KPA and Mastermind GT - songs out of order after rearranging with Rig Manager

• Hi,

I'm remote controlling the KPA Stage with a Midi Footswitch Mastermind GT. It can read all the rig names from the KPA and pre-populate all the banks. This went horribly wrong after I re-arranged profiles with the Rig Manager. I assume that each Rig has an internal index number that is used to identify it but not indicating the order in which they are stored. I also assume that the Mastermind goes by that number when it prepopulates the banks with the rig names. So what seems to happen is that the songs and rigs were created on the KPA like this (X=blanc)

1, 2, 3, X, X

6, 7, X, X, X

11, 12, 13, 14, X

16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Then I used the Rig manager to move them around and now they are stored in some seemingly random order

1, 2, 3, X, X

16, X, X, X, X

6, 7, 8, 9, X

11, 12, 13, 14, 15

The example is not 100% accurate but you get the idea. I thought I might create a backup, factory reset the KPA Stage and then restore then backup in the hope that it would renumber the rigs again in consecutive order and then re-read the names from the Mastermind. But there seems to be no factory reset. I read to use the Rig Manager to blow everything out and then restore again. But that would not 'reorder' the rig numbers.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks

• Rigs are not identified by any fixed index number.

Each Slot in each Performances has an address consisting of a MIDI bank select LSB plus a MIDI program change. Those addresses are fixed and cannot move. The addresses get displayed on the screen on the left side in Performance Mode.

It starts with Slot 1 of Performance 1 (bank select LSB #1 plus program change #1),

Slot 2 of Performance 1 has bank select LSB #1 plus program change #2,

it ends at Slot 5 of Performance 125 with bank select LSB #5 plus program change #113.

If you move content like Rigs from one Slot to another or songs from on Performance to another, the addresses don't follow. If you for example move Song A from Performance 17 to Performance 3 you need to adapt your MIDI foot controller to send bank select #1 and program changes #11-15 associated with Performance 3 Slot 1-5 to load Song A in this new location.

• Ok. So that doesn't fix my problem but it keeps me from wasting a lot of time. To me a bank was always 5 slots. Not 128. But the more important thing I got from your msg is that the Midi Addresses are static. They are like numbered compartments and when Rig Manager moves one song to a different position it well get a midi address that is consistent with 'the compartment'.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond so quickly.

Best,

tom

• There are different kind of banks.

You might be referring to banks as layers of buttons on a foot controller. Banks of five buttons correspond well with our five Slots per Performance. But you could also work with a foot controller offering four, three or ten buttons per bank, if you wanted to. Some foot controllers even allow to configure the number of buttons per bank.

I was referring to MIDI banks. Many people are used to MIDI program changes. But those are limited to 128 (7 bit). So the 625 Slots of our Performance Mode could not be addressed with just those 128 different program change numbers. MIDI allows to extent the address room to 128*128*128 by using a combination of bank select MSB + bank select LSB + program change. We don't use bank select MSB (always needs to stay at 1). We are using bank select LSB (between 1 and 5) plus program change.

Any button of any bank of your foot controller could for example load Performance 67 Slot 4 by sending MIDI bank select LSB 3 plus program change 78.

By the way we offer the Remote, which is plug and play - no MIDI hassle.

• Burkhard,

Thanks for your response. I just found it 2 days ago. Not sure why I don't get email notifications anymore, but that's a different topic.

I had to chew on your response for a moment but I got it working now. This was helpful.

This is my 2nd KPA. I had the toaster with the foot controller and exchanged it for the stage. The reason I still need a midi controller is because I control the lightshow and video projection with it. I used to read the midi out from the Kemper when I changed sounds on the KPA and that triggered changes in the lightshow. 80% of the time that was ok but a bit limiting. The Mastermind is an ingenious device and now that I understand the KPA a bit better I actually control the lightshow with the Mastermind and when it suits me it changes the sound of the KPA.

Thanks again for your help,

tom