Inconsistent profiles

• I have a Stage. I got it I think last October. Played around with it for a while then went for months not being able to use it much-really busy on other things. So, my problem is that when I profile I get different results. I was doing it like this: Amp -> Torpedo Captor -> DAW w/ IRs -> back to Kemper

I started noticing that my results were all over the place. First, I thought well maybe somewhere in my chain I have an issue. I tried different amps, cords, etc and no difference. I still get this inconsistency. Some sound good while others sound really bad - harsh and trebly and anywhere in between.

So, today I make 10 Direct Amp DA profiles of the same amp with the same settings. The definition will come out any where from 8.5 to 10.0 on this set of 10. I then import the same single IR and adjust the definition the same for each of these rigs. They all sound different! What is causing this?

• If you were using your DAW for IR sounds, you were using external digital gear that may not of been completely in sync. Most DAW’s have some latency. Is it possible for you to direct monitor through an IR plug-in?

First, I really appreciate your help!
    The way I was profiling, I wasn't using any digital signal so I wouldn't have to do any clock syncing. I understand what you mean though, I have ADAT preamps etc. I did however try different input buffer latency settings. That was one of the first things I thought it might be. This last set I profiled was entirely done with only my torpedo captor and the amp so, no DAW or interface etc in the chain. I wanted to rule that out but the problem is still there. This last set I just imported my IRs to the Kemper and used them with the DA profiles that way I could rule out any other thing besides the Kemper it's self. I even tried different amps. I also have Two Captors ( 8 Ohm & 16 Ohm) and tried both....same thing happens. It is with the Kemper, but why??? Am I missing something?? I should add that I have not been doing the refining process. I had read that it isn't needed and I have experimented and haven't noticed any major differences.

• i’m only thinking out loud here but have you tried a simple DI Box with the real speaker connected to the through.

i have the Torpedo Reload which the Captor is based on and it definitely changes the sound of profiles. In my case not necessarily in “bad” way but definitely different. For DI profiles I actually prefer my cheap and cheerful ART DI box.

• i’m only thinking out loud here but have you tried a simple DI Box with the real speaker connected to the through.

i have the Torpedo Reload which the Captor is based on and it definitely changes the sound of profiles. In my case not necessarily in “bad” way but definitely different. For DI profiles I actually prefer my cheap and cheerful ART DI box.

No, I haven't but that is what I am planning for this weekend along with just the actual speaker and mics. I also do have a few other DI boxes ( Radial & Rupert Neve ) to try. Thanks for the heads up on the DI boxes. I do know that all are not created equal when dealing with those. Thanks for your response, I really do appreciate you taking your time to help!

• Ok, so today first thing I try is using my Torpedo Captor in thru mode while hooked to a cab. The idea here is to make a DA profile and then add the same IR to each to hear the difference.

Still get inconsistent results. Definition varies from 8.0 to 10.0. I can then set definition to the same on all examples and it changes the tone a little but still ALL are inconsistent and do not sound the same.

Up next: I do the same experiment with my Rupert Neve DI box, going thru to a real cab. I get the same results= INCONSISTENT!!!!!

The Neve DI did sound a little richer overall which would be expected but again the results are different each time. It's not always just the definition but also the gain. Today I just ran each set in groups of 3. All 3 always sound different. I can even afterward set Definition and Gain the same and they still sound different.

I always allow the amp to warm up for a few minutes as well.

So, is my Kemper defective???

Has anyone else tried an experiment like this? Do you get the same result each time or is mine faulty?

• Yes, I have messed with that refining process and used a looper pedal that way it was identical and I still got different results.

I am coming to the conclusion that this is either normal??? for the Kemper or mine is defective??

Anyone???, please do an experiment and see if you have the same results.

I'm not actually too worried that the Kemper would not be an exact copy of the real amp but consistency to me is very important.

• Yes, I have messed with that refining process and used a looper pedal that way it was identical and I still got different results.

I am coming to the conclusion that this is either normal??? for the Kemper or mine is defective??

Anyone???, please do an experiment and see if you have the same results.

I'm not actually too worried that the Kemper would not be an exact copy of the real amp but consistency to me is very important.

There can be small differences profiling the exact setting two times in a row for me. If the differences are big there is likely an issue with gain staging or noise. Clipping or grouding issues totally ruin the profile.

• I finally had a chance to test this on my Toaster. DI Profiled using Mesa Mark V:25 Crunch Mode > ART ZDirect DI Box > Mesa EVM12L Thiele cab on the through socket providing the load. No refining was carried out.

I made a batch of profiles with the same amp settings. The profiles recorded the same data for everything except Definition which read 5.2 on most and 5.1 on a couple of others. However, I reckon that is effectively the same. Tube Shape 3.3 on all attempts. The profiles sounded identical on a very quick listen back through studio monitors with a cabinet from a different rig Locked in RM.

• Well, after doing some profiling with a real cab hooked up ( speaker out -> DI thru w/real cab -> Kemper) I think that works the best. I still get a little variation but not nearly as wide as before.

Also, I get more variation with the Two Notes Torpedo Captor than I do with my Rupert Neve RNDI.

I think the culprit was the Captor. Being a reactive load it most not be as consistent as a real speaker???

So, my conclusion would be:

You can use a reactive load box like the Captor into a DAW with IRs but the results can be all over the place.

Using the Captor with a thru to a real speaker is better.

The best is to use the Rupert RNDI with a real speaker.

Thanks everyone who has responded and for your help!

• Well, it's back!

I thought I had it worked out but here comes the horrible inconsistencies again!

Have an amp that has the gain set on 2 which would be just a slight bit of breakup. After profiling it shows the gain really high and sounds NOTHING like the amp. Way overly distorted! This thing works sometimes and then other times ...not even close.