A slow funk with lots of guitar

• Hi,

I just got the Atomic Amps Bass Box and I wanted to lay down some slow funk where I could practice NOT rushing my playing which I always seem to do. So I wrote this tune.

This was a lot of fun and I hope you enjoy it.

Guitar: Ruokangas Mojo King into Kemper for all non percussive sounds

Bass: Sire V7 into Atomic Amps Bass Box

Drums: Superior Drummer 3 and Spectrasonics Stylus RMX

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Nice one Mats, thanks for sharing. I love the backing track you created. That slow funk is very nice and reminds me actually a bit of the stuff on Miles Davis' Tutu album - one of my alltime favorites.

That lead guitar has a nice sound. Personally I would like it to be a bit more reduced... just less notes played. You achieved the "not rushing" for sure but the constant flow of notes is too much for me....

• That slow funk is very nice and reminds me actually a bit of the stuff on Miles Davis' Tutu album

Yup. I'll bet you were thinking of the tracks Tomaas and Full Nelson, Michael.

... one of my alltime favorites.

Indeed; it's brilliant. :love:

Had some of my fave musicians on it too - fave percussionist, Paulinho da Costa and fave keyboardist, George Duke. Marcus produced and played bass and a bunch of other stuff, so that goes without saying. 8)

• Good on yer, Mats! Timing is everything, and being humble and honest enough to see and admit one’s shortcomings are the key to improvement. Well done on both accounts, as this grooves nicely!

• Personally I would like it to be a bit more reduced... just less notes played. You achieved the "not rushing" for sure but the constant flow of notes is too much for me....

That's another area I know I need to improve. May I ask if you felt this way in the melody parts or the solo parts or both?

Cheers,

Mats N

• Sounds great.

Thank you!

Nice one Mats, great tones and the middle bridge is welcome. playing slow and expressive is a challenge in itself :)

Thanks! I really enjoy trying to come up with those bridges that puts a bit of contrast in my tunes. Sometimes it works better than others.

Excellent tones all around. This is one of those groove songs that I find myself getting so much into the killer bass and drum groove that I don't pay as much attention to what is going on with some of the guitars. Very cool!

Thanks! I must admit this tune was written mainly for the groove thing.

Good on yer, Mats! Timing is everything, and being humble and honest enough to see and admit one’s shortcomings are the key to improvement. Well done on both accounts, as this grooves nicely!

Thanks Sam! I would like to think I'm old and mature enough not to waste my time with self delusion. :D

Cheers to all and please stay safe!

Mats N

• Nice one Mats, thanks for sharing. I love the backing track you created. That slow funk is very nice and reminds me actually a bit of the stuff on Miles Davis' Tutu album - one of my alltime favorites.

Thank you for these very kind words. To be compared to a Miles Davis/Marcus Miller tune/production is really a compliment I cherish.

Cheers,

Mats N

• That's another area I know I need to improve. May I ask if you felt this way in the melody parts or the solo parts or both?

In the beginning it is pretty articulate and spot on. After hearing it again (and again) I'm getting this impression probably by the length of the tune and the slightly increased amount of phrases in the second half of the tune. Another longer break or another part would help to break this up a bit. But certainly that's discussion on a high level. In general I like patient musicians and tunes which take some time :)

Thank you for these very kind words. To be compared to a Miles Davis/Marcus Miller tune/production is really a compliment I cherish.

Indeed; it's brilliant. :love:

Had some of my fave musicians on it too - fave percussionist, Paulinho da Costa and fave keyboardist, George Duke. Marcus produced and played bass and a bunch of other stuff, so that goes without saying.

Indeed. What an incluence, and we hear it here Mats. Very inspiring things for me :thumbup:8)

• In the beginning it is pretty articulate and spot on. After hearing it again (and again) I'm getting this impression probably by the length of the tune and the slightly increased amount of phrases in the second half of the tune. Another longer break or another part would help to break this up a bit. But certainly that's discussion on a high level. In general I like patient musicians and tunes which take some time :)

Hi Deadman,

Thanks for taking the time to write this. Every little bit of understanding helps.

Cheers,

Mats N