Tone Junkie Mystery Amp

• 68 PURPLE PLEXI : I have tried the free profiles and must say it works with my Suhr Modern with humbuckers but not with my Fender Tele or Strat. I am missing the bottom and mid-low end.

For the Suhr I have to tweak on the amp parameters to get a good tone. The free profiles - as given - sound perhaps good for the Sunday morning church, but have nothing to do with Rock, the purpose this amp was build for.

• 68 PURPLE PLEXI : I have tried the free profiles and must say it works with my Suhr Modern with humbuckers but not with my Fender Tele or Strat. I am missing the bottom and mid-low end.

For the Suhr I have to tweak on the amp parameters to get a good tone. The free profiles - as given - sound perhaps good for the Sunday morning church, but have nothing to do with Rock, the purpose this amp was build for.

Yeah Im still waiting to try them. I figured the free profiles might not do much good. I think the paid profiles would be a lot better because there are a lot of different cab and overdrive/distortion options

• I tried the free profiles and they are good but I find they have less in your face presence than, say, the 72 Marshall from Michael Britt's 2020 pack. I tried to change cabs to see if I could regain the high end sharpness but I couldn't get it close enough. Maybe the rest of the profiles in the main pack might be different. I don't know. This was my experience...

• TJ rigs have that tendency. Reducing the amount of reverb helps. It happens with lots of rigs I have tried from orther packs of his. Britt uses reverb moderately if at all, and his rigs usually have that presence. I could not resist, though, and bought the Purple pack, but I have had no time to dig into it yet. There is variety in spades, so I am sure some rigs will be go-to rigs for some stuff.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• TJ rigs have that tendency. Reducing the amount of reverb helps. It happens with lots of rigs I have tried from orther packs of his. Britt uses reverb moderately if at all, and his rigs usually have that presence. I could not resist, though, and bought the Purple pack, but I have had no time to dig into it yet. There is variety in spades, so I am sure some rigs will be go-to rigs for some stuff.

please let us know what you think of the paid profiles. Post some clips if ya can! Good to have multiple sources of the clips instead of just the TJ produced samples which are great

• where are you getting the demo profiles ? cant find them

68 PURPLE PLEXI : I have tried the free profiles and must say it works with my Suhr Modern with humbuckers but not with my Fender Tele or Strat. I am missing the bottom and mid-low end.

• I should have done the free IRs first. I kind of lept in!

For me, they suffer from the same issue as the Top Jimi profiles. They don't have the punch and low end depth for loud/live work. It's like the low end got sucked out. When you compare them against the most recent 68 Plexi and 72 JMP from MBritt, it is very evident. Those two amps were brilliant by the way. The Purple Plexi sounds good tonally, but for me, the only way I'd try to use them is in a recording mix. They are not "live ready" so to speak. Keep in mind...I tend to dial out the low end live on a real tube amp so it's not like I dig woofy or excessive low end in my guitar sound.

It's interesting though. I think this kind of reaffirms to me that a lot of the MBritt magic is coming from that cab of is. Even with his own profiles, the 69 Marshall he did had 3 cabs and the fullest sounding was the 2x12 that he always uses. The 4x12 Marshall with Greenback "should" sound bigger but it did not. It's missing a little bit of the depth.

Maybe I'll try playing with the cabs and swapping them. It's weird though. You would think that 4x12 cabs would sound bigger than 2x12s but that MBritt 2x12 is pretty tough to beat!

• There is an upgrade link in the store., Top left close to the monkey logo. You fill it in with the order number, etc, submit the data, and wait for the link.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• I bought the full package this week. The new ones have a little bit more mids- low end, but still not enough for my personal taste.

What I have done was to change the Cab IR to one from Sinmix /4x12 Mesa / which is free available on his web site. After this it sounds realy good. So in my opinion and for those which are still missing the mid and low ends, the best thing is just to change the cab. The sound coming out from the FRFR Studio speakers reminds me now on the 70/80 Rock. I have not tested it yet through my Bogner 2x12 cab. I will try it once back at the studio.