Kemper Kab with built in power amp???

• Just to add....

I've been running a 1x12 FRFR cab for about 2 years now and have no problem keeping up volume wise. Having said that, as mentioned, its less about volume but about "cut" in the mix. I found that FRFR type cabs ( I say type as the Kone is a bit more than that) have more versatility as they don;t "smooth" the sound out.

Hi V8guitar, which FRFR cab are you using if I may as so bold to ask? I'm still in Kemper Kindergarten basically lol and all of this discussion is pretty new to me, so the Kemper Kone is different than what companies load into an FRFR, gotta do my research but it seems like a regular Celelstion type of speaker would be put in an FRFR?

• Hi V8guitar, which FRFR cab are you using if I may as so bold to ask? I'm still in Kemper Kindergarten basically lol and all of this discussion is pretty new to me, so the Kemper Kone is different than what companies load into an FRFR, gotta do my research but it seems like a regular Celelstion type of speaker would be put in an FRFR?

FRFR will use a full range speaker and not a regular guitar speaker. Celestion does make FRFR speakers for sure. Kemper Kone is a modified Celestion.

• Hi V8guitar, which FRFR cab are you using if I may as so bold to ask? I'm still in Kemper Kindergarten basically lol and all of this discussion is pretty new to me, so the Kemper Kone is different than what companies load into an FRFR, gotta do my research but it seems like a regular Celelstion type of speaker would be put in an FRFR?

Just to let you know I use a powered rack so my cabs are un-powered.

I first used a PA wedge (1x12) after trying a few and finding the best sounding one...it was relatively cheap at about £180.

I then bought a second hand one of these:

https://digitalguitargear.com/camper-plus/

I've now got the Kabinet although not gigged it yet.

I gig in a dual guitar band playing 80's hair metal. We play pretty loud and I've never come close to maxing out as the clarity and spread cuts well.

• This....

I used to tote around a VHT 4x12 with P90 speakers AND a 2x12 VHT fat bottom cab .... AND of course, a VHT Ultralead head.

..... and I used to be much younger ;).

I generally don't play long with a band that has stage volume so loud that a 1x12 can't more than hold its own. I would state however, that when I didn't have a KPA and give a feed directly to the FOH, I always mic'ed my cab. The guitar cab (for me) was only to provide me monitoring on stage, and put enough air movement in place to get some string action going when needed. I haven't had my amp provide FOH sound since high school ..... which was REALLY a long time ago :).

The primary reason for giving up my venerable VHT rig wasn't sound quality. I really loved that rig. Have you ever lifted a VHT 4x12 slant top cab before? All that tight punchy bottom comes at the price of REALLY heavy wood. I bought the Kemper to go to a much lighter, and easier to setup gig rig. The tone was just a welcomed surprise really. I was prepared for the tone to be a let down in order to get a lighter, smaller, easier to setup rig.

I am now seriously considering a Kemper Kabinet. I would need to purchase a 1 space power amp. My Kemper Rack is in a 4 space SKB, so a light, rack mounted power amp and a Kabinet would be really nice for jamming with bands that don't use IEM's and go direct into the PA as I do with my own PA.

• Replace VHT with ENGL and this is my experience almost exactly!! Dude, I cannot agree more!

• replace VHR and Engl with Mesa

Same here with ENGL and MESA. I still own the ENGL 4x12 PRO cab (you need very good friends to carry this around...) and two MESA Thiele 1x12s (with EV speakers) which I always loved for their fullness and flexibility especially in terms of the setup. Still they couldn't fully keep up with the 4x12 despite all the marketing and the Petrucci-vibe in it. Finally all the sound guys got a worried face in those small to medium venues which we usually play 8o

Meanwhile I am so happy with my Kemper over PA and FRFR wedge monitor for my personal pleasure. Having a great sound, significantly less gear and weight with me. Still the sound is absolutely fine (or mostly even better) for any live occasion.

I totally understand your doubts halipino regarding classical 1x12 cabs which do not cut through in a bigger band depending on the volume and style. Same experience here. As the guys say here with Kabinet / Kone or FRFR you should be in a way better position with the Kemper. Nevertheless there is no way of figuring out without trying. Some people here in the forum went back to classical cabs after long time with FRFR.... so there is always personal taste and feel-well involved...

• and two MESA Thiele 1x12s (with EV speakers) which I always loved for their fullness and flexibility especially in terms of the setup.

i got tw of those in 1995 and still have them. Absolutely love them. They were my favourite speakers with the Mesa rigs and worked like a dream with the powered toaster too.

• Same here with ENGL and MESA. I still own the ENGL 4x12 PRO cab (you need very good friends to carry this around...) and two MESA Thiele 1x12s (with EV speakers) which I always loved for their fullness and flexibility especially in terms of the setup. Still they couldn't fully keep up with the 4x12 despite all the marketing and the Petrucci-vibe in it. Finally all the sound guys got a worried face in those small to medium venues which we usually play 8o

Meanwhile I am so happy with my Kemper over PA and FRFR wedge monitor for my personal pleasure. Having a great sound, significantly less gear and weight with me. Still the sound is absolutely fine (or mostly even better) for any live occasion.

I totally understand your doubts halipino regarding classical 1x12 cabs which do not cut through in a bigger band depending on the volume and style. Same experience here. As the guys say here with Kabinet / Kone or FRFR you should be in a way better position with the Kemper. Nevertheless there is no way of figuring out without trying. Some people here in the forum went back to classical cabs after long time with FRFR.... so there is always personal taste and feel-well involved...

Hi deadman42, lol yes I totally get it, without trying stuff out it's only theory but your and all the other guys stories are truly helping me acclimate to a new way of thinking about sound. And yes I was nowhere to be found without a Marshall Full Stack in tow. The good ol days.

Thank you

• i got tw of those in 1995 and still have them. Absolutely love them. They were my favourite speakers with the Mesa rigs and worked like a dream with the powered toaster too.

Yep, the MESA Thieles will be the last ones to go from my other gear. ENGL 4x12 and 2x12 first :) And the MESAs kept me away from a powered Kemper as I always knew I would still go in a stereo setup with them. Actually so far I did not really go for that with the Kemper and the cabs but knowing I could is a good thing. On the very few days in rehearsal with the band when I feel the need to smell some valves becoming hot I have the MESAs attached to my stereo ENGL Rackhead 860. Pure and raw power. Usually I quickly get back to the Kemper then after some time of enjoying that... 8o

• ...are truly helping me acclimate to a new way of thinking about sound. ..

This was the biggest thing for me....I stopped focusing on my backline sound and more on my FOH sound. With many of the compromises removed ( e.g. limit of 2 or 3 channels), you can re- think you're whole approach. This is why I get a bit vocal regarding external pedals as for me they are just not necessary. Unfortunately as guitarists, we are never happy, we continue to increase our want list :)

It was only after getting a KPA I realised:

1) Cabs have a much bigger effect on the sound than I ever knew

2) My backline is only for my monitoring and therefore as long as that sounds good enough, then the emphasis is on FOH. The "thump" or "Amp in the room" sound that some people say is missing with digital gear has become less important...because you are the only one that hears it after its been processed through a PA.

3) Even though the KPA is almost limitless in its capabilities, simple is best. Its about the music, not have a different sound for every section of a song or endlessly looking at profiles for sonic nirvana..

• Replace VHT with ENGL and this is my experience almost exactly!! Dude, I cannot agree more!

Yea, I spent the better part of 20 years going through different pedals and amps to get to the VHT rig I had. Sadly, that timeframe ALSO lined up with the busiest gigging in my life and me going into my 40's (now in my 50s). Those late nights lugging all that gear back home after a crazy night of jammin just got to be overwhelming (also had 15" 3 way tops and CV folded horns back then to schlep around).

For me, the KPA, foot controller, and either a FRFR speaker or the Kabinet is the IDEAL gigging setup in the world. No amount of money can get you a better sounding, easier to setup, more reliably great rig.

Even my venerable VHT head let me down one Thursday before a busy 3 gig weekend. What was cool is Steve Fryette actually called me to help me work through biasing the amp after my tubes blew. Pretty great guy, and a great company really.

Now, no tubes to blow :). Don't have to worry about moving my rig while it is hot (btw, this can make your tubes go bad), and everything is sooooooo easy to get right.

I am watching carefully for a consensus on these forums on what rack mount amp works best with the new Kabinet. Might need a Christmas present for myself this year :)

Now what is really messed up is that with COVID, I don't move anything anywhere! Of course, this wont last forever .... I hope!

• ^^^I'm incapable of arguing this^^^

Not sure what your power needs are, but for a rack unit I'd look at the Seymour Duncan Powerstage SD700. All the power you'd ever need, but...

It's not a 1u, and the inputs are on the front. Those are the only knocks IMHO.

Mono or stereo it totally covers the bases.

I also have an ISP Stealth Pro. That can fit 1u I believe but has less headroom.

• ^^^I'm incapable of arguing this^^^

Not sure what your power needs are, but for a rack unit I'd look at the Seymour Duncan Powerstage SD700. All the power you'd ever need, but...

It's not a 1u, and the inputs are on the front. Those are the only knocks IMHO.

Mono or stereo it totally covers the bases.

I also have an ISP Stealth Pro. That can fit 1u I believe but has less headroom.

I hear a lot of you cats talking about the Seymour Duncan Powerstage SD700, technically I'm one of SD's artists so I can get a good break on one when the time comes. Who knows maybe they will refine the housing to what you were saying about it not being a 1u?

• the alesis is stereo but 60watts only, as far as I remember. I used one with alesis monitors a million years ago. Loud enough for home or studio, but probablly not so for live work except as your monitor. But try ! No dime to pay!

Manual says 100 watts per channel into 4Ω, 75 watts per channel into 8Ω so it might do a Kabinet nicely.

i use an RA-100 to power my cab with F12X200, it's a robust poweramp, zero noise level.. it worked flawlessly, but they are heavy to transport ..

i think for home use or rehearsals.. is powerful enough..

• i use an RA-100 to power my cab with F12X200, it's a robust poweramp, zero noise level.. it worked flawlessly, but they are heavy to transport ..

i think for home use or rehearsals.. is powerful enough..

Hi leandroneves, wowo cool so you have been using the RA amp! That is good news and yes it weighs a ton of solid lead, like a good ol 70's muscle car. With the F12X200 are you running 1, 2 or 4 speaker cab? Kinda curious since I'm so new to the Kemper world would the Celestion F12-X200 be a wise a choice as say the Kemper Kone? I heard the Kone is a different animal than a regular speaker...?

• Hi leandroneves, wowo cool so you have been using the RA amp! That is good news and yes it weighs a ton of solid lead, like a good ol 70's muscle car. With the F12X200 are you running 1, 2 or 4 speaker cab? Kinda curious since I'm so new to the Kemper world would the Celestion F12-X200 be a wise a choice as say the Kemper Kone? I heard the Kone is a different animal than a regular speaker...?

that's right :D

i'm running one F12X200 in a 2x12 cab and for me it gives a feel of an "oversized" cab you know? i do not know if Kone makes A LOT of difference to F12X200.. i do not make personally an A/B because i do not have a Kone.. but Michael Nielsen from Big Hairy Guitars compared it with F12X200 in a Kone review.. i did not feel so much difference .. justifiable for a change .. at least based on there for me.

Kone for sure integrates better with imprints feature for example. due to the fact that F12X200 has a different FRFR design, even so I think it is not too far, and an EQ ... can level things out..