

I have several Y cables ( 1x TRS - 2x TS ) But not all of them work....

A George L seems to work best, but 2 others do not. Also tried with a TRS-TRS and a couple of female TRS to 2 x TS. One works the other does not.

What am I missing?

Thanks

• Maybe they are "insert cables" ? Why do you use Y-cables ? :/

Cheers !

Edit : Sorry, it´s me who is confused .... Of course you have to use

Y-cables ( insert cables ) I was thinking of other equipment :wacko:

I need to sleep more and stop playing guitar all night long :P

Cheers x 2 !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

Edited 2 times, last by Hoki Toki ().

• Mmmm.... I was under the impression thats how its supposed to work. Maybe Im confused.

The Mission allows the use of a TRS-TRS but these other pedals have ins and outs. Thats how Ive done it in the past.

The Nova System used this method. Even got a "special cable" that worked great with it, but doesnt work with the remote.

I tried all sorts of combinations and nothing.

The attached pic shows what is working.

• first, you should use an expression pedal, not a volume pedal. how to connect it is explained in the manual p.128

Expression Pedal Recommendation

An expression pedal works just like any analog wah or volume pedal but is made for digital devices. It only needs one cable with a stereo jack (TRS jack).

• I think it does have something to do with this.

Apparently Y cables and insert cables are different.

The Visual Volume states it needs a Y cable and apparently thats what the George L cable is. Both mono cables carry the same signal,

The others I have, must be insert cables ( the usual "stereo to left and right")

The Ernie Ball works (badly) with the insert cable as not designed for expression purposes.

At least this is the only way I can explain it. :)

Thanks

• although a volume pedal will work with a Y cable it isn’t a great solution because Volume pedals have an audio (logarithmic) taper pot but the the expression input is expecting to see a linesr taper so the sweep is usually very compressed with very little effect for most of the travel then a huge effect in a very short portion of the sweep.

rather than mess around with trying to find the correct Y cables you might be better just buying a cheap expression pedal. It doesn’t need to be anything expensive like the Mission or Dunlop pedals. i bought a used Zoom pedal for £11 and it works just fine - much better than using a Y cable with my volume pedals.

• although a volume pedal will work with a Y cable it isn’t a great solution because Volume pedals have an audio (logarithmic) taper pot but the the expression input is expecting to see a linesr taper so the sweep is usually very compressed with very little effect for most of the travel then a huge effect in a very short portion of the sweep.

rather than mess around with trying to find the correct Y cables you might be better just buying a cheap expression pedal. It doesn’t need to be anything expensive like the Mission or Dunlop pedals. i bought a used Zoom pedal for £11 and it works just fine - much better than using a Y cable with my volume pedals.

Y cable or insert cable? ^^

I might as well keep the Mission, although Im not that impressed with it. Works well but doesnt feel that great.

Thanks guys.

• The VV pedal instructions are erroneous to indicate that an Insert Cable and a Y-Cable are the same thing.

A "Y cable" is a passive signal splitter - one TS to two TS. The Kemper expects a TRS expression pedal connection, so, this type of cable cannot be used.

An "Insert cable" is one TRS to two TS. This the type of cable that can be used with a mono volume pedal to create a non-linear response expression pedal. If one of these cables doesn't work, try exchanging the the two TS connections, to see if that makes the cable work.

TRS to TRS cables will not work with a conventional volume pedal. If you add a female TRS to two TS adapter, you have the equivalent of an Insert cable. If it doesn't work, try exchanging the the two TS connections. Also, verify the female TRS is not a female TS.

The good news is, for the price of a couple of new insert cables, you could get an inexpensive expression pedal, instead :)

• I'm not a fan of the Mission either for anything other than Wah. It is the best wah controller out their for feel because it literally is a Dunlop Wah Pedal with a different badge on it. However, for volume, morph etc any standard expression pedal is much better than either the Mission or a Volume pedal with a split cable.

That makes sense. I didnt like the feel of the Crybaby either. I destroyed it taking out/cutting off rubber thingies, adding foam etc to change the range and resistance. :)

Not sure what I was used to at the time....

• You're right. I hadnt noticed the use of both terms on the VV :thumbup:

So, would you agree that the VV should work with ANY "Stereo-2 mono " cables?

• I just looked at the brochure for the VV pedal. It has active electronics in it (a Buffer, and a Gain Mode).

I wouldn't connect it to the Kemper or Remote Pedal Input, because they are designed for passive pedals.

I think it has both. Its in passive mode right now.

Should I be worried? =O