How to use correctly Direct Profiles?

• Hi all,

this is my 1st post to this forum so please be patient with me :) I am using Kemper Stage for 10 months now and recently started to work with Direct Profiles. My understanding and also real experience is that if I connect Direct profile to the guitar cabinet (in my case with 1x12 Celestion Vintage 30 speaker) via monitor out I get perfect results. Monitor Cab Off is engaged. My power amp is HoTone Loudster i.e. solid state amp. This is actually described in:

KEMPER PROFILER Main Manual 7.0, page 83, Direct Amp PROFILES, 2nd paragraph:

"A Direct Amp PROFILE can run a physical guitar cabinet with the highest possible authenticity, amplified by a solid-state amp, or the built-in class D power amp of PowerHead and PowerRack."

Than I read this:

KEMPER PROFILER Addendum 7.5, page 14, What's new in version 7.2?, last bullet:

"You probably use Direct PROFILEs in your live set, such as acoustic guitar sounds or bass Rigs. Direct PROFILEs are marked by having the cabinet module set to “Empty” and feature a full-range sound that will be very unpleasant through a traditional guitar speaker. Therefore, in Speaker Imprint mode (Monitor Cab Off active), when switching to a Direct PROFILE, KEMPER Kone will automatically switch to full-range mode for that Rig. No preparation required!"

I am a bit confused now because I think both statement are contradictory. But maybe it is just my wrong english language understanding.

Can you please comment it!

Thanks

• Yes, 2nd quote refers to the Kone but Kone is not only FRFR speaker, its main advantage is imprints usage, i.e. it behaves like particular guitar cabinet so switching automaticaly to FRFR mode seems to me like nonsense :( btw, I want to use Kone as soon as it will be available - that's why I am asking.

• Yes, 2nd quote refers to the Kone but Kone is not only FRFR speaker, its main advantage is imprints usage, i.e. it behaves like particular guitar cabinet so switching automaticaly to FRFR mode seems to me like nonsense :( btw, I want to use Kone as soon as it will be available - that's why I am asking.

Yes but you wouldn't want a regular cab simulation with the tone I guess? It uses imprints instead. This quote is probably mistranslated though

• "You probably use Direct PROFILEs in your live set, such as acoustic guitar sounds or bass Rigs. Direct PROFILEs are marked by having the cabinet module set to “Empty” and feature a full-range sound that will be very unpleasant through a traditional guitar speaker. Therefore, in Speaker Imprint mode (Monitor Cab Off active), when switching to a Direct PROFILE, KEMPER Kone will automatically switch to full-range mode for that Rig. No preparation required!"

Kemper Kone Mode is designed to automatically switch to Full Range with Acoustic or Bass Rigs.

If you are using a conventional guitar cabinet, you will not be using Kemper Kone Mode, so, the above paragraph does not apply to your use.

• Kemper Kone Mode is designed to automatically switch to Full Range with Acoustic or Bass Rigs.

If you are using a conventional guitar cabinet, you will not be using Kemper Kone Mode, so, the above paragraph does not apply to your use.

I WANT to use Kone as soon as it will be available. My only concern was, wheather the Kone Imprint mode will work with Direct profiles. But you are right, that the quote is probably about Acoustic or Bass Rigs only, not Guitar Rigs. Anyway, even if it is so the wording of the paragraph is a bit misleading. Thanks to all.

• I think the use of the term "direct profiles" contributes to this confusion. This has meant in the past direct profiles of the line output or speaker out of guitar amps. These can be used with guitar cabs with conventional guitar speakers with good results but not with full range PA type amplification. With the advent of the Kone, "direct profiles" are now including acoustic and bass profiles which ARE meant to be reproduced with full range PA style systems.

Kemper users with collections of commercial direct profiles or direct profiles they have made themselves want to exploit the speaker imprints offered by the Kone with them. They want to apply the speaker imprints to these direct profiles.

So the use of "direct profiles" terminology is being applied to opposing use cases - 1) where the imprints are applied and 2) where the flat response mode is applied.

Finding another term for the acoustic and DI bass amp profiles (ie without cabs) might help clarify things.

• the Kone will go To FR mode for acoustic or bass if there is no cabinet loaded (direct profile). However, if someone os using a Direct Profile of a regular guitar amp they will typically also have a cabinet of some sort loaded for the signal going to FOH. Therefore, When using a guitar amp Direct Profile the Kone will use the imprints correctly.