How and why is the Kemper unable to receive MIDI through USB?

• I am hoping I'm wrong on this but I find it astounding that in 2020 the Kemper does not receive MIDI via USB. This means I will have to come up with some convoluted solution dedicating 2 USB slots to the kemper when USB slots are already at a premium for me. Just really baffling they would omit something so obvious on an otherwise very forward thinking machine. If anyone has any workarounds I would love to hear them.

• Most guitarist are used to plugging in a midi cable and that seems more robust for live shows really. Maybe unfairly, I always associated USB midi with budget keyboard controllers.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

Edited once, last by karlic ().

• Maybe it's because I only use my kemper in a studio setting, and it always has a USB plugged in anyways for Rig Manager. Just seems like such a simple thing to use that one USB for everything

• Without a host computer, I’m not aware that USB-USB MIDI is a thing, is it? For example, connecting to floor controllers, amps (for channel switching) or keyboards so that patch changes trigger performance slots to be recalled, loopers with MIDI clock etc.

In those performance-centric device to device use cases, which I would suggest is the Kemper’s primary stomping ground, 5pin DIN connections make a lot more sense. I guess they could have fitted both, but I’m sure a line has to drawn somewhere to prevent feature-creep.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• I guess I should have been more clear about my setup. I have a macbook connected to the Kemper permanently in a studio. The kemper is mounted in a desk rack and never moves. Since the Kemper already makes use of USB, increasingly so with the improvements being made to Rig Manager, it just seems obvious to pass MIDI through as well.

• I guess I should have been more clear about my setup. I have a macbook connected to the Kemper permanently in a studio. The kemper is mounted in a desk rack and never moves. Since the Kemper already makes use of USB, increasingly so with the improvements being made to Rig Manager, it just seems obvious to pass MIDI through as well.

Sure, totally agree it would be a nice feature to have and your usage case is valid for a lot of users. I suspect that it is more than just firmware development that would be required though I.e. the USB onboard device chipset would need to support it. I would be happy to be proven wrong in a subsequent release, as it would indeed be a cool feature.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• You could equally complain that your Mac book has too few usb ports. Get a powered usb hub. Or an interface that has midi out.

I doubt that midi over usb is getting added anytime soon to the firmware.

• Not a bad idea, but in a studio context the Bluetooth radios might (and probably would) introduce noise.

Could be. I haven't seen any negative review comments regarding noise, nor have I experienced it myself. That being said, every environment is different for sure.

• You could equally complain that your Mac book has too few usb ports. Get a powered usb hub. Or an interface that has midi out.

I doubt that midi over usb is getting added anytime soon to the firmware.

I have a powered USB hub of course, all ports are in active use. The Kemper would be the only thing in the studio to require 2 usb ports to itself which is just silly

• Could be. I haven't seen any negative review comments regarding noise, nor have I experienced it myself. That being said, every environment is different for sure.

I was looking at those earlier but a bit confused because they seem to be intended mainly for ios? I would love to hear from someone who has used them with a mac and kemper but was unable to find reports of such anywhere

• I was looking at those earlier but a bit confused because they seem to be intended mainly for ios? I would love to hear from someone who has used them with a mac and kemper but was unable to find reports of such anywhere

Check at 2:55

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• And here at 1:05

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Here's a different model that some here use...

• Just be careful with wireless midi because there is latency. I may not matter if you don't mind shifting program changes forward.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7