Kemper Kab with built in power amp???

• I know a guy who has gigged the Gemini lots with no volume issues.

I had my first practice on Monday with the Kabinet, and as long as you have the right amp it will keep up with anything.

Hi dmatthews, a 1x12 keeps up with a drummer and everything else? I know you tole me earlier that you use a Seymour Duncan SD700 which has tons of power. Perhaps I'm relying on what I know about most 1x12 combos but usually they are not very loud for a band setup but great in studio. This is new territory for me.

• Hi dmatthews, a 1x12 keeps up with a drummer and everything else? I know you tole me earlier that you use a Seymour Duncan SD700 which has tons of power. Perhaps I'm relying on what I know about most 1x12 combos but usually they are not very loud for a band setup but great in studio. This is new territory for me.

Well the Kone speaker can take 200w so I'm thinking that helps. Had the kemper volumes all at noon, and the SD700 as well, no problems and nothing was working hard.

• for over 25yrs I used a Mesa Thiele ported 1x12 EVM12L cabinet in a 10 piece band with no problems. If you think a drummer is loud you should try standing 3 feet in front of a 5 piece brass section ?

I must rethink the 1x12 then. The 1x12 caps and combos I've always owned, they were left behind in the sound of the band causing much frustration not to be heard as well as needed. Even with a Marshall 100w head the 1x12 failed to cut through the noise. What is the difference , I am not an audio engineer per se but is it these higher powered speaker designs as opposed to 30w greenbacks?

• I must rethink the 1x12 then. The 1x12 caps and combos I've always owned, they were left behind in the sound of the band causing much frustration not to be heard as well as needed. Even with a Marshall 100w head the 1x12 failed to cut through the noise. What is the difference , I am not an audio engineer per se but is it these higher powered speaker designs as opposed to 30w greenbacks?

Still, I'd bet a 2x12 loaded with Kones, or a 4x12 loaded the same would be... glorious!

• You guys are def helping me make better educated decisions. Re-using an ol 2x12 Marshall cab with the Kones would probably be the smartest thing and figure out which power amp will do the trick.

I'd like to run the cab in stereo, I guess one speaker per l/r channel of the power amp, or is "straight up mono" with the 2 speakers wired together a wiser choice?

• You guys are def helping me make better educated decisions. Re-using an ol 2x12 Marshall cab with the Kones would probably be the smartest thing and figure out which power amp will do the trick.

I'd like to run the cab in stereo, I guess one speaker per l/r channel of the power amp, or is "straight up mono" with the 2 speakers wired together a wiser choice?

I guess it also depends on what you're willing to haul around if you're jamming or gigging.

I'm done hauling my Avatar 2x12 with V30s, it weighs a ton.

If you're a home player then if you have the room a 4x12 would be fun too.

That being said the 1x12 Kabinet totally fills my boots at home.

For stereo I've opted to have two Kabinets (one is being made for me at the moment). That way I have choices. I can leave one at our practice studio, and one at home, and bring either one to the other place to run stereo when I want. At 27lbs it's an easy carry.

I am also very curious about putting two Kones in my 2x12 and wiring it for stereo.

As long as you have a class D amp with enough power, and able to do 4ohms and up you're good to go.

• i don’t run stereo but have often used 2 separate 1x12 in mono rather than a 2x2 because it gives better sound spread on stage and is easier to carry.

If you want to go stereo in a 2x12 consider wiring for stereo/mono use. I did this to a Mesa Recto 212 by replacing t he through jack with a second input. The new input is a stereo plug which acts as switch. One plug in gives both speakers in mono. Plug the second one in and the switch automatically splits the signal to two separate speakers for stereo use. You can find the wiring diagrams easily on the internet.

• If you would like the option to go with stereo, this jack plate will supply all the wiring and switching for you - piece of cake to install, replacing the existing jack plate. It gives you the choice of stereo 4 Ohm and mono 8 ohm and 2 Ohm with a pair of Kones in a 2x12 - it just depends which input socket(s) you plug your power amp into. Just tape over/avoid the 2 Ohm socket if your amp is not capable of supporting such a low impedance

https://www.amplifiedparts.com…plug-and-play-mono-stereo

• If you would like the option to go with stereo, this jack plate will supply all the wiring and switching for you - piece of cake to install, replacing the existing jack plate. It gives you the choice of stereo 4 Ohm and mono 8 ohm and 2 Ohm with a pair of Kones in a 2x12 - it just depends which input socket(s) you plug your power amp into. Just tape over/avoid the 2 Ohm socket if your amp is not capable of supporting such a low impedance

https://www.amplifiedparts.com…plug-and-play-mono-stereo

Antipodes Thank you, so awesome of you. That part will be perfect and only 20 bucks...

• I have not yet tried hooking this ol badboy up but in this era of really high powered amps like the ICE or Seymour Duncan's like you guys were discussing in this thread etc.. would and old school Alesis-RA100 rack amp work out fairly well? I actually have 2 of these things in storage, can they be wired together for 200 watts mono (plz don't laugh hahahha probably a way sto0000opid question but I don't know lol).

For a stereo cab maybe I could see if I could run 1 for Left and 1 for Right outs for a 2x12 cabinet, each speaker gets their own amp??

*Dumb idea I presume but before running all over the place to get these hooked up or shelling out $500 or more for an amp maybe some of you cats could lend some experience/knowledge my way.

Ooh hell I don't know lol :)

Thx

• that amp should work fine. The main advantage of the newer class D amps is how small and light they are. The old Alesis is a beast to lug around but it should still get the job done.

Hi Alan, thank you for the wisdom. Yeah it's heavy but for now it is usable gear which is a good thing until I can upgrade into something current and more portable. Can't wait to experiment with amplifying the sounds, I'm less than 2 weeks old with my Stage and learning how to do reamping in PT 10, my Lord it even makes a DI from an acoustic gtr sound amazing through a Fender Bassman patch.

• Just to add....

I've been running a 1x12 FRFR cab for about 2 years now and have no problem keeping up volume wise. Having said that, as mentioned, its less about volume but about "cut" in the mix. I found that FRFR type cabs ( I say type as the Kone is a bit more than that) have more versatility as they don;t "smooth" the sound out.

• SERIOUS? I figured it was just a mono amp. wow cool thank you

the alesis is stereo but 60watts only, as far as I remember. I used one with alesis monitors a million years ago. Loud enough for home or studio, but probablly not so for live work except as your monitor. But try ! No dime to pay!

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• the alesis is stereo but 60watts only, as far as I remember. I used one with alesis monitors a million years ago. Loud enough for home or studio, but probablly not so for live work except as your monitor. But try ! No dime to pay!

Manual says 100 watts per channel into 4Ω, 75 watts per channel into 8Ω so it might do a Kabinet nicely.