Kemper Kab with built in power amp???

• The disperion pattern, of the Kone resembles that of a normal 12" guitar speaker - by design. I gather that was the intention according to statements by CK. Interesting points otherwise.

I can tell you through experience the Kabinet "seems" to have a much better dispersion....

• In my experience the Kone dispersion is only a little better compared to a normal guitar speaker. At home I have a stereo setup (2 x 1 x12 with Kones) and still I have to stand in the sweet spot. If I move a little the sounds changes quickly.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• In my experience the Kone dispersion is only a little better compared to a normal guitar speaker. At home I have a stereo setup (2 x 1 x12 with Kones) and still I have to stand in the sweet spot. If I move a little the sounds changes quickly.

I have a similar setup. I have only used it in small spaces so far so I can't really say how it goes on a stage in a hall wrt dispersion but is seems pretty much like other 2x12s I use.

• I haven't been able to try the Kone in a large space either, but if I recall CK mentioned in the Kone & Kab Q&A thread that the Kone does have a wider dispersion pattern than regular guitar speakers.

Had a rehearsal last night and it felt like a much better dispersion pattern. I virtually stood on top of my kabinet (flat on the floor) and then moved to the "sweet spot" and the difference was less noticeable ( from memory) with a regular cab ( 4x12)

• I have a similar setup. I have only used it in small spaces so far so I can't really say how it goes on a stage in a hall wrt dispersion but is seems pretty much like other 2x12s I use.

Same here. My room is quite small (approx. 15 m²), so no experience with bigger rooms/stages.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Had a rehearsal last night and it felt like a much better dispersion pattern. I virtually stood on top of my kabinet (flat on the floor) and then moved to the "sweet spot" and the difference was less noticeable ( from memory) with a regular cab ( 4x12)

To be fair, a laser beam has a slightly wider dispersion pattern than a 4x12 ?

• Finally I could test the Kabinet against my 4x12 Marshall.
    Well, it wasn't really a test... we wanted to start rehearsing and just trying to find the correct volume the Kone in the Kabinet started smelling (hope it's still ok). And yes, I tried to turn off the bass boost.

We play quite loud and we use ear protection since we have a loud drummer. But the 1x12 Kabinet does not come even close to the needed volume. It's just to small.

It's just not correct if some people say that the Kabinet would be loud enough for a Rock band with a loud drummer and another Guitar player with 4x12...

never thought that I would like the Kemper that much...! 8|

• Finally I could test the Kabinet against my 4x12 Marshall.
    Well, it wasn't really a test... we wanted to start rehearsing and just trying to find the correct volume the Kone in the Kabinet started smelling (hope it's still ok). And yes, I tried to turn off the bass boost.

We play quite loud and we use ear protection since we have a loud drummer. But the 1x12 Kabinet does not come even close to the needed volume. It's just to small.

It's just not correct if some people say that the Kabinet would be loud enough for a Rock band with a loud drummer and another Guitar player with 4x12...

I use the Kone and I am currently the only guitar player in our band. I use a second cabinet as a stand. So for me the 200 W Cab is sufficient. Apparently there is not loads of headroom left. Personally it depends on the guitar tone you prefer. If it is an extreme scooped sound success of being heard as competing a loud drummer is hard.

Before that I was playing against a 4x12 with a Mesa Rectifier and I could hear myself very good. The other guitar player in our band was rather scooping his tone. With two guitar players I often experienced loudness wars. Guess why there is only me in the band. This does not make a good band mix. Both of you have to decide what frequencies to provide to the other. The other player has to shape the tone with other frequencies than you use. There is the magic in my opinion.

So it works but surely not for all circumstances…

• It's just not correct if some people say that the Kabinet would be loud enough for a Rock band with a loud drummer and another Guitar player with 4x12...

I agree with Stefan, it's not just about volume but more about frequency choices. Also, placement. If your rehearsal space is very small you will be very close to the drummer and other guitarist which will cause problems. In a larger space you are further away from the drummer so he isn't as loud where you are standing. With a good sound with enough mids and not too much highs and lows plus a reasonably large space the Kone should be easily loud enough to compete with any drummer.

• It's just not correct if some people say that the Kabinet would be loud enough for a Rock band with a loud drummer and another Guitar player with 4x12...

Totally disagree.

I have been using my kabinet for about 6 months now. I play in 2 rock bands with a very loud drummer. Last rehearsal I had to turn mine down as I was too loud. The other lguitarist uses a 4 x12 at rehearsal ( with a powered toaster).

The volume I get from the Kabinet is ear splitting.

If you are getting a smell from it, sounds like a fault. Id be interested in what power you are putting through it ( what does your power meter say)?

• Thanks a lot for your opinions !!!

Ok, I'll check again next time and I'll monitor the power meter. But I'll be very careful this time. I would be very happy if it worked !!! Would be great to carry around only the Kabinet :)

Our rehearsal place is quite big, we are not very close to each other.

About the sound: I used a very good JCM800 profile which sounds great with my 4x12 (V30) and also with the Kone (V30 Setting). If I turned down the bass with the Kone, of course it would get much louder, but then the sound would not be the same anymore. I'm aware that the low frequencies are using most of the power and tuning them down, the volume can be higher.

But my intention is to replicate (more or less) the sound of my 4x12 and not just to be loud enough. If I turn back the highs and the lows I won't achieve the sound of the 4x12.

By the way, it would be great if I could talk about sound and frequencies with our bass player and the other guitarist, but unfortunately in this band that's too much ask for...

• I initially bought an unpowered rack and Mission Gemini 2x12. Which is very LOUD. More volume than I need...

I bought one powered cab and thought it may not be loud enough in a band situation. I have since bought a second powered cab and with both cabs I feel it is more than loud enough. I'll be rehearsing with them soon but I am not concerned about lack of volume.

That being said I think that one cab is loud enough. Once I adjusted the power meter it was much louder as well.

• Well, to conclude this very long and informative thread, I purchased 2 Kone speakers for my 2x12 Marshall cab and can't wait to install them and see whats up. Wasn't entirely pleased with the sound of the stage running through the Celestion 30w's so I am excited that the true tone of the rigs will be there.

• i bought the powered cab and thought this is my dream rig, tweaked with the imprints during rehearsals but was not 100% satisfied. Now i go with my yamaha dxr10 and the feel and sound is back. Strange story but what should i do dxr works for me best.?

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• i bought the powered cab and thought this is my dream rig, tweaked with the imprints during rehearsals but was not 100% satisfied. Now i go with my yamaha dxr10 and the feel and sound is back. Strange story but what should i do dxr works for me best.?

Whenever you change your monitoring system you need to re-look at your whole sound. FRFR sounds quite different to the Kone.

In other words, the Kone will sound different not instantly "better".

When I go back to FRFR I don't like it.

• Well, to conclude this very long and informative thread, I purchased 2 Kone speakers for my 2x12 Marshall cab and can't wait to install them and see whats up. Wasn't entirely pleased with the sound of the stage running through the Celestion 30w's so I am excited that the true tone of the rigs will be there.

:):thumbup:
    I'll do the same in about 2 weeks. I'll put 2 Kones in a Marshall 2x12 Cabinet. I'll keep you posted.