I GOT LOST PLEASE HELP !

• Hi everyone,

I just joined this community by getting second hand KPA. Of course it is much more than a regular processor (GT-8, GT10) of course which I am used to play and discover settings. I watched too many videos and digging this forum so hard to solve my issue. As far as i read from here, some people came across with the same situation.

Every rig sounds same ! I am using with pair of HS 7 which are connected straight through KPA main output section. There are some paid M.Britt profiles in it but they all sounds same. They all start with muddy clean sound and once I increase the gain the tone is becoming more digital. It is just like I am connected to a regular preamp pedal, not amplifier. I downloaded 5150, Marshall, Mesa rigs to test but result is the same. I did init global reset to make sure if its from the settings but nothing changed.

This makes me think that there is something wrong with my KPA as I got it second hand. I will be much appreciated if somebody enlight me so I can keep rocking !

• Hi, welcome, have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper. That will be once we discovered what causes the issue you describe.

To me it sounds like something is locked, i.e. the amp as such. Is the light of the Lock key on? If so please press it to see what is locked and unlock this.

They all start with muddy clean sound and once I increase the gain the tone is becoming more digital.

Increasing the gain will most likely give you sub-optimal to useless results on the Kemper as it is just an extrapolation of the machine of how it could sound then. That's not a good way to get more gain. But in your case it rather seems like there is always the same amp on.

Finally: Contact support if the issue persists. Kemper guys are incredibly helpful and typically motivated to get every user satisfied.

Fingers crossed that you solve it...

• Many thanks for your concern. As I checked nothing is locked. I have Bogner Ecstasy channel 1-2-3 from M.Britt and they all sound same. It shouldn't be like that right ? Once I add boost and distortion, it becomes something but it not Bogner, its like 10w Ibanez amp. Let me try to create a support ticket. I hope the problem is only me not KPA.

• Have you tried with headphones direct from KPA ?

Nothing else connected , only guitar and headphones :)

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Have you tried with headphones direct from KPA ?

Nothing else connected , only guitar and headphones :)

Cheers !

I will definitely try that one and post the result here.

Have you checked if the monitor cab off feature is on or off? Maybe the cab part of the profile is not active somehow.

Just an idea.

I am at work right now I will check it but as far as I remember Monitor Cab Off is 'checked' from global output settings. Is that right ?

• I am at work right now I will check it but as far as I remember Monitor Cab Off is 'checked' from global output settings. Is that right ?

Well, it depends on which output you use. If you are using the monitor out then yes, that setting will disable the cab-block for that output and make the sound very harsh when not connected to a "traditional" guitar cab.

• Well, it depends on which output you use. If you are using the monitor out then yes, that setting will disable the cab-block for that output and make the sound very harsh when not connected to a "traditional" guitar cab.

I am using Master output as left&right with pair of Hs7.

Think about this example. You downloaded a decent Mesa Dual Rectifier Ch3 profile. You chose it in browser mode. How it should sound ? IMO it should start with distortion without adding any stomp or effects right ?

• Yes (if it's not a clean profile obviously ^^; EDIT: Didn't read the "Ch3". So probably a distorted profile :D)

Another thing you should check is the Clean Sense. This can have a big impact. You can find a lot of info on that in the reference manual and on this forum.

Hang in there, I'm sure it will work out for you!

• Yes (if it's not a clean profile obviously ^^; EDIT: Didn't read the "Ch3". So probably a distorted profile :D)

Another thing you should check is the Clean Sense. This can have a big impact. You can find a lot of info on that in the reference manual and on this forum.

Hang in there, I'm sure it will work out for you.

Yea Ch3 should be hard distorted tone. As I did reset by holding system key while opening KPA, all settings like Clean Sense are at 'zero' now. Could you please suggest a profile that I can download and try ?

For example, if you download a 'Marshall' profile and hear Marshall sound once you import the file to the KPA, I should hear the same. It looks like a way to understand if my KPA is broken or not i suppose.

• I recently checked out the Butterslax profiles on rig exchange. Those with numbers 3 or above are definitely not clean ^^

Check them out! If they are clean on your profiler, we need to continue searching.

Are you sure everything in front of the Amp is OK? Guitar, Cable, etc.

• I have just checked 2 different Butterslax profile, number 3* was clean and Butterslax4m was muffled as hell.

I also tried with headphones(only connection with KPA) and it was worse. The sound was clipping and buzzing so hard. All these process have been performed after contacting Kemper Support Team. Here is the message from Kemper Support. They are pretty helpful and willing to help by the way.

*Quote*

thank you for your email.

Maybe the previous owner applied some odd settings that are causing your issue.

Please try the following approach to reset the unit to its factory default state:

In order to reset the PROFILER to the factory default state please perform the following steps:
    1. First, consider creating a backup as this process will delete all user data and reset all global settings.

2. Upgrade to the current PROFILER operating system release software. The steps are described in the manual.

3. Switch the PROFILER Head or Rack model off and press and hold soft button 1 (left above the display) while powering it on into tuner mode. If you are a STAGE user press the soft button 1 and the SYSTEM button and power the unit on.

4. Keep holding the soft button until "System Maintenance " appears on the display.

5. In maintenance mode press "Recovery", "Flash Init", "Yes", "Ok".

6. Then press the EXIT button and reboot or simply restart the PROFILER with the chicken-head knob. The PROFILER will now start with a single rig named "Crunch".

7. Restore the attached backup from a USB memory stick. The process is explained in the manual. The PROFILER will restart automatically.

8. Switch the PROFILER off.

9. Press and hold the two buttons RIG and SYSTEM while powering the PROFILER on. Keep holding them until you see "Initialising global settings" and "Initialising current rig" in the display.

The PROFILER will now start as a brand-new device and you will be asked to confirm date and time and enter an owner name.

*Unquote*

I followed all the steps before trying any of your kind suggestions but result is the same. I feel like there is malfunction with my KPA.

• Not sure if this is going to help, but..

I know exactly what you are saying. There is no massive "difference" in many amp profiles. But this is the real amp sound. Many amps sound similar. Many amp sims have night and day differences but this does not necessarily reflect the real world.

I've used real amps for years, I turned to sims for the usual reasons and was never blown away by them.

I bought my Kemper just over a year ago. It's a keeper.

You have a fairly long road ahead experimenting, but you will eventually find profiles either paid for or free, that suit your playing style, suit your guitar, and are nearer that sound in your head without needing lots of tweaking. At that point you will say "shit - I get it at last ...."

oh - and profiles other people recommend may not suit you / your setup / your playing style.

Don't give up ...

• paddyc what you said is correct, but I don't think this is the current problem here.

You said the Butterslax 3 is clean and this is definitely NOT the case for me! So there must be something wrong.

Please don't take offense, but I want to ask again if you made sure your cables/guitar etc. is not at fault?