The Acoustic Simulator

• My PRS does not have this push/pull Pot you speak of. Sounds useful though.

it seems that, as is so often the case, the main issue lies at the signal's source.

In the interest of keeping the information in this thread concise and helpful, would it be possible for you ( prsgary ) to try the Acoustic Simulator with a guitar that has a single coil in the neck position?

EQing a humbucker to sound like a single coil won't work IME, the high end is gone (due to phase cancellation IIRC) and there is nothing one can do about it.

• Since I read about how many guys here have "best results" with their Tele/neck SC..same here..

Seems like the hardtail has some positive effects on the end result.Just saying..:)

• are there factory preset for the acoustic sim? Or will there be?

No, and it is not planned so far.

Settings are individual, as you see, and Presets would suggest that there is general setting that work.

It‘s four parameters only, and every parameter has a clear and comprehensive dedication IMHO.

Presets would only make sense if they were made for specific guitars and pickup choice.

We don‘t have all guitars of the world in our office to make that happen.

But that reminds me: You users as a group have all the guitars in the world.

It would be very valuable if you would post some settings that work great for specific guitars.

So far we read more advices of profiles that should be used in combination with the AC, rather than AC settings that meet the target. We don‘t recommend to use profiles in addition, because you easily stack up sound aspects with the same purpose. It‘s like amplifying a tube power amp simulation through a tube power amp.

Post settings!

CK

• would it be possible for you ( prsgary ) to try the Acoustic Simulator with a guitar that has a single coil in the neck position?

I would Don, really I would, but I don't even own a single single coil guitar, only humbuckers. So I guess I'm just out of luck in this regard. I could always borrow or purchase one, but that would totally defeat my purpose here - which is to play my PRS for everything. Not that there's any gigging going on at the moment over here, but I guess that means I'll still bring my PRS and Taylor to gigs and A/B them with there own profiles.

Gary ô¿ô

• Post settings!

CK

I did on rig ex :) a strat SC and a P90 one , but I used the morgan and it's own EQ stomp setting , AMP & CAB disabled of course , sounds great for strumming.

but I don't even own a single single coil guitar, only humbuckers

How sad :( you're missing a lot , SC & P90 are my favorite pickups by far , especially for rhythm , and these are easier to mix.

why don't you use coil tapping on one of your guitar ( plus a push / push tone pot for instance, no drilling involved ) ? you'll be surprised with the tone possibilities.

• How sad :( you're missing a lot , SC & P90 are my favorite pickups by far , especially for rhythm , and these are easier to mix.

Agreed on SC. I've switched to a Nash tele with Lollar pups and seldom pick up my PRS with Duncan Antiquities anymore.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• There are 2 basic approaches people seem to be taking:

1) Parallel path mixing with an amp

2) As designed with stack off

From my perspective I am only focused on point 2. I have struggled due to hiss which has been more sensitive to settings outside the SIM. for me its been easier to try different rigs even with stack off to get the base sound. This is more because I don;t really understand the full end to end chain well enough.

In other words, I see the AC sim settings as "tweaking" and I'm still just at stage 1 to nail the basic sound (although I think I've cracked it now).

Hence I have still been interested in people posting rigs - probably incorrectly :)

• How sad :( you're missing a lot , SC & P90 are my favorite pickups by far , especially for rhythm , and these are easier to mix.

No question they sound great, I just am not a fan of the necks widths or profiles and haven't found one I'm comfortable playing, certainly not Teles or Strats. My fingers may just be shorter than most.

Gary ô¿ô

• I’m currently thinking that live use is going to need a dual mono workflow, with electric panned hard left, acoustic hard right, or vice verse. If you go to a live engineer and say, “You’re going to get both acoustic and electric on the same channels...” they’re going to be limited in what they can do for you processing-wise unless it is all rehearsed and desk snapshots can be recalled. If you’re morphing between sounds then that’s particularly tricky.
    Might be overthinking it, and sound checks will naturally just become, “Okay, give me your clean sound... now your lead sound with everything in... ok and now with that extra boost you think I don’t know about... and now your acoustic profile...”

Also makes me wonder what the feedback sensitivity will be like compared to an acoustic with stage monitors. I’ll go away and do some experiments, with earplugs.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• ok and now with that extra boost you think I don’t know about.

:D:D:D:D

It's well seen you've worked live sound !

Also makes me wonder what the feedback sensitivity will be like compared to an acoustic with stage monitors.

I would put money on it that the feedback sensitivity will be like an electric guitar. The AS doesn't add anything that would physically resonate the way an acoustic instrument does.

No question they sound great, I just am not a fan of the necks widths or profiles and haven't found one I'm comfortable playing, certainly not Teles or Strats. My fingers may just be shorter than most.

PRS Necks are my natural home base too. I don't have big hands but PRS Wide Fat if perfect for me. I've always had a crush on a McSoapie :love::love:

• Quote from EdwardArnold ok and now with that extra boost you think I don’t know about.

:D:D:D:D - Very funny Alan!

I don't know why feedback should be any issues, agree with you there. I also had zero hum or hiss, so not sure where people are getting that, unless it's a single coil issue.

Gary ô¿ô

• it seems that, as is so often the case, the main issue lies at the signal's source.

In the interest of keeping the information in this thread concise and helpful, would it be possible for you ( prsgary ) to try the Acoustic Simulator with a guitar that has a single coil in the neck position?

EQing a humbucker to sound like a single coil won't work IME, the high end is gone (due to phase cancellation IIRC) and there is nothing one can do about it.

Hi, I agree humbuckers are not optimal with Sim AC in general. Do you know how a tool like Sim One XT-1 seem to manage to get good acoustic guitar results even with humbuckers ? I know there is a kind of pre-calibration adjusted to the guitar.

• Quote from EdwardArnold ok and now with that extra boost you think I don’t know about.

:D:D:D:D - Very funny Alan!

I don't know why feedback should be any issues, agree with you there. I also had zero hum or hiss, so not sure where people are getting that, unless it's a single coil issue.

The hiss happens when you engage the Stack. I initially tried it with a Bert Meulendijk acoustic preamp profile and th hiss was terrible. CK confirmed this would be normal and that the AS was not designed to be used in this way.

• For the record, my PRS has 5 blade switch very common in the Classic 24 model. It gives me;

1) Neck HB

2) Neck HB w/ neck single coil in parallel

3) Bridge & Neck HBs

4) Bridge HB w/ bridge single coil in parallel

5) Bridge HB

No dedicated single coil option.

Gary ô¿ô