Direct guitar signal through SPDIF out for recording?

• Hi Profilers!

I try to record a direct guitar inputsignal via SPDIF output set to "Git Studio" but it's somehow not recording. Or maybe the signal output level is to low? is that even possible?

I can record when I set the SPDIF output to Stack or Master stereo.

Can someone help?

Cheers!

Marc

• it should work exactly the same way as stack etc. I don’t have any problems with it. Have you checked you haven’t changed anything in your interface or DAW?

I just switch the SPDIF output setting on the kemper from git studio to master and back... and it seems that the git signal is VERY VERY low

• Are you sending just the DI through spdif? What is the spdif output volume in the output section set to?

oh thats intressting. it is set to 0.0dB... BUT! The parameter text "SPDIF Volume" is not good readable black, it is grey shown, like some few other output parameters aswell, like "Sweetening" or "Directivity".

what does it mean when a setting parameter is grey shown?

• The parameter text "SPDIF Volume" is not good readable black, it is grey shown

The purpose of recording a DI signal is to record a 100% unaltered direct signal (from your guitar). That's why you can't control the output level when you have "Git Studio" selected. This makes sure that when you reamp using this DI track, you will get the same results as if you had your guitar connected ... as long as you don't change it by using your DAW (or audio interface DSP mixer) to change the levels.

• The purpose of recording a DI signal is to record a 100% unaltered direct signal (from your guitar). That's why you can't ....

Okay that makes sense. What about the recording software shows me an signal amplitude of around -32dB and a max. -22dB. (the loudest peak)

Is that normal?

• Depends on what pickups you play, if you have turned down the volume knob on your guitar a bit, what cable quality / cable length you're using, what scale you're using to measure the dB. :)

Generally speaking, the DI signal coming directly from an electric guitar (with passive pickups) is pretty weak. If you're not a hard picking kind of person, maybe even playing with your fingers ... yes, it can be perfectly normal. Please keep in mind that you can connect other (hotter) instruments as well and still need enough headroom to record without clipping. Think of an acoustic guitar with a built-in preamp system. Or think of your electric guitar running through a pedal board with a booster pedal active before it hits the Profiler. ;)

• I wouldn't worry too much about a low input signal. As lightbox already said, electric guitars have a very quiet output by themselves, just somme passive magnets and coils. Have you tried to feed the dry signal back to the Kemper for re-amping, and what were the results?

• Thank you guys, it was my first time recording and reamping. So yeah the input is low because of the passive low output pickups...

I knew it would be definitely lower dB than from the rack or master out, but this was surprising low, so I though something went wrong,

But all good now I believe. Reamping works fine =) And so helpfull and great! I'm tweaking very efficent now with a loop playing in the background I can test every single nob and setting possible to change the tone...

Thank you all for helping!

• Thank you guys, it was my first time recording and reamping. So yeah the input is low because of the passive low output pickups...

Happy you got it sorted. Just two additions:

First: You might want to review this page, great advice and summary: Reamping Guide

Second: I use reamping via SPDIF all the time. With careful eye on the levels on the way and especially when going back from the DAW into the Kemper via SPDIF you can really achieve the same input level for the reamped track. I tried a few times to reamp with the same profile as I played the original track. Was almost the same, at least no noticable difference. I like to keep it like that in order not to compromise the input level and the resulting gain...

• Not sure if it has been mentioned but you can control the DI level with clean sense. Try that.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• And if you want to double check the DI level: The direct out can be used for «GTR Analog». From the manual: «The pure, clean instrument signal is sent to the DIRECT OUTPUT/SEND 1 by an analog splitter, no AD/DA conversion is taking place. The analog signal level is the same as on the instrument input. Useful for reamping or running a second amp in parallel».

For «GTR studio», clean sense have an impact. But for for «GTR Analog».