Full DI signal not getting through Kemper during profiling.

• When profiling today, I noticed that some of my tone was missing while playing my guitar through the KPA into the reference amp. My signal chain was Guitar -> Input and Direct Out/Send -> Input of Reference amp (Orange Tiny Terror).

I thought maybe that the difference was my UTA VariCap Cable and where it was in the chain.

I tried...

Guitar - UTA - KPA - Mogami - Tiny Terror compared to Guitar - UTA - Tiny Terror

Guitar - Mogami - KPA - Mogami - Tiny Terror compared to Guitar - Tiny Terror

In both cases, there was a noticeable lack of tone when going through the KPA to my Tiny Terror compared to going straight into the Tiny Terror. This has me questioning the accuracy of the profiles I'm getting considering the process of A-B'ing between the profile created and the reference amp are not accurate.

Thoughts??

• Ivan

I have also found this, when reamping I have to adjust the reamp sensitivity to +12 to match the levels. It loses some of its mojo using the Kemper to Di I find.

I would love it to have something like this from Two Notes.

MATCHTM function

This Two notes innovation is the solution to the problem of level adjustment when re-amplifying. MATCHTM compares the signal as it comes from the guitar (plugged to the DI input) with the signal that has been recorded (and which is sent to the REPLAYTM Line Input) so that what you send to the amp is the ideal level only. Now you can be sure that the signal you send from the DAW is exactly what your guitar itself would be sending.

Edited once, last by Audiopilot: Mostly irrelevant to how you use it. ().

• That's good to know, I'll have to check that out. I do a great deal of reamping. I'm not sure if that gets to the bottom of my tone suck issue though. I'm now wondering if throwing an IC buffer in front of the KPA will allow my DI signal to get through to the amp more accurately.

• Just made my way back around to this because I'm getting ready to have a couple studio days with guitar and hope to capture the tones I like. Has anyone else found this issue specifically when profiling an amp? Not to do with re-amping.

• Not an answer as such but have you tried dialing in the tone on the amp while going through the Kemper?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Yes, that's how I typically go about it, especially since I know the Kemper is eating as much of the tone/gain as it is. My biggest motivation right now is convincing my bandmates to trust the Kemper to grab their favorite amp tones so we can streamline much of our process but the second they heard the difference between the two they were immediately put off, and I honestly can't blame them.

For a box as expensive as this that prides itself as being a profiler, not a sim or modeler like others, its primary function and selling point is the profiling. When it's so quickly easy to prove that it's loosing as much as it is and thus inherently unable to ever get the full juice of the amp, I understand my guys' reluctance to jump on board.

Obviously I'm still an advocate of the KPA and I'm still trying to spread the good word as it were but I'm the kind of person who likes to have an answer for every question as much as physically possible and I can't seem to figure this one out.

For reference, when I was profiling the Tiny Terror mentioned in my initial post, I had to raise the gain from 7 to 8 to match the tones between GTR->AMP and GTR->KPA->AMP respectively. That just seems like a lot more than a little to me but I also might just be being to picky ¯\_(ツ)_/¯