DI Profiling and Kab/Kone

• Apologies if this is a stupid set of questions but I've never done profiling before.

I'll be profiling a custom Head using the Kemper DI box. I assume that'll give me an amp only profile with no cab in the Cab slot.

To play I use the Kabinet only. Do I need to put anything in the cab slot or if I use a Kabinet imprint will that sound right?

So for example, I usually use this head with a 1x12 V30 cab. So if I use the amp profile with the Kabinet V30 imprint should it sound the same?

Thanks in advance.

WildBillMojo

• 1. Direct Amp Profiles (DAP) are a combination of a preamp plus power amp. It doesn’t matter if they are in a combo, head or even separate rack units.

No speaker cabinet or microphone is used to create the profile.

The Kemper DI is great. Just use good quality cabling and make the connections as printed on the DI box to make the connections. Then follow the instructions in the manual to create the profile.

Yes, you will have no cab in the cab slot after the profile is created.

2. If you did a good job creating the profile, the Kemper Kabinet with the V30 imprint should sound very close to the original hardware.

3. I suggest you create a Studio Profile with your 1 x 12 V30 cab immediately after you create the DAP, but before you change any hardware. Then create a Merged Profile by combining the DAP and Studio profiles.

Then compare the Studio profile to the DAP with the Kabinet and the Merged Profile with the Kabinet in FRFR mode.

• Yes, you need to put something in the Cabinet slot otherwise the Kemper Kone will assume you want to play bass or acoustic guitar and go into full range mode. If you are only using the Kone and there is nothing going to FOH or recording interface you cab put anything you like in the Cabinet block. If you are likely to use The Main Output at some point then put something you like in the Cabinet block.

• OK thanks folks. In the end I used a DI and dropped a Celestion IR into the Cab slot. The Blue IR and the Kone with the Blue imprint sound exactly the same; the Vintage 30 Imprint needs a little tweaking of the Sweetness control to get it really close. All in all I’m pretty happy with that approach. Thanks for your help.

WildBillMojo