'Split' Expression Pedal Question

• You cannot set a single pedal into one pedal input to volume AND morph. This makes sense because volume *is* a morph. One pedal can't distinguish which parameter (volume or morph) you want to control. So, you can't do it unless you have two separate pedals. But what about this.....

Using one expression pedal, take the TRS out from the pedal into a TRS A/B/Y box, then from the A/B/Y box to two pedal inputs on the Remote. One input would be assigned to Volume, then the other to Morph. You would then use the A/B/Y box to discreetly switch between the two functions. When set for volume, only the pedal input assigned to volume sees activity and vice versa.

Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Or.....I suppose you could set the single pedal to morph and not volume. On a per-rig basis you would then assign the appropriate morph per rig.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• It seems to me that using an A/B switch in that fashion would essentially be the same thing as having two cables connected to the Remote, and unplugging the pedal from one cable, and plugging it into another. Depending on how the A/B switch is wired, introducing infinite resistance (or zero resistance) at those Remote Inputs, and changing it from from cable to cable, might produce some unexpected results.

It might be an interesting experiment, if you can try it without spending money on gear that may not work.

FWIW, I have my expression pedal set up Morph/Wah/Pitch, and program one of those functions in a rig. If I need a volume pedal in a Rig, I use Morph to vary the volume.

• I'm afraid, this might be a trap.

Let's assume, your expression pedal currently controls volume. You leave it at maximum and switch over to Morphing. This might immediately be interpreted as Morph Sound position. Not only, that you hear the parameters in their Morph position, in case any are set up for Morphing already. Even if there are no morphed parameters yet, all changes of continuous parameters are now related to the Morph Sound instead of the Base Sound and stored that way, when you press STORE.

There is a reason why we don't offer to share one expression pedal for both: Volume Pedal and Morph Pedal. Volume Pedal in toe position is very common, Morphing Pedal in toe enables Morph Sound entry. This creates logical conflicts.

• I'm afraid, this might be a trap.

Let's assume, your expression pedal currently controls volume. You leave it at maximum and switch over to Morphing. This might immediately be interpreted as Morph Sound position. Not only, that you hear the parameters in their Morph position, in case any are set up for Morphing already. Even if there are no morphed parameters yet, all changes of continuous parameters are now related to the Morph Sound instead of the Base Sound and stored that way, when you press STORE.

There is a reason why we don't offer to share one expression pedal for both: Volume Pedal and Morph Pedal. Volume Pedal in toe position is very common, Morphing Pedal in toe enables Morph Sound entry. This creates logical conflicts.

I knew there had to be more to it than I was thinking. Better to run two pedals OR set the one pedal to morph and adjust function per rig.

Thanks Burkhard

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I use my Morph Pedal for going from a full distortion sound to a clean sound, so I ended up reverse wiring my expression pedal so that Toe Down is the base sound (distortion) and as I morph it by going Heel down, it goes clean.

Which brings me to another request... can you allow us to do that as an option without having to reverse wire it?

I’m probably missing something really obvious so forgive me in advance but why wouldn’t it work just using a normally wired pedal with toe down reducing gain. In this situation the Base sound would be full gain. As you move the pedal forward towards the toe position gain is set to reduce rather than increase. The base sound would always be the full gain rather than cleaned up sound though. I am sure you must have tried this and there is something really stupidly obvious that I’m missing but it’s getting late and I can’t think what it is.

• OK. So I wasn’t being a muppet then. There’s a first time for everything ?

I understand the logic of the toe down = more gain concept. Its amazing how quickly our brains adapt to a different scenario so that it becomes normal but I get your workaround too. Glad you managed to find a way of getting the result that works best for your personal needs.