Help me get up and running for acoustic shows

• Hey there,

New Kemper Stage owner here. I have been really digging this incredibly deep tool for at home practice and teaching guitar lessons via ZOOM through a UA Apollo Twin iMac with various electric guitars. I have been really enjoying some profiles from Top Jimi, Tone Junkies, Micheal Britt and Kemper. It's been 2 weeks now and I have a grasp of the basic functions.

Here In NY some summer outdoor acoustic shows are becoming un-cancelled. I would like to try to upgrade my situation by employing the Kemper Stage in place of the Platinum pre in my spartan rig:

AC guitar with an LR Baggs M80> (Fishman Platinum pre)> mackie mixer> qsc powered speaker.

Thinking it would be cool to take advantage of the looper and fx and have some different tones to layer with. I have a mission pedal also.

Any suggestions on acoustic guitar specific profiles, settings, routing, or how to get the most out of the Kemper in a live acoustic format in general much appreciated.

Thank you,

Kenny

• Hi, welcome and have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper :thumbup:8)

AC guitar with an LR Baggs M80> (Fishman Platinum pre)> mackie mixer> qsc powered speaker.

Thinking it would be cool to take advantage of the looper and fx and have some different tones to layer with.

Pretty straight forward I'd say. Put the Kemper between guitar and mixer (only if you want to add other signals like vocals etc. - otherwise you can go from the Kemper to the QSCs directly for just amplifying your guitar).

Regarding profiles for Acoustic guitar I have very good experience with free stuff like the Pre-Amp profiles from Downfall Studio on the RigExchange (Neve 1073, Avalon, UA and more). Those give a nicely thicker sound for the guitar and you can easily apply all the great effects in the Kemper.

Depending on your style and program I would put some light compression in the stomps and maybe some chorus, delay and reverb in the effects section. But that all depends on your taste and there are virtually no limits. Sometimes little pitch shifting is nice to create some 12-string impression. And by the way there is also a great pack with acoustic guitar profiles by Bert Meulendijk ( breu 's Acoustic pack) which I like very much.

• Perfect. Thank you for the suggestions! I looked up Downfall Studio on the exchange and grabbed a few mic pres to try. Is Bert's stuff on the exchange or somewhere else?

What do you recommend as far as routing? Disable amp and cab and put light comp and eq first followed by fx and then pre amp at the end? I know the correct answer is to try it all and see but if you have any more tips I'll gladly take em.

I'm used to running a only touch of reverb from the Mackie and occasional boost and tune from the platinum pre. If I can beat that base sound and add a few fx, looping and volume control it would be well worth the extra lug.

I will still need the mixer for 2 mics plus bass.

• Is Bert's stuff on the exchange or somewhere else?

Nope. But you can easily google his full name mentioned above and find his page. He's as well active here in the forum, nickname mentioned above as well.

What do you recommend as far as routing? Disable amp and cab and put light comp and eq first followed by fx and then pre amp at the end?

Not sure that I understand that question. The routing can not be changed in the Kemper. Stomps / Amp / Effects. That's the sequence and it makes absolutely sense. Disable amp would mean that you don't get anything from the profiles mentioned above. Disabling cab might be wise in most cases for acoustic guitar. But as you say: Give it a try and enjoy 8)

• Deadman,

lol. I realize the mistake now that I loaded the Downfall LA 610 profile and found the pre amp loaded as the "amp". Excuse a noob. Makes total sense now. I guess I was thinking it would load as an effect instead of an amp.

I loaded the 610 and messed with the settings, added stomps and fx and was really loving the sound when I accidentally hit the "5" rig button next to the tap tempo and lost it all. 8| Learning the hard way.

• You'll get there Kenny, don't worry. Typically the learning curve is steep and often more than one way leads to what you want.

Make yourself familiar with the Performance mode and see what it does to you in terms of tweaking the profile and adding effects. As it said in one of the early computer games: Save early, save often.

In the Performance mode you can change the profile in a slot of your performance to your liking and easily save any intermediate state. If your using RigManager you can also easily get the profile out of the performance back into the Rig format. I rarely use the Browser mode except for auditioning stuff from RigExchange.