The Acoustic Simulator

• I've been casually playing around with the new AS, long way to go, but my issue is the volume is VERY VERY low. Maxing out both rig volume and master volume sorta work - and adding a couple pure boosters - but switching to this profile mid-song is problematic. Anyone found a solution?

• DonPetersen Match EQ is what I'm playing with right now in Logic. It is giving surprisingly good results. Just need to work back the other way and get the same out of the Kemper Studio EQ etc. I guess a lot of what the Profiler does when it profiles is based around match EQ algorithms. Perhaps profiler version 2.0 will let you load a WAV into it and press the 'sound like this' button..!

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• I've been casually playing around with the new AS, long way to go, but my issue is the volume is VERY VERY low. Maxing out both rig volume and master volume sorta work - and adding a couple pure boosters - but switching to this profile mid-song is problematic. Anyone found a solution?

I haven't found it particularly quiet in relation to my other rigs. Do you run all your other rigs particularly loud? If so, I would try lowering everything else rather than looking to boost the AS.

• FreeBlues have you exhausted your Clean Sense options? There is a limit to how much gain the Kemper will add with various volume controls based on Rig Level, from what I can perceive (I should measure it). For example, the Pure Boost and EQ Volume seem to have no effect above 0.0dB if Rig Volume is already maxed at +12dB. Clean Sense is the most effective place I've found usable level increase in my case. I've kept the rig volume at +8.0dB so that I can still use a Pure Boost for an actual solo boost, albeit without the full 5dB increase, which is fine in this context.

Beyond this, compression would be another option, but I'm not a massive fan of this idea.

• FreeBlues have you exhausted your Clean Sense options? There is a limit to how much gain the Kemper will add with various volume controls based on Rig Level, from what I can perceive (I should measure it). For example, the Pure Boost and EQ Volume seem to have no effect above 0.0dB if Rig Volume is already maxed at +12dB. Clean Sense is the most effective place I've found usable level increase in my case. I've kept the rig volume at +8.0dB so that I can still use a Pure Boost for an actual solo boost, albeit without the full 5dB increase, which is fine in this context.

Beyond this, compression would be another option, but I'm not a massive fan of this idea.

Well done Ed, it sounds like you are on top of it! Any chance you could release a profile if you get the Kemper Studio EQ functioning, so that the less technically gifted among us could run through it, and see what you are actually doing? :)

• Serendipity I seem to have made it my mission to try and nail this thing ^^ I've been working on a profile for much of today that will hopefully be a good start-point for Teles and Strats at least, with the most important bits of the Studio EQ dialled in. It's certainly further along sound-wise than I was in the video and now entirely in the Kemper. I'll post a clip soon to see if others agree it's going in the right direction, then sell the profile to make a fortune share the profile on RE.

• Here is my second video. This time I compare it to an actual mic’ed acoustic. It gets real close. I wonder if Chris has plans to add an IR in the future to get it even closer? I tried one that worked pretty well but maybe a custom IR for the simulator could really nail it. Acoustic Simulator 2nd Test

Sounds really good. The only thing I noticed is that the real acoustic has a bit more somewhere in the upper mids (surprisingly) and a bit less sparkle.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• AeroUSA sounds great!

Did you spend most of the time getting it right for strumming/picking/both out of interest? I’m getting quite varied results depending on playing style.

I did focus on strumming but then again on my stage acoustic I change EQ depending on style also so maybe it’s good to make a couple of different patches for the Acoustic simulator (or at least have an EQ on a footswitch).

• I have struggled with that and I think, as mentioned, its as much at source and settings outside the stack. Humbuckers have a higher output and I think its signal to noise ratio thing... I also had my profile volumes quite high so I've reduced mine etc..