Analog pedals with Kemper: input or loop?

• Hi,

if you have a Kemper, you have probably tried at least once to connect an analog pedal like on a classic tube amp. I tried 3 configurations:

- input

- loop mono

- loop distortion

founding that the result is almost identical. I didn't notice a big difference in tone.

I also found that I can get more punch and fullness, turning down volume and gain on the pedals, so leaving more headroom. This is quite different from the behaviour of a tube amp, where the more you boost the volume with pedals (TS9 for example), the more the amp sounds better

And you? What is your experience using analog pedals with Kemper?

• I tried a JHS morning glory and a BJE Silver pedal and both sounded nearly identical to them being just run direct into the front of the amp when I used them in the loop of the Kemper. I was pleased.

• Compression, fuzz, dirt, boots etc. should do fine going into the input. If you're not using the loop for anything else and have a slot, that's fine too.

My experience is that the KPA takes my pedals extremely well.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I did a lot of tests in the last weeks and I found that the Kemper, similarly to a real tube amp, reacts well to some pedals, bad to other pedals.

For example, it takes very well my Hermida Dover Drive and Buffalo FX Evolution overdrive, but it's meh with the MXR FET Driver and the Boss BD-2.

And the FET Driver is very similar to the Dover Drive, they're both solid state clones of the famous Butler Tube Driver, but the first one sounds awesome, the second one like a Guitar Rig overdrive emulation.

So my idea it's that it depends...it depends on the pedal, on the circuit, probably on the output impedance also.