How do amp nobs translate to the kemper?

• This is a pretty dumb question but how do the levels of a normal amp/head, such as https://images-na.ssl-images-a…Mr--YhB2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg translate to the nobs on the kemper? It's a bit confusing because something like this peavy 6505+ goes from 0-10 while the kemper goes from -5 to 5 in regards to bass, mid, and treble. While I'm at it, is bass/mid/treble the same exact thing as low/mid/high? What do the pre/post nobs translate to on the Kemper? How can you change resonance on the Kemper? I know that's a lot of questions and most of the are dumb but, I'm a noob so, thank you ahead of time!

• They don't. The knobs on the kemper, (with the exception of the gain control which only really works downwards from the highest gain volume on the amp at which it was profiled) are the same as the knobs on a mixing desk after the cab is miced. That means if you adjust the eq on the kemper, you are not changing the eq on the amp. Just on the mic itself. The profile of the amp is a static capture of that amp's settings at time of capture.

• They don't. The knobs on the kemper, (with the exception of the gain control which only really works downwards from the highest gain volume on the amp at which it was profiled) are the same as the knobs on a mixing desk after the cab is miced. That means if you adjust the eq on the kemper, you are not changing the eq on the amp. Just on the mic itself. The profile of the amp is a static capture of that amp's settings at time of capture.

So for example, if an amp was recorded/profiled with a tube screamer, compressor, whatever, those effects will already be baked into a profile and cannot be disabled? So it would be better to take like a plain cab profile and add the effects afterwards maybe?

• So for example, if an amp was recorded/profiled with a tube screamer, compressor, whatever, those effects will already be baked into a profile and cannot be disabled?

Yeah, they'd be baked-in. That might be what you want, however.

So it would be better to take like a plain cab profile and add the effects afterwards maybe?

The exact behaviours of compressors and stomps employed in a setup would've been captured in the Profile, whereas if you add them using the Kemper's FX, you'd be using conventional DSP models and therefore losing something in the way of authenticity, the silver lining being that you'd be able to edit them.

As for your original questions, I know what you were getting at, so with that in mind:

It's a bit confusing because something like this peavy 6505+ goes from 0-10 while the kemper goes from -5 to 5 in regards to bass, mid, and treble.

Just try a 1:1 scale as a starting point. IOW, assume that 5 on the amp = 0 on the Kemper.

While I'm at it, is bass/mid/treble the same exact thing as low/mid/high?

Yes.

What do the pre/post nobs translate to on the Kemper?

You can move the Stack EQ (the tone knobs) pre or post-amp. This can't be done for individual bands; the position is taken by all four knobs.

How can you change resonance on the Kemper?

The Tone Stack knobs aren't adjustable in this way, as is the case with real amps. Resonance is available if you need it in EQ FX, which you can place in any slot.