The Acoustic Simulator

• Thanks for your rigs.

I tried the Single Coil one, but have the problem that the rig is extrem quiet/silent. I tried

some Equalizer to increase the volume but comparing it with all my other rigs, it‘s not usable.

Do you have any ideas?

Set your Clean Sense (mine is +10dB) and Rig Volume (mine is +8dB). I've unlocked my INPUT section so that clean sense can be different between rigs. This balances it out perfectly in my case, so I'm sure it will work for you also. You could do to +12dB on the rig volume, but that doesn't leave any digital trim (gain) for the pure boost or EQ volume, and increasing those will have no further effect. I left Rig Volume at +8dB to permit a few dB of boost for solos or chorus sections.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• Do you think EQ matching well mic'd Gibson and Martin acoustic audio samples would be worth exploring?

I think I've had my turn, so it's over to someone else to have a go... ^^

I ran some commercial acoustic recordings through match EQ in Logic to get an idea of where the main differences were to what I had. I used the more significant bits of the match EQ curve to inform my Studio EQ settings on the Kemper, but largely ended up tuning by ear. There aren't so many parametric EQ bands in Studio EQ, understandably, and I didn't want to daisy chain more than one. Many commercial acoustic sounds can also be more narrow-band than expected to make them sit in the mix so it was a bit hit-and-miss for me, so yeah you'd need some good raw recordings to use instead. I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

If the end goal is to port it all back into a Kemper rig to use live, then I say yes, it's worth exploring. If the end goal is to get the best acoustic sound for studio use in conjunction with post processing, it makes less sense to me.

• Set your Clean Sense (mine is +10dB) and Rig Volume (mine is +8dB). I've unlocked my INPUT section so that clean sense can be different between rigs. This balances it out perfectly in my case, so I'm sure it will work for you also. You could do to +12dB on the rig volume, but that doesn't leave any digital trim (gain) for the pure boost or EQ volume, and increasing those will have no further effect. I left Rig Volume at +8dB to permit a few dB of boost for solos or chorus sections.

Thanks for your answer. Will try different Clean sense settings.

• Set your Clean Sense (mine is +10dB) and Rig Volume (mine is +8dB). I've unlocked my INPUT section so that clean sense can be different between rigs. This balances it out perfectly in my case, so I'm sure it will work for you also. You could do to +12dB on the rig volume, but that doesn't leave any digital trim (gain) for the pure boost or EQ volume, and increasing those will have no further effect. I left Rig Volume at +8dB to permit a few dB of boost for solos or chorus sections.

Wow, it seems amazing that you need to run the Clean Sens and/or Rig Volume so high to get it to a usable volume. That looks like something that might need improved in the actual AS effect itself.

• Wow, it seems amazing that you need to run the Clean Sens and/or Rig Volume so high to get it to a usable volume. That looks like something that might need improved in the actual AS effect itself.

I usually have the Clean sense at about -4.

Not sure if the new setting is the way it‘s supposed to.

• I’m fairly convinced there is one digital trim element before the stack that is shared/affected by rig volume, pure boost, EQ volume etc. Once you drive to +12dB subsequent increases have no effect. Is this what others have found/is this already common knowledge? The amp, if you dare switch it in, has its own gain, and also input gain becomes active, so perhaps the AcSim needs to move to the amp block in future to make use of another gain stage? If the existing one was retained in its present state as an EQ only version as well, people could still combine with preamp profiles if they want.

• I had a rehearsal on Sunday and used the AS. I Used Ed's profile and one I tweaked myself that both sound great on their own. The results are hopeful but need improvement. Not too much time to tweak there. We are all IEM's so I had some issues with the high end clipping with the profiles(at all volume levels) which is something I don't have a problem with through my studio monitors, speaker cab or if I test with the same IEM's at home so I'll have to do some eq deep diving on our system That is disappointing because I have a great sounding full band stereo mix. Also the sound just doesn't cut through like a real acoustic. It lacks that high mid power that cuts through. Still having problems with hiss/buzz while playing the quiet single note stuff. (While playing, NOT while muted , it's totally quiet when I'm not playing) It's not the pickups, and not an electrical problem, If you're strumming away that's fine you don't notice.

• Just tried the new AS version today. Nice work! I think it has become more usable for sure.

Volume is up higher, and overall sound is improved!

I updagraded but couldn't hear the volume difference. Did you hear that with a current profile or did you have to create a new one??

• I updagraded but couldn't hear the volume difference. Did you hear that with a current profile or did you have to create a new one??

I made a new one just... because.

I had the rig volume way up on the old one and didn't want to have any other modifications left over.

• I think so. To me it's improved in volume and fewer noisy artifacts. To be fair I've only used it in slot X with the amp/cab off.

Is there any definitive word on if a new profile needs to be made from scratch to have the benefit of the improved AS? We can't just guess.

• Also, I think I have a Great sounding acoustic sim preset. But, like I said before although it sounds awesome on its own, it just doesn't cut through the mix like a real acoustic. I had a rehearsal then I tweaked it (I thought with the improved sim, didn't make a new one) then I had another this weekend. Although it was an improvement it still didn't cut through. The other guitar player in the band uses a Helix with a Variax. I think My Acoustic sound is superior and sounds more like an acoustic, his cuts through. It's not a volume thing either. I have one more rehearsal in two weeks before our first gig back since Feb. I just want to be able to not haul around(if we ever get to haul around stuff again) a whole acoustic rig(aura preamp Di, wireless, guitar...)

• Also, I think I have a Great sounding acoustic sim preset. But, like I said before although it sounds awesome on its own, it just doesn't cut through the mix like a real acoustic. I had a rehearsal then I tweaked it (I thought with the improved sim, didn't make a new one) then I had another this weekend. Although it was an improvement it still didn't cut through. The other guitar player in the band uses a Helix with a Variax. I think My Acoustic sound is superior and sounds more like an acoustic, his cuts through. It's not a volume thing either. I have one more rehearsal in two weeks before our first gig back since Feb. I just want to be able to not haul around(if we ever get to haul around stuff again) a whole acoustic rig(aura preamp Di, wireless, guitar...)

No need to rebuild the rig with the new AS. The changes are applied automatically.

When your guitar sounds more acoustic, but your mate cuts better through the mix, then you might have more authentical lows and highs, while he has more mid frequencies on his guitar.

Try to adapt the AS in a band rehearsal.

Lower Bronce, Sparkle and also Pickup accordingly to lean towards a middle frequency sound. Adjust the volume accordingly.

• Yes, I've done exactly that and yes, that's where I've boosted some with the studio EQ. but when I do too much it starts to sound "not passable," and yes I think that's why maybe his cuts through better. But my actual acoustic does too. I think I'm gonna have to record my Acoustic with my set up and try to match as best I can(or better). I'll get it eventually. I'm on a mission not to have to haul around an acoustic rig...

• Just uploaded a profile called AcouSim12 simulating a 12-String acoustic Guitar

for the basic sound i took some hints of the examples posted here.
    For the 12-String sound i took the Melody Chromatic Delay and use a bit of delay for the octave.

Works perfect for strumming with the Neck SC of a strat type Guitar (Ibanez AZ2204 in my case)