Using an FRFR Monitor For Both Guitar Out & MP3 Simulataneosly

• Hi all,

Long time reader of the forums, but first time posting. It's a pleasure to see how supportive and constructive this community is, and I'm excited to finally join in. I'm getting close to finalizing my decision to purchase a Kemper Stage. I have two questions:

1) If I am utilizing an FRFR cabinet as my only audio monitor, can I play an Mp3 (eg. via iPhone) while simultaneously playing through the Kemper in performance mode? I know that by utilizing the auxiliary input, you can plug in an MP3 player and jam along with the audio routed to headphones, but what I'm curious about is if I can do the same but with a single FRFR monitor. Simply put, can I play an Mp3 file from my phone and jam along with the same FRFR speaker?

2) A more general question: From my readings about the Stage, it seems there were a number of hiccups in the early days. At this point (Summer 2020), is the Kemper Stage as reliable a piece of hardware as its big brother, the Toaster? I'm a minimalist at heart, and love the idea of using just the Stage and a light FRFR as my main rig. I live in a city, and fantasize about being able to walk to the train with the Stage, my guitar, and the FRFR in hand.

Thanks for your input in advance,

Sam

• Thanks, Paults. I'm specifically looking at the Headrush 108. It's the smallest FRFR I could find with generally positive reviews. Labeled "Volume 1" and "Volume 2," there are two XLR/TRS inputs. Would that do the trick?

• Excellent, thanks so much for the prompt replies.

Last question: When using the MP3 player with a two Input FRFR, would I plug the iphone directly into one of the Headrush's Inputs, or would I plug the iPhone into the Stage?

• Welcome to the forum! I use a mixer to blend all my different sounds, but the minimalist approach can work too. I suggest trying it out using the Aux input on the Stage. This will mean that you can't use an external loop in your rigs, but if that's not an issue you can certainly give it a whirl.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• is the Kemper Stage as reliable a piece of hardware as its big brother, the Toaster?

Well, I cannot speak for the Toaster (except what I heard here), never had one. But since October, I am a Stage user and had no probs with this device since that. Besides hardware, which might be different, but I think not at the DSP level, both types now share the same OS. And here it is, where you talk about reliability. Anyway, small bugs in the OS might not make it unreliable. Bugs which sometimes are annoying, mostly happen when you running the Kemper together with the RigManager and do some heavy rig editings. Whilest just playing on the Stage, never met any problem.