The Acoustic Simulator

• Does L6 variax do a convincing emulation?

I had the gen - 2 for a while. It did a very nice job with ac sim, way better than the Kemper (sorry guys!) and the 12-string, banjo, and sitar sounded really good. What did NOT sound good was using this for rock and roll, not at all. That's why I sold mine after just a month tinkering around with it. I also hated the high action and thick strings they insisted you did not change.

Gary ô¿ô

• I had the gen - 2 for a while. It did a very nice job with ac sim, way better than the Kemper (sorry guys!) and the 12-string, banjo, and sitar sounded really good. What did NOT sound good was using this for rock and roll, not at all. That's why I sold mine after just a month tinkering around with it. I also hated the high action and thick strings they insisted you did not change.

I had a 1st generation Variax built into a G&L Tele-type guitar. I thought that the basic models, LP, Strat, FilterTron and acoustic models were really usable. In particular, the acoustic models sounded much better than the sound of my acoustic guitars DI.

But i typically kept it on Tele models as I discovered that there's more than the sound of a guitar when it comes to my playing. If it feels like a Tele, I really don't want it to sound like a Les Paul.

Sure, it's great for a few moments when you absolutely must have a certain tone but i really don't need to. I don't think anyone cares (not even the rest of the band) if that acoustic guitar intro is played on an electric or acoustic. Soon enough I was playing my favourite guitars for the whole set instead of a less liked one which was more versatile.

It's different if you're a professional band but then you've got a tech to pass you the next guitar for each song. Each to their own though!

• I also hated the high action and thick strings they insisted you did not change.

Whilst I had terrible luck with the QC on all 6 guitars I went through, finally reverting to the first unit that luckily was still sitting at the wholesalers after 2 years and a Helluvan ordeal, I did manage to get that one (the Strat-style Tyler model) to play great.

It turned out to have the fewest physical defects (only about 8 IIRC, as opposed to up to 15 for the other units I went through), and also sounded the most-chimey. I fitted it with 10s and after neck, bridge, string-height and intonation adjustments had that puppy playing beautifully.

I can't handle high action and whilst going through all those guitars, communicating my adjustments and tweaks to L6 techs for two full years, was never told not to change string guages or lower string heights. I don't understand why you would've been told that, Gaz.

• was never told not to change string guages or lower string heights. I don't understand why you would've been told that, Gaz.

But told it, I was. What can I say? I could have just changed them but I realized I didn't like it for rock anyway, so why go to the trouble. My favorite rock with acoustic was the Music Man JP Maestro with piezo. Only problem with that was a very poor design placement of the pickup selector. Every few strums I'd hit the selector and change from neck to bridge p/u. Most annoying while playing in a club. Great acoustic though!

Gary ô¿ô

• I just can't seem to get enough of the AS!

I'm baffled with some of the complaints and/or issues some are having.

Hell, this thing sounds so amazing, my bandmates want me to use it ALL of the time...lol

I run my KPA (Stage) direct to FOH and use IEM's.

Here is my recipe:

Input Noise Gate: 5.0

Clean Sensitivity: -5.0

Distortion Sensitivity: 0.0

Rig Volume: +5.5

AS in the X Slot.

Pickup: 8.0

Body: -3.5

Bronze: +5.0

Sparkle: -5.0

All I play are humbucker equipped Les Pauls.

Pickups are: BB Pros, 57 Classics, 57 Classic Plus', and EMG 85/81.

This "recipe" works with ALL of my Les Pauls.

I aint got no hiss, just PURE BLISS!!8o:P;)

~Troy

• Somewhere in this thread I imagine the volume issue has been addressed, but a recent search didn't answer in my question.

So, much as I like the acoustic sim, I can't get it nearly loud enough to match all my other profiles. I can work around this, but it would be nice to find a way to boost the sim volume without massive changes to my other settings. Any ideas?

• Somewhere in this thread I imagine the volume issue has been addressed, but a recent search didn't answer in my question.

So, much as I like the acoustic sim, I can't get it nearly loud enough to match all my other profiles. I can work around this, but it would be nice to find a way to boost the sim volume without massive changes to my other settings. Any ideas?

Hey FreeBlues,

It is pretty impotant to start with a SUPER CLEAN profile first, then turn off the stack and work from there.

I'd also recommend removing ALL effects in the signal chain and start from scratch in that regard, as effects can impact your overall volume.

The only other thing I can figure is that the volumes of your other rigs/profiles need brought down.

That's the best advice I could give you with my little experience.

~Troy

Have you tried increasing Clean Sens?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

Try the one I made in rig exchange called “Acoustic” by jon9max. It’s loud (and sounds good, single coil or spit coil neck or middle)

• Have you tried increasing Clean Sens?

This works, but I can't figure out why! Thanks for all the other suggestions. While I've started to try to make the work, I can't say I've managed to create anything that sounds like an acoustic, more just a super clean, bright electric. Still trying...

• I just can't seem to get enough of the AS!

I'm baffled with some of the complaints and/or issues some are having.

Hell, this thing sounds so amazing, my bandmates want me to use it ALL of the time...lol

I run my KPA (Stage) direct to FOH and use IEM's.

Here is my recipe:

Well I am very glad you are satisfied or even thrilled with your "recipe." With my humbucking PRS's your tweaks sound like shit, sorry, nothing personal intended. My 'own' recipe' is a whole lot better with my PRS's, but I would never attach the word "acoustic" to it even. This thing (AS) does NOT imho sound amazing, just deeply disappointing. My bandmates do NOT want me to use it but rarely, never mind "ALL of the time"! FOH is somewhat better, sure, but I can't use IEM's due to being born deaf in one ear, lost plenty in the other over the years. Still - I have 3 beautiful true acoustic guitars that the sim can't even come close to emulating regardless of the monitoring. so - great for you, I'll just keep my alternatives open.

Cheers!

Gary ô¿ô

• Well I am very glad you are satisfied or even thrilled with your "recipe." With my humbucking PRS's your tweaks sound like shit, sorry, nothing personal intended. My 'own' recipe' is a whole lot better with my PRS's, but I would never attach the word "acoustic" to it even. This thing (AS) does NOT imho sound amazing, just deeply disappointing. My bandmates do NOT want me to use it but rarely, never mind "ALL of the time"! FOH is somewhat better, sure, but I can't use IEM's due to being born deaf in one ear, lost plenty in the other over the years. Still - I have 3 beautiful true acoustic guitars that the sim can't even come close to emulating regardless of the monitoring. so - great for you, I'll just keep my alternatives open.

Cheers!

This is completely argumentative, insulting and inappropriate. If you dont like it fine, dont use it and move on. There is zero reason for you to bash me or my suggestions to the fellow who asked about using HB's with the AS and your "sorry" doesn't excuse it. Go over to TGP if you feel the need to bash on someones post.

I'm relatively new here and up until now, it's been a very welcoming, friendly astute environment.

All I've tried to do is help someone, and contribute to the forum in a positive manner.

I will refrain from any further comment.

Cheers!

• It is pretty impotant to start with a SUPER CLEAN profile first, then turn off the stack and work from there.

Just wondering why it would matter to start with a super clean program if you're going to turn it off anyway? If you had an ENGL invader amp there and turned it off, wouldn't you have the same thing as if you had a Jazz chorus and turned it off?

• Just wondering why it would matter to start with a super clean program if you're going to turn it off anyway? If you had an ENGL invader amp there and turned it off, wouldn't you have the same thing as if you had a Jazz chorus and turned it off?

you are correct. It makes no difference as the profile os bypassed completely.

• Hi!

While you talk much about the sound outcome, there is only sparse information about your individual settings for the AC.

Share some more settings, or even audio clips.

Hints can be given then for better settings.

Without knowing better, I have the apprehension that some of you use the AC with its default settings only, and don't achive a good sound by that.

The AC needs to be adjusted by ear to every guitar and even pickup setting!

I have seen two videos on Youtube where the AC is presented with three guitars and all pickup settings, without even touching the Profiler. This is truly suboptimal (even though the sounds were not that bad ...)