Kemper + Power Station + 2x12 w/ Greenbacks...or...Kemper + SS Amp + 2x12 w/ Kemper Kones?

• I currently have the first configuration. I find direct profiles to be hit or miss because there are a lot of variables with the Power Station and some direct profiles just sound thin and need help. Studio profiles are typically not as satisfying running through this config. I normally use MBritt studio profiles and also some from Tone Junkie and Selah Sounds...but MBritt for sure in live or rehearsal applications. I could just go repurchase a Kemper Direct box, "borrow" a Marshall SV20, and do up my own tailored tones.

I'm pondering a simpler set up that is more flexible though. I'd basically go get a few Kemper Kones (if I could find them available) and stick then in my closed back Port City 2x12...in place of the Greenbacks...and then get some type of SS power amp as I read it allows the Kones to do their thing better. If I did this, it sounds like I could get amp-in-the-room feel and tones with studio rigs + I could virtually substitute new speakers into some of those studio profiles. That sounds pretty intriguing to me. However, I do worry about the sounds being too artificial with all of that going on.

I guess the question is out to those who may have tried playing through both configs (or close to it) in the subject line and the pros and cons of each for you.

• I was very happy with a Power Station + two Kones in my Port City 2x12. With the V30 imprints I think it could go head-to-head with a 2x12 Rectifier cab. But, I wanted more versatility so I put one Kone in a Port City 1x12 and the other in an open back tweed cab. I find myself, more often than not, running both cabs at the same time.

And, for the record, I've bought and sold every solid state amp currently available and stopped my search when I finally tried the PS-2. I seriously doubt your "thin" problem is because of the Fryette. Profiles are all hit or miss, and when you change something in your signal chain...like speakers, cab or power amp...it's like you're starting from scratch so you have to put in the time to dial it in. I have specific profiles I use with FRFR, Kones & real cab/speakers

• ElDoca

That was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Much appreciated.

And totally agreed...the direct profiles just vary quite a bit. Case in point...I made two profiles of an Orange OR50 back in the day. Even with the bass dialed down to 3 on the actual profiled amp, they came out sounding thick as it should. No need for depth from the PS2. I tried Tone Junkie's direct Orange CS50 and there seems to be a lot less low end. That might actually be the way that amp differs from the OR50 for all I know. I'll guess I'll just have to dig around for what works or roll my own.

Your approach sounds interesting as far as two different 1x12s but I think for me, to start, I'll see how the 2x12 works out.

One thing I'm not sure of that I hoped you could clear up...do imprints work with direct or merged profiles only or do they work with studio profiles?

• Yeah, I always set the PS2 to flat no matter what. Sometimes it's tempting to "fix" a profile by adjusting the switches on the PS2, but it's better in the long run to simply abandon the profile if you can't dial it in on the Kemper. Save the PS2 controls for dialing in the room, for me that's a lot easier than using the global outputs. Don't forget that to achieve a flat response, the PS2 dials should be turned all the way to the left, NOT be at noon.

Imprints work on all profiles. People get way to preoccupied with studio/direct/merged. There is no rule on what sounds best, trust your ears. I also want to point out that as much as I am enjoying the Kones, I haven't sold off my real speakers yet. CK is so so so close, but when it's just me in a room, real speakers are much sweeter