Urgend improvents on Kemper Software development and deployment HOW-TOs and processes

• Dear all,

as there were again issues - like in the past several times - with the launching of new RM and FW releases (RM122 and 7.4) and the response to my suggestions of the Kemper team on that Topic was and is like zero, I want to Point out this urgent necessary improvements over the profiler forum. The Minimum improvements according to the subject actually are:

- Software testing: New firmware and RM Software packages have to be tested before launching extensive via RM and (later?) on the HP for all basic operations in combination and for each product itsself (seperately)

- If not possible due to ressources: Less SW launches with higher quality are much better than many releases which contains bugs. At the end user satisfaction should be the highest target which also helps on making Kemper a name for reliable products

- Lauching SW has to be synchronized between the download ability via RM and Kemper Hompage. A delay of providing new SW on the Homepage reflects that Kemper is unsure having provided a sufficient tested software and waits for response and service desk feedback. If tests are done in a sufficient way, no major issues will come up, users are prevented to go forth and back between Releases and to have frustrated user experience. Cave: Not every Kemper user is a technical software expert!

- Once a software package was released, it should not be deleted from download without any comment in the forum or on the HP. This is totally unprofessional and gives the feeling of still being and acting like a "start-up company"

- Beta software has to be quoted as Beta (eg. RM 122 wasnt marked as Beta)

- Contacting support and delivering detailed information on issues incl. providing analysing files is often replied as "we cannot see the problem on our side". This is definitely a lack of the existing analysing processes. There seems to be to less or no feedback loop from the support team towards the development and vice versa.

- The support team has to be aware of all supported platforms, Mac and Windows. Calling the friendly support and hearing that the guy can only give answers on Mac because somebody else is only specialized on Windows, does not reflect a support team making sense.

- As long as the RM is necessery to manipulate Performances in a comfortable way (eg we still miss the import of performances via USB), a huge attention on the quality and reliability of the RM is required.

As I am working in the software industry since decades I have offered to help the development with basic tips on that topics without costs several times: Unfortunately Kemper is massive advice resistant.

Please Kemper Team: Dont be advice resistant, and try to improve on aboves topics dramatically, it is really worth - Thank you.

Hannes

• I agree with most of what you wrote.

The computer based software (aka Rig Manager) and its interfacing with the hardware unit is (and has always been) flawed. It's very obvious, at least to me, that they struggle with it. It's almost like patching leaks on a rusty boat.

The foundation of the interfacing / handshaking between software and hardware unit is so off that they couldn't "fix" it since years ... and likely never will.

I've long given up trying to convince them or even trying to help them. They don't want it, so they need to live with the situation they're in.

On the positive side, I just use Rig Manager as little as possible and focus more on playing and producing.

• Dear random user... we get it, you work in software and it's a sensitive topic for you but;

- No need to upgrade your OS compulsively within hours of a release. Touring pros are not reloading the Kemper page every 10 minutes to find out if there is a new version out. Give a few days/weeks/months to see reported bugs be addressed.

- Stick to official releases if your stability is that important (the latest one that you refer to was a beta.) No one will look down on you for having last year's version. I don't sound any better with 7.3 than I sounded with 5.0 (which I rocked until last month.)

- It might be a better idea to delete something problematic from the download section rather than leaving it, wouldn't it?

- RM is supported on both platforms and specific bugs can't always be replicated. If they can, they will be probably addressed or worked on in a later version.

-Kemper customer service is second to none. But don't take my word for it, ask others who have been there from the start.

• My advice

dont use Beta Software if you're opinion is like the written above

use release Software and you're done

You cant demand cmpl working Beta releases

The Support and reaction from Kemper is outstanding

• But don't take my word for it, ask others who have been there from the start.

1. Dear touring pro, I for one am here long enough I guess and as someone who has bought a total of 4 Profilers, I feel like my opinion and experiences do count.

2. Nobody was complaining about Kemper Customer Service. The complaint goes to those in charge of designing and programming the software. These are not the same people, keep that in mind please.

3. You clearly haven't fully read Hannes' post. The new Rig Manager version is NOT a beta version. It's a release version which requires a kaos update which is NOT a release version. So you end up with a Rig Manager that doesn't work with the latest release firmware. He does have a point there, right?

• Sometimes I feel like this Kemper generation can last forever (good tone is good tone). There seem to be many users in the forum who seem to know much about computers and programming and could maybe put more "improvement" into programming and overall approaches of this Kemper, the average guitarist wouldn't even understand (like myself, maybe). The average musician like myself does not know much about programming but hooefully enough about psychology, marketing, own needs and comparing a product to its direct competitors. But still I feel like much less is really enough to ask repeatedly if it simply does not make much more sense to put every new big effort in a Kemper II from now on, instead of trying to make this old "man" learn new skills and lame tricks. It is not better sound that users continuously demand from this Kemper - of course not - but more and more hardware and like in this case software gimmicks. Nothing is wrong with making a good product and its "software" steadily better. But I wonder how much "better" this generation can get, no matter how much "better" its software and processes around these older guts and hardware housing can get. It is perfect as it is and will remain when many will finally hold that desired Kemper II in their hands.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

Edited 3 times, last by Alienator ().

• Once a software package was released, it should not be deleted from download without any comment in the forum or on the HP. This is totally unprofessional

Fully agree. I there a good reasons for withdrawing a released version, there should be a good explanation, why they did this. And suggest, if users who already installed these versions better should go back to the former stable release.

Less SW launches with higher quality are much better than many releases which contains bugs

I do not agree with this. Releases with small changes are much better trackable; this was common sense in SW development since nearly a decade under the titles "continues integration" and "continuous delivery". Some folks do daily releases!

Well, in effect: this will not work, if your grown software has bad designs, bad code and you are trying to fix some of it, and then tear new holes.

• There are many people on here who work in software....I have been leading software delivery teams for over 20 years so I think i know my stuff too.

I also know CI/CD principles, devOps and Agile inside out. They are not always appropriate and not some magical golden ticket, so providing an external view without understanding the structure, platform, commercials etc is just an exercise in ego and this isn't the place for a debate on it.

My tu'penny worth:

• There is no single answer to quality in software development. Bugs will always come out because you cannot test everything. Its balance of cost and risk. No-one outside that team truly knows what is best, so stop guessing. Yes raise the concerns and any issues and you might get a better response. Give them the problem not the solution.
    • I have NEVER had an issue with upgrades and updating. Its been exceptionally stable for me. I have no stats so no idea if I'm lucky or you are unlucky.
    • There is a wider set of variables they are dealing with ( O/S, versions, user errors etc). RM has clearly been re-worked to do something it was never originally designed so that I suspect must be a factor. Given we keep asking for new functionality, the balance I suspect they have to play is between functionality and fundamental re-design ( if its even needed), especially if the failure rate is low.

My point is this is all guess work.

Kemper are a relatively small company and I suspect with limited resources. For what they deliver ( yes time/cost/quality yawn), I think they do a damn fine job.

I'm not a blind "fan boy" before the accusations start, just re-counting my experience. They resisted so much criticism with RM 3.0 to get it out earlier but held fast on quality.

BTW I'm about to upgrade, if that goers wrong I'll blame this post under "sods law"!!

You raise some good points but I believe you also miss the mark.

Kemper already offers the option to have reduced updates but with more proven, stable results. Fortunately, they also offer us the option of more frequent updates but with some risk of issues.

If you want the former, don't upgrade until the updates are thoroughly tested, into the release stage and then tested some more. There are plenty of us that do so and I'm certainly a good few updates back. These updates aren't security updates on a PC, they're new features and bug fixes. It's up to you if you want to install them.

Secondly, regarding the Mac/Windows support team; we're in a global pandemic. Working environments are unusual, information sharing has changed. Also, Kemper aren't a massive company that have resources coming out of their ears or even the support of being owned by a multinational company like Line 6. There will be issues like this as a result.

Lastly, I use a seperate Performance for each song live and have never used RM to program any Performance. I'm sure there are benefits but it's in no way at all essential.