dB measurement

• hey,

i know that the soundmen like to get signal between -12db to -18 db in digital mixers and signal about 0db in analog mixers.

How can I know how much db my kemper send out to the mixer? maybe too loud or too low?

How can I measure it?

thank you

Edited once, last by ofir123 ().

• I can't tell you how to measure it, but I only use 2 different options for the main outs. In both I have the Master output at full, but if the desk needs less I use the -12 db setting in the Output menu.

This seems to work for me and it's repeatable.

• to measure how many db your Kemper send out, You should have to plug it into a daw and check with a db meter plugin,but to get it very short:

- 1st check the led above the output soft button: when you play, it shoud always have to light green, almost never orange, never Red.

- 2nd check the gain You're giving to the mixer channel where you connect your Kemper.

for sure there's a clip led associated to that input: it never have to go red.

• to measure how many db your Kemper send out, You should have to plug it into a daw and check with a db meter plugin,but to get it very short:

- 1st check the led above the output soft button: when you play, it shoud always have to light green, almost never orange, never Red.

- 2nd check the gain You're giving to the mixer channel where you connect your Kemper.

for sure there's a clip led associated to that input: it never have to go red.

i can plug it into a daw, but the signal goes through audio interface and his pre amp

• hum.. Honestly I don't Know, You should have to try a bit to dial with it and check by Yourself,

.. anyway consider that you can get as 'Loudness reference' the Crunck Rig You can find in any 1st slot of any empty Performance.

Times ago I've used it to compare My others rigs' Volume.. I've measured that it's around -15 db.

So.. anyhow You measure the output with Your soundcard/daw ..cosider that Rig as Reference.

• hum.. Honestly I don't Know, You should have to try a bit to dial with it and check by Yourself,

.. anyway consider that you can get as 'Loudness reference' the Crunck Rig You can find in any 1st slot of any empty Performance.

Times ago I've used it to compare My others rigs' Volume.. I've measured that it's around -15 db.

So.. anyhow You measure the output with Your soundcard/daw ..cosider that Rig as Reference.

thank you

we talking about RMS measure, right?

• What do you think if i lower the gain of the audio interface to zero, That means he won't increase the signal at all?

Although unity gain on an analogue input doesn’t change the level through the preamp circuit, the operating level of the interface will become a factor when translating to dBFS after the ADC stage. The UK standard operating level is 0dBu = -18dBFS. The US standard equates to 0dBU = -24 dBFS (usually written as -20dBFS = +4dBu), and there are other standards in between. Most audio interface manufacturers plump for something in the middle to try and integrate with as much gear as possible without multiple versions being required, so without looking at the specs, you can’t know how much to offset your measurements by. This also applies to the analogue inputs on professional mixing consoles, analogue and digital, where operating level is either fixed or selectable.
    If you go via S/PDIF, you circumnavigate all of the analogue stage operating level variables.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• i know that the soundmen like to get signal between -12db to -18 db in digital mixers and signal about 0db in analog mixers.

How can I know how much db my kemper send out to the mixer? maybe too loud or too low?

How can I measure it?

thank you

Yep, peaking around -12 dBFS and averaging or -20 dBFS is a good starting point when mixing. It’s laudable you try and get things to a sensible output level prior to arriving at a gig. There are many variables though between live sound rigs that will mean you’ll always have to talk to the engineer and they will want to set levels based on real signal. For example, the analogue operating level of different desks can vary by a significant amount. Also, you’ll have almost exclusively mic inputs on-stage, meaning the engineer will PAD down those that you feed with your Kemper, which outputs line level. PAD functions on different desks and their associated stageboxes vary. Many are -20dB but you’ll find -15dB and -30dB. This means the mix engineer’s workflow will be to pad, then increase input gain until they meter where they want them to. I think the most important thing to tell your mix engineer is that you are outputting line level, not mic level, so that they can be prepared.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• Yep, peaking around -12 dBFS and averaging or -20 dBFS is a good starting point when mixing. It’s laudable you try and get things to a sensible output level prior to arriving at a gig. There are many variables though between live sound rigs that will mean you’ll always have to talk to the engineer and they will want to set levels based on real signal. For example, the analogue operating level of different desks can vary by a significant amount. Also, you’ll have almost exclusively mic inputs on-stage, meaning the engineer will PAD down those that you feed with your Kemper, which outputs line level. PAD functions on different desks and their associated stageboxes vary. Many are -20dB but you’ll find -15dB and -30dB. This means the mix engineer’s workflow will be to pad, then increase input gain until they meter where they want them to. I think the most important thing to tell your mix engineer is that you are outputting line level, not mic level, so that they can be prepared.

thank you